• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why only two at will powers?

Stalker0

Legend
Currently, each class has 4 at will possibilities to choose from. Of those, they choose 2.

If every class every example get to eventually choose 4, they every copy of that class would have the same at-wills. And as levels get higher, you gain more encounter and daily powers, which you should be using more than your at-wills.

That's a solid argument, but frankly I think WOTC should have added more than 4 at wills!! I mean, that's not a lot of customization right there. I'm sure more at wills will be added in later books, but 4 is just a really low number when you choose half of them at 1st level.

Ravingdork

Explorer
A Human multiclassed at the Paragon tier can have up to 4 at wills. That strikes me as pretty crazy already considering all the encounter/dailies he will have from, what? 4 or 5 other sources?

keterys

First Post
Don't expect magic items to provide meaningful at-wills.

Free action to make my weapon burst into flame does not a meaningful standard action make.

Kobu

First Post
I have played a warlock for some time and one of the issues with them is the dearth of options, even at high levels. As fun as they can be, warlocks can get very repetitive. I do hope 4E plays better but I think it is a cause for concern.

Perhaps there will be more options to build versatility vs. pure power such as a feat to give up an encounter power for two at-wills.

hcm

First Post
So:

1) It might be difficult to create at will powers that are different from one another in a meaningful way, and so the total number to choose from for each class needs to be kept low (for instance 4 per class), especially considering that there are many more classes coming in future books and that classes need to play differently. (It follows from this that a single character cannot choose more than 2 or 3 at will powers, or all characters of a class would have the same at will powers.)

or

2) There is really no need for more at will powers, as there is sufficient diversity already, at least if you create encounters appopriate for the party level.

I don't think the argument that more at will powers will make the number of choices overwhelming holds up very well, unless there is a magic number somewhere that must not be surpassed. Two more options shouldn't be that hard to handle.

I'm hoping for answer 2, but I've got a feeling there might be some truth to answer 1 as well.

Blackeagle

First Post
Or:

3) This is just the PHB and we'll see a much wider variety of at-will abilities when PHBII and the power source books come out (I can't wait for October!)

keterys

First Post
Only enough space for so many powers I suspect. I can say that I made 10 at-will options for a paladin in not very much time - I'll grant that about half were _really_ similar to other options, like I'm not sure I changed "Priest's Shield" at all when I put it down as Paladin's Shield, but there ya go.

I do think that we'll have plenty of other options as more books and DDI fill in the blanks. I'm also tempted to offer some other way to get an at-will or two, perhaps in some later campaign or deeper in the ones I'm doing.

For instance, I'd be quite tempted to offer an Epic Destiny At-Will.

2eBladeSinger

First Post
Considering that in previous editions non-spell-caster types had about one ‘at-will ability’ (i.e. attack) I don’t see how it could feel any more repetitive.

Remove ads