• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why rename HP & Saves?

Storm-Bringer

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Thank you.
You are welcome

Certainly I don't claim any such authority. My only claim (as I say on the site) is the page is about OD&D, as it is played when I run the game. :cool:
Again, allow me to apologize, I realize it sounds like I am saying you are claiming such authourity, when it is clear you are not. Your page is very obviously your method of using the rules; in that regard, citing it as some kind of final word on a particular mechanic is nonsensical.

Lacyon

First Post
mmadsen said:
Roll d20 plus accuracy bonuses vs. Defense to hit. If you hit, roll d20 plus damage bonuses vs. Toughness to disable/kill. This is as simple, or simpler, than tracking hit points.

Fate points can be used against the initial to-hit roll or against the subsequent damage roll. If a lumbering giant swings a tree-trunk at you, you'll probably want to use your fate points dodging his blows -- but if he rolls a natural 20, you may find it better to take the hit and use your fate points to turn it into a flesh wound.

If you're next to a cliff, and you get bull-rushed, you'll likely spend your fate points to stuff the rush. If you're next to a pit, you might accept the rush and spend your fate points to land unharmed -- but in the pit.

First off - this is a fine mechanic (assuming the rest of the system is well-defined and balanced, which I will for argument's sake).

The "problem" though is the same one as hit points (and not one that I actually consider a problem) - this models a "reality" where the difficulty of hitting someone becomes intrinsically smaller whenever you try to do it with a deadlier weapon. It's harder to hit with a Revolver than it is with a Crossbow* not based on the user's skill, but because the target will always be willing to spend fate points to avoid the Pistol's "hit" because negating the damage would be harder. Meanwhile Crossbows bolts will be landing glancing blows with much more frequency.

This, again, is a fine game mechanic, and one that should be pretty easy to achieve balance with. It's just still got the 'nonsense' factor that you attribute to the HP system, shifted to another area of the game (and presumably one that you, personally, feel more comfortable with). It's only a matter of taste to say that one is better than the other in terms of modeling 'reality'.

*Substitute any high damage weapon and a lower damage weapon.

Rex Blunder

First Post
I think that there is a difference of opinion on what some words mean.

Stormbringer, you have several times used the phrase "totally abstract". I think you and I are using different functional definitions of "abstract".

When I see "abstract" used to describe game rules, I usually think it means something like "for ease of play, several factors are lumped together into one mechanic". An abstract rule tries to model the outcome without fiddling around with simulating the causes.

For instance, the minute-long combat round of 1e is abstract. It doesn't try to model the effect of parries and footwork. It says, "During a minute, each opponent will get one (or more) good attacks in: we won't worry how."

Therefore, something can't be "totally" abstract. Either it tries to determine the effect of the factors, or it doesn't.

By this definition, hit points have been abstract since 1e (I make no claims about earlier editions). Gygax presents a laundry list of factors that can explain high hit points: physical health, luck, magical and divine protection, etc. He doesn't try to determine what percentage of each hit is absorbed by each of these.

I'm willing to believe every hit does some physical damage. The Gygax quote can be read to support that view. However, the amount of actual physical damage, according to Gygax, can be very small (a "graze").

You keep on talking about "totally abstract". Therefore, to you, abstract isn't binary, and 4e HP are somehow MORE abstract. Perhaps to you, "abstract" means "entirely nonphysical"? Then your argument makes more sense.

Also, "Disingenuous" means "lying", correct? I don't think there's any evidence of lying in this thread. Please don't make accusations of malice where misunderstanding can fit the bill.

Last edited:

Belgarath

First Post
an idea

Since no one has mentioned it, then i will. I have always kinda liked the Earthdawn system for dealing with damaged. You have 3 things based on your constitution : wound threshold, unconcious threshold and death threshold.

Any time you take damage, it is added to how much you have. Once you reach the unconcious threshold then you fall unconcious and death you die of course. The trick to it, is that if you take more damage in one blow than your wound threshold, then you recieve a wound. More than one wound will give you negatives to your skills.

There is a mechanic to adding to your unconcious and death thresholds, but your wound threshold will remain the same unless your constitution increases.

This is a great system since it does seperate your grazes and your really damaging blows. Eventually as you gain levels you toughen up so you can take more grazes, but your hefty damage pretty much remains the same.

Something like this can be developed for D&D, but it will take a bit of playtesting to work it out. Look into Earthdawn for possibilities on it

mmadsen

First Post
Lacyon said:
First off - this is a fine mechanic (assuming the rest of the system is well-defined and balanced, which I will for argument's sake).
Thank you, Lacyon. (And thank you, Rex Blunder, too.)
Lacyon said:
The "problem" though is the same one as hit points (and not one that I actually consider a problem) - this models a "reality" where the difficulty of hitting someone becomes intrinsically smaller whenever you try to do it with a deadlier weapon.
I think it's important to recognize that this fate-point system doesn't model a "reality" where the difficulty of hitting someone becomes intrinsically smaller whenever you try to do it with a deadlier weapon; it models a "reality" where the difficulty of hitting a hero becomes intrinsically smaller whenever you try to do it with a deadlier weapon.

Only heroes and villains have fate points. If fate is not on your side, you're simply a great warrior, with high defense and toughness scores. You're hard to hit and hard to hurt, but that first arrow just might hit you in the eye.

If you are a hero or villain, and you have fate points, then fate intercedes where it takes the least luck to keep you going -- because fate points have the most "bang per buck" where you have to shift a die roll the least to avoid getting finished. If you're facing a giant, it's far more plausible that you dodge his tree-trunk club than that you keep shrugging off hits. If you get rushed at the edge of a cliff, it's far more plausible that you side-stepped the charged or braced for it than fell and landed unhurt.
Lacyon said:
This, again, is a fine game mechanic, and one that should be pretty easy to achieve balance with. It's just still got the 'nonsense' factor that you attribute to the HP system, shifted to another area of the game (and presumably one that you, personally, feel more comfortable with). It's only a matter of taste to say that one is better than the other in terms of modeling 'reality'.
I think one of the key elements needs to be emphasized: fate points aren't toughness; they aren't linked to Constitution, they aren't used only when you're hit, and they aren't healed with bed-rest and healing magic. That's where the vast majority of the "nonsense" of hit points comes in -- "hits" that aren't hits, doing "damage" that isn't damage, which needs to be "healed" when there's no wound, etc.

Storm-Bringer

First Post
Rex Blunder said:
I think that there is a difference of opinion on what some words mean.

Stormbringer, you have several times used the phrase "totally abstract". I think you and I are using different functional definitions of "abstract".

When I see "abstract" used to describe game rules, I usually think it means something like "for ease of play, several factors are lumped together into one mechanic". An abstract rule tries to model the outcome without fiddling around with simulating the causes.

For instance, the minute-long combat round of 1e is abstract. It doesn't try to model the effect of parries and footwork. It says, "During a minute, each opponent will get one (or more) good attacks in: we won't worry how."

Therefore, something can't be "totally" abstract. Either it tries to determine the effect of the factors, or it doesn't.

By this definition, hit points have been abstract since 1e (I make no claims about earlier editions). Gygax presents a laundry list of factors that can explain high hit points: physical health, luck, magical and divine protection, etc. He doesn't try to determine what percentage of each hit is absorbed by each of these.

I'm willing to believe every hit does some physical damage. The Gygax quote can be read to support that view. However, the amount of actual physical damage, according to Gygax, can be very small (a "graze").

You keep on talking about "totally abstract". Therefore, to you, abstract isn't binary, and 4e HP are somehow MORE abstract. Perhaps to you, "abstract" means "entirely nonphysical"? Then your argument makes more sense.
In the strictest sense, yes. In the context of hit point discussions, there are seeming degrees of it. With 4e, the hit points have to be more or less totally divorced from physical damage - 'totally abstract' - in order for the Warlord yelling at someone have a 'healing' effect. In order to re-inforce that view, many arguments have been presented trying to demonstrate that hit points have always been 'totally abstract'. In other words, they were never representative of physical damage, to demonstrate the radical change isn't actually a change at all.

As you mention, how much is abstracted, and what the abstraction represents is rather open to interpretation. I am not totally averse to the non-physical components being there. I don't disagree that it is, to some degree, nonsensical to expect a fighter to endure fifteen sword thrusts before dropping. There are certain vagaries, of course, in that most people don't die from a single knife wound, but others will. The more physical trauma, the more likely eventual or instant death. But again, unless the rules provide some kind of incredibly detailed hit location system, a la Rolemaster, and the effects of those location hits, a generic pool of 'hit points' works just fine, but it would work better with two different tracks, like the Wound Point/Vitality point system in Star Wars. Then, the Leader can shout your minor scratches and bruises away, but three arrows to the chest is going to take a bit of recovery time. As Murphy's Laws of Combat state, "A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down." :)

Also, "Disingenuous" means "lying", correct? I don't think there's any evidence of lying in this thread. Please don't make accusations of malice where misunderstanding can fit the bill.
Not precisely lying, more like 'ignoring certain premises'. Again, when someone tries to make an argument that hit points have always been abstract, of course that is correct. On the surface. The underlying premise usually infers '...and not physical'. Which is the only way it can work in 4e with the design for healing. If this was the first time it had ever come up, I would grant that some parts may have been missed, namely, the parts where it says hit points also represent physical damage. After 30+ years of debate, however, I have a hard time believing that those parts have been missed. 'Glossed over', certainly. But honestly missed?

I am also absolutely behind people using hit points however they want. I'm not the Game Police Chief Inspector. If a particular group wants hit points to represent silver threads from the Ethereal Plane, I say 'go for it'. Now, if that same group wants to present an argument about how that is how hit points have always been, well, that is where I usually step in.

I'm not debating that hit points are abstractions. Clearly they are. I want to make sure people are informed about what that abstraction has meant, historically, and the various problems that arise with that view, as well as the 'non-physical' view. They both have their problems, but without having all the details, how would one make an informed decision about how they want to implement them?

Storm-Bringer

First Post
mmadsen said:
If you are a hero or villain, and you have fate points, then fate intercedes where it takes the least luck to keep you going -- because fate points have the most "bang per buck" where you have to shift a die roll the least to avoid getting finished. If you're facing a giant, it's far more plausible that you dodge his tree-trunk club than that you keep shrugging off hits. If you get rushed at the edge of a cliff, it's far more plausible that you side-stepped the charged or braced for it than fell and landed unhurt.
I think one of the key elements needs to be emphasized: fate points aren't toughness; they aren't linked to Constitution, they aren't used only when you're hit, and they aren't healed with bed-rest and healing magic. That's where the vast majority of the "nonsense" of hit points comes in -- "hits" that aren't hits, doing "damage" that isn't damage, which needs to be "healed" when there's no wound, etc.
Drama or fate points are an excellent co-mechanic with D&D hit points. I will definitely be using a similar mechanic. Drop me a line sometime, I would like to further discuss your views on this.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
FitzTheRuke said:
I've just read Morrus'(?) 4E review, and I'm struck with a thought:

Why rename Hit Points and Saving Throws?

My opinion?

No point in renaming hit points, they mechanically represent what they always have.

Saving Throws on the other hand NEED to be renamed, because it causes so much confusion for people. The 4e saving throw has no connection with the saving throw of earlier editions in any way.

Previous edition - save to avoid effect
4e - 'save' to end a duration

Previous edition - scales with level
4e - doesn't scale

Previous edition - nothing impacted duration of effects once you had failed a save
4e - 'save' is the only thing that impacts duration of effects.

AndrewRF

Explorer
mmadsen said:
Since hit points are really meant to be plot-protection points, they should (a) have a different name, like fate points, and (b) be useful for more than enduring "hits" from physical attacks.

I'm a bit surprised that the 4E designers didn't go this route, since they were clearly concerned about save-or-die spells. If you let fate points be used against to-hit rolls and to boost saving throws, everything just makes sense. (Actually hurting someone would probably be a Fort-like Damage Save, which fate points could of course boost.)

Can you provide an example or two of games that use this type of system?

AndrewRF said:
Can you provide an example or two of games that use this type of system?
Ablative hit points as "fate"? Or just "fate points"?
Torgs possibility points allow you to negate damage and other negative effects.
When you take damage, you can spent them to reduce the damage taken. (Divided into shock points, that can knock you unconcious if they exceed your constitution, K and Os that if put together knock you out regardless of constitution, and wounds, that present permanent injuries and can outright kill you).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads