• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no spiked bucklers?

mooby

First Post
The spiked buckler has been a valid option since 1e. Why can't somebody throw some spikes on a buckler shield and use it as a weapon (1d4, P, x2 Crit)?

Just doesn't seem to make sense to me that it isn't possible. The only thing I can think of is a balance issue concerning small shields.

prodawg

First Post
I would think that it's a balance issue as well. Bucklers allows the user to still have that hand "free." And that is a big advantage as it is.

diaglo

Adventurer
that hand is not completely free.

if you attack with a weapon in that hand you suffer the armor check penalty of the buckler for its weight. -1 if not MW.

you also lose the AC bonus of the buckler if you use that hand.

i think you are right though about the spiked buckler. maybe they were afraid to allow it b/c you would have the crazy people using their buckler to spike someone and then attacking with the weapon held in that hand also. although, it should be one or the other.

MadScientist

First Post
In my mind I don't think the buckler spikes you offered (1d4, P, 20/x2) would pose a major threat to game balance. They would probably be most useful to TWF, archer types who don't want to have to drop their sheild to use their bow. Even in this case a 1d4 damage weapon at -2 atk is a pretty modest ability, even if it is a flexible combo.

I wouldn't want to give the buckler spikes a 1d6 because that would trump the small sheild all around.

Sejs

First Post
So if I'm wearing a spiked buckler on each arm, and a weapon in each hand - I'm effectivly using 4 weapons. Take a level of monk and I can make an 'off hand' type attack with feet/elbows/knees/head/etc.. that's 5 weapons. Level of ranger to get TWF/Ambidex for free. Blow a feat for Shield Expert, and then take Multiweapon Fighting!

So uhm yeah.. spiked bucklers. Balance issue. Possibly a big 'un.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Dont you need multiple appendages to use multiple weapon fighting?

Wouldn't wearing bucklers negate your monk abilities?

And you can't use a weapon in a hand and at the same time attack with the shield on your arm. That would be just wrong.

Maitre D

The_lone_gunman

First Post
Sejs said:
So if I'm wearing a spiked buckler on each arm, and a weapon in each hand - I'm effectivly using 4 weapons. Take a level of monk and I can make an 'off hand' type attack with feet/elbows/knees/head/etc.. that's 5 weapons. Level of ranger to get TWF/Ambidex for free. Blow a feat for Shield Expert, and then take Multiweapon Fighting!

So uhm yeah.. spiked bucklers. Balance issue. Possibly a big 'un.

Yeah, but that is so incredibly cheese buckety that I would have that character filet'ed by a major baddie, raised with a nasty undead template, advanced 5 levels above the party, and then have him hunt down all remaining characters that the player choose to play until said player curled up in the corner whimpering "uncle".

I would allow it if the player doesnt get stupid on me.

TLG

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Dont you need multiple appendages to use multiple weapon fighting?

Gray area - while I do have only two -hands- I am at the same time wielding more than two -weapons-. Could argue it either way. *shrug*

Wouldn't wearing bucklers negate your monk abilities?
It would negate some of them, yep. I would lose my wis bonus to Ac, any innate monk ac bonus, more favorable number of attacks, and unarmored speed bonuses. Additionally any special monk abilities would be subject to Arcane Spell Failure percentage, which for a buckler is quite acceptably low. It could also be argued that it says a monk in 'armor' has these penalties, but makes no mention of shields.. monks just arn't normally proficient in their use. (Personal oppinion, however is that monks using shields face the same penalties as if they were wearing armor)

And you can't use a weapon in a hand and at the same time attack with the shield on your arm. That would be just wrong.

Another gray area. It's effectivly another 'off hand weapon' without actually being in another hand, which again could be argued either way. Personally, I'd say no go - attack with the weapon in hand or the spiked buckler.

But you can see the potential for problems or abuse that spiked bucklers could bring up. Which was the point.

^_^

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Oh, ok then.

That buckler-wielding monk should also get bladed boots for maximum efficiency...

edit: actually, the prereq for multiweapon is 3 or more hands.

Last edited:

Remove ads