• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why oh why do they hate my NPCs?

Sir Robilar

First Post
So it´s like that quite often: I introduce a cool new NPC into the game. Often a funny guy or a really interesting character. Someone with a lot of thought behind, meant to give an exciting twist to the game or just to be the nice one that the player characters can depend on in the future.

However, from the first moment on, the players HATE this NPC. I don´t know why and it really seems random at times, but they don´t get along with the NPC at all. He/she treats them nice, gives them presents or helps them with important information. They take everything without giving thanks, turn around and call him an ass.

On the contrary, the players often love some random NPC that I just make up on the way, invite him/her to dinner and bar mitzvah or even gain a love interest.

So my question to the experienced DMs and players is: Why? What makes a NPC likeable? And are your players as unfriendly as mine?

Cheers,
Rob.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So it´s like that quite often: I introduce a cool new NPC into the game. Often a funny guy or a really interesting character. Someone with a lot of thought behind, meant to give an exciting twist to the game or just to be the nice one that the player characters can depend on in the future.

However, from the first moment on, the players HATE this NPC. I don´t know why and it really seems random at times, but they don´t get along with the NPC at all. He/she treats them nice, gives them presents or helps them with important information. They take everything without giving thanks, turn around and call him an ass.

On the contrary, the players often love some random NPC that I just make up on the way, invite him/her to dinner and bar mitzvah or even gain a love interest.

So my question to the experienced DMs and players is: Why? What makes a NPC likeable? And are your players as unfriendly as mine?

Cheers,
Rob.

Players (especially oldschool experienced players) seem to be mistrustful of (especially) friendly NPCs because they think the friendliness is a sign that they're about to get royally hosed (it took me years to break some players of this mistrust from prior experiences). I'm not saying it's rational but it sure is there.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So it´s like that quite often: I introduce a cool new NPC into the game. Often a funny guy or a really interesting character. Someone with a lot of thought behind,...

There's your problem.

Indeed. Often a character will have too much depth or importance, and it will be readily apparent. There are only three kinds of important characters in RPGS: The PCs The BBEGs, and the DMPCs (which range from spotlight hogs to living Mcguffins). The first two make for a fun game, the later not so much.

Maybe they are just trying to collectively ween you off of having important characters so they can be the important characters.

pawsplay

Hero
I was thinking more along the lines that if you try to hard to make a character cool, funny, and interesting, you may be trying to hard. Also, it's a situation ripe for investing your own ego into an NPC.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Thats right- all NPCs should be soulless, useless peasants. Name them all Bob, except the females; name them Sue. This will drive home the fact that the NPCs are all unimportant, and that the characters are who really matter.

One of the Best NPCs in my games was a short and pudgy low level wizard who went by the name of "Bob the Fighter." He and his pet pig where henchmen of the group, completely disposable, and absurdly devoted to the group despite being only having a contract as a connection. After completing a series of adventures where the players sent him on suicide missions and had him do exceptionally dangerous tactics while in combat, they promoted him to a full partner. Later on a new player used him as their PC.

After all, there is a difference between "important" and "useful." :cool:

S'mon

Legend
I think it's very tricky trying to create a "likeable" NPC - many players will automatically dislike them, just on principle! It's good to put a bit of depth into NPCs, especially recurring ones, but do so without any expectations of how the players will react to them. They may hate your Ace Rimmers and love your Arnold Rimmers.

I think "treats them nice, gives them presents or helps them with important information" should be careful to derive from the NPC's own motivations, not your goal as GM to have the players like that NPC. A too-solicitous NPC could easily come across as creepy and annoying. Ironically, if you *try* to make the NPC creepy and annoying, the players may really enjoy interacting with them. Most of all, remember that the PCs are the stars of the show, they don't want to see GMPCs hogging spotlight time.

balam_br

Explorer
I hate when the DM puts his own characters to travel with the party... lots of times he is there to solve problems created to be solved by him, give suggestions of what we need to do and this suggestions just cant be ignored, and overall, be a tool for the DM to play with himself.

Ok, im being harsh, but that´s my experience.

Remove ads