• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why oh why do they hate my NPCs?

NewJeffCT

First Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, I just find that hilarious because of one thing.

Recently, I started running out of random names to give random NPCs that didn't matter. These NPCs are simply the background characters that my PCs think they should interact with just to see how long it takes me to run out of names.

In response to this, I started naming all these largely useless and unimportant NPCs "Bob".

It turned into an on running gag, eventually leading us to collectively know these useless NPCs as "Disposable Bobs". We call female disposables Bobbeta.

Since I'm terrible at coming up with names on the spot, I usually overcome that by having a big list of region appropriate names, both male & female and also for any common non-human races in the area.

Numlock

First Post
When making n NPC I do three things:

1) Simplistic background - name, race, sex, occupation, classes if any, immediate family if any.

2) Basic physical description - hair, eyes, ht, wt, scars, deformities, mannerisms, etc.

3) Take notes when the characters interact for the first time -
This is where I think I end up with memorable NPCs. You never have a second chance to make a first impression, so if it goes south, scrap em and start over. Give an excuse as to why they aren't there anymore - killed, moved, eaten by his children, whatever and move on. If they on the other hand like him/her, clue in to why. Flesh this out and THEN build a more in-depth NPC

Great way of doing this. I really like to see some people here who are willing to try things out, and figuring out what pleases (no pun intended) their players the most. I have the feeling a lot of DM's on this forum who will just kick a player if they want something else than the DM's railroad.
Keep it up, Thunderfoot!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads