• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no WotC M:tG and D&D crossover?

I think that it would be a good idea as well. They have the base materials for many, many different settings already in the Magic continuity (meaning many many different sourcebooks), and the monsters/spells would be relatively easy to handle (since you already know the relative powers of each).
Of course, it would be a chance to try to do some of the things I've done at one point or another (tried to classify D&D spells as colors, tried to make a class that used a Magic the Gathering deck in 2e, etc). It would need a new magic system (that fits the feel of the game), and it would probably need a couple new classes (various mages, probably, including fighter/mages and full out planeswalkers).
Of course, all this begs the question, why doesn't a fan try to work the idea out? Work out a bunch of the creatures, model several of the spells, and write up a new magic system including a few classes? I'd be willing to work on it, and I'm sure there are a couple others out there that would as well.

Halivar

First Post
Magius del Cotto said:
Of course, all this begs the question, why doesn't a fan try to work the idea out? Work out a bunch of the creatures, model several of the spells, and write up a new magic system including a few classes? I'd be willing to work on it, and I'm sure there are a couple others out there that would as well.
I would love to do it myself, but I'm not kidding myself; WotC would sue me into oblivion. If this is going to be done, it's going to be by WotC and only WotC.

Tewligan

First Post
the Jester said:
I'm for a monster book and maybe a book of spells.

I doubt whether I'd buy a setting or anything like that, though I might if it looked cool enough. But I run my own world, so I doubt I'd ever use it.
Ooh, I'd buy the hell out of a M:tG monster book!

Zappo

Explorer
I would love a similar product, and I ran a poll about it one or two years ago.
If not a full setting, I think that a monster book featuring some of the most famous and loved creatures would be really appreciated.

And, of course, a book of spells, though I think it would be even better as a full alternative D20 magic system.

Phoenix8008

First Post
SOmeone on these boards has already statted out the slivers for D20. Not sure what forum it was in (Conversions maybe?), but I copied them all and downloaded them onto my PC. COOL stuff. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere...

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Basically it's because some of the brand people for Magic didn't want a crossover monster book unless the book could maintain the Magic brand's tenets, including collectability.

Trust me, the idea of a Magic RPG, or even just a Magic monster book, was a VERY popular idea among the RPG designers (and possibly the Magic designers as well, though I didn't talk to many of them about it).

I don't play and have never played MtG before, but I was interested in the "universe" very much. I wrote a letter to WoTC suggesting such a crossover when 3E was announced. They responded, but made it clear that that was not going to be an option - either Greyhawk or FR was to be the core setting...

They might as well use all the IP and art rights they already own though. Seems like a real no brainer to me.

mooby

First Post
They should just release some campaign settings, just like Dragonlance or Forgotten realms.

If you don't want it, doin't use it

Remove ads