• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why species based statistics?

Lackhand

First Post
Hi everyone. I took a brief look around, and didn't see anything that matched this topic, and it's been brewing around in my head for a little while, so:

Why are creature statistics determined by their type?
By this I mean to ask, why do all humanoids get a d8 hit die, 3/4 BAB, and so forth? Why do all outsiders, regardless of their warlike inclinations or low mobility have the same attack bonuses and reflex saves?

During the creation of the game, it made a lot of sense, I suppose-- in 2000, when we didn't have all this d20 material around. But after 5 years, I can say that to me, it presents a bunch of problems, or at least, bothersome aspects.

What creature type do you give to a dragon from the Abyss? It could either be outsider or dragon, and you'll probably introduce a special rule either way so that it counts as both-- but you have to make a decision for its size of hit die, BAB & save advancement, and skill points.

What about a flesh golem (in a campaign set appropriately); shouldn't it be both undead and construct? This one can go either way, I admit.

The simple example: The dryad could be both plant and fey, and I'd like it if it could be.

The vampire template changes a humanoid into an undead(augmented humanoid). This robs us of information, as the Humanoid type has 4 limbs, looks vaguely like a person, and so forth; undead (and outsiders) are much more general, which means that we have to work harder to describe the beastie.

What to do?
Well, nothing, now. The system works well enough that you can just say "treat this as type X in addition to its actual type Y"; this is more of a disguised "4th edition" thread, I suppose, than I meant it to be.

But in the future, what I would really like is for all of the current creature types to become descriptors, though there are two ways to go here:
we could use some sort of inheritance hierarchy, and give Lawful Evil daemons the [baatezu] descriptor, and assume that that includes the Evil Lawful Outsider aspects of their being,
or we could give them [Baatezu, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful, Outsider] descriptors.

Matter of taste, I suspect :)

Anyway: So how would things such as hit die size and skill point allocation get decided?
Well, ideally, parallel to the class system, though that presents another few interesting complications:

As it is now, creature type gives something with which to contrast class levels; they don't work the same.
Unlike the fighter class, they don't measure what you do, they measure what you are.
Unfortunately, players will always want to play as monsters, and the sorcerer muddles the issue anyway: is assigning hit dice a good measure of what you are?
I would argue that it isn't a very good method, both because it makes multiclassing as a monster very difficult to work out [non-level-based-HD! Eeek!] but can also be nonsensical, because it says that all animals fight approximately as well as a cleric;
even those that are herbivores versus those that are predators.
Finally, it makes polymorph difficult, since there's all this junk associated with hit dice, and all this junk associated with type; drawing a distinction between them (and building the distinction into the core books!) would be fantastic.

So, again, what would monsters use instead? I'd argue for a modified class system, with individual monsters being templates slapped on top of this system.
It means that playing as a monster is easier; you still need to stagger the monster template, thus levels without hit dice, but now it's being built explicitly for this purpose, which makes everything better somehow (automagically!)
Note that I'm cheating, since I can't think of a decent class system here, but I'll keep thinking about it, honest.

In the same breath, I'd ask for the monsters to be presented as, in general, with fewer hit dice.
Now that we're okay with monsters taking class levels & players taking monster levels, I think it is the time for, say, Hill giants to only have 5 or 6 or 8 hit dice-- exactly enough to balance out their incredible stats with wimpy NPC classes, however many you'd need--
and for the rest of their bonuses to come from embedded fighter or barbarian levels, since that's what they do/are, in my opinion.
To be clear: I'd like the gaint entry to present me with the Base Giant, with no class levels at all, just racial hit dice, and then the Giant Warrior, what the players are *expected* to fight, with a few levels of fighter.
This has the advantage that the wizard of the tribe, their shaman, isn't automatically tougher than the rest of the roving band, because the DM would just substitute wizard levels for fighter levels.
It's very hard to do this, otherwise, because you have to either regress the giant to a point where you can give it a few levels of wizard (the Base Giant), make the encounter very difficult, or explain why they have a captive spellcaster of another race.

Anyway. I think I ended this post in a different state than when I started it, and I'll come back later & edit for legibility (edit: Done, I hope!), but basically:
1) Some monsters are a little too powerful to add class levels to, and they're generally the "we bash stuff" monsters--
it would be nice if "bashers" had and explicit number of levels of fighter factored into them, and we were told how many that was, so we could replace those with different classes.
2) In general, monster type (Giant, Fey, Undead, Outsider) is too broad while at the same time too general.
I would prefer that all of the types be descriptors and a rough class system replace the current type system.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Last edited:

DragonTurtle

First Post
Wow, you sure put a lot of thought into this. I like the fact that the building blocks for the creatures are transparent, so that they can easily be modified.

Although I have always hated the humanoid levels. Why can't the Lizardman have 2 levels of Druid instead of humanoid... Maybe a suggested minimum level for each creature.

So a Lizardman would be minimum level 2, +LA.

Lackhand

First Post
Thought? Pshaw, I laugh in the face of thought!
Seriously, though, that's the general scheme of things. Lizardman, to pick an example, would be presented in a manner something like:

Lizardfolk (BASE)
* Monster HD: None
* +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
* [Reptilian] and [Humanoid] types.
* Medium size (5 foot space / 5 foot reach).
* A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
* Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
* +5 natural armor bonus.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
* Special Qualities (see above): Hold breath.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
* Alignment: Neutral.
* Favored Class: Druid.
* Level adjustment +1. //in other words, this entire template, when correctly formatted, is worth one level, so a fighter could skip one level and take this template. I think it might be worth 2 levels, though...

Then, it would present the lizardfolk as the MM does:
Lizardfolk Warrior
Size/Type: Medium (Humanoid, Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp) (Warrior2 [or something!])
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+5 natural), or 17 (+5 natural, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 15 or 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+1) or club +2 melee (1d6+1) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +2 melee (1d4+1) and bite +0 melee (1d4); or club +2 melee (1d6+1) and bite +0 melee (1d4); or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Hold breath
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +4, Jump +5, Swim +2
Feats: Multiattack
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: Gang (2-3), band (6-10 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or tribe (30-60 plus 2 lieutenants of 3rd-6th level and 1 leader of 4th-10th level)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: 50% coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class

Note I just copy/pasted the MM lizardfolk from http://d20srd.com, so it contains inconsisticies-- I only chanced the size/type line.

Lackhand

First Post
Ack! I took too long to post!
I actually saw yours earlier today-- I think we're moving in somewhat opposite directions, though of course it's a matter of how you look at it.
Firstly, consider a brief look at Green Ronin's Blue Rose [I'll put this in here, instead of in there, because... well, I'm new to /posting/, and this is my thread. I declare open season on diversions and divertations, not to mention tangents!], which has a system a bit like what you're looking for, but is sufficiently different that I don't think it completely solves what you're looking to do.

I quite like the class system for fighters, wizards, etc; the thing I don't like is the 'houseboat' dichotomy for abyssal dragons, and the difficulty in creating classed monsters that go against type with anything approaching efficiency-- I feel like I have to cheat to make a giant shaman, and the fighting-fey from MMIII [I forget its name!] felt forced, because it needed to use fey advancement to be a 'real' fey.

With that said, I wish you luck with your system.
I'll poke back in later and maybe return the favor. :)

Lackhand

First Post
Feeling a bit solipsistic, I keep posting in my own thread ;) Ah, well.
I think what would make me fully happy would be a cross between the Bloodline rules out of Unearthed Arcana and templates as they currently stand--
each monster would present templates in increments of whatever is easiest-- ideally, with a granularity of one-level or one-CR, but I admit that that might be impossible-- and a minimum level at which a player may purchase that template-slice.

Note that I'm okay with things like the entry for Azer not even including any Base Race (as the Lizardfolk "Lizardfolk as PCs" I stole earlier), but instead having it reference other monsters-- Dwarf & the FlamingFireyDeathDealer + several levels of fighter, say.

Does this sound too complex to people? More complex than, say, Savage Species + MM in one book? ;)
With a semi-solution for polymorph thrown in, just by specifying which critter templates you gain/lose, or at least fixing it by specifying which critter properties polymorph gives you?

silvermane

Explorer
What creature type do you give to a dragon from the Abyss?

Dragon [Chaotic, Evil], but only if it has age categories. If it advances normally by HD, then Outsider.

What about a flesh golem (in a campaign set appropriately); shouldn't it be both undead and construct?

Constructs already have all the immunities of undead, and there is nothing to suggest that the golem is powered by negative energy (rather than magic). You can, of course, animate an undead similar in look and behavior, but it would be animated, not crafted.

The simple example: The dryad could be both plant and fey, and I'd like it if it could be.

The dryad cannot be a plant, because it does not seem likely it would be immune to mind-influencing effects (that is, it still has a mind, a plant doesn't).

The vampire template changes a humanoid into an undead(augmented humanoid). This robs us of information, as the Humanoid type has 4 limbs, looks vaguely like a person, and so forth; undead (and outsiders) are much more general, which means that we have to work harder to describe the beastie.

That's what subtypes are for. And because a vampire template can only be added to a humanoid or monstr. humanoid I don't see what is lost.

Lackhand

First Post
For your first point-- but that's my very point. It's a false dichotomy.
I know that there *are* answers to all of my objections, but I'm not satisfied with them.

For one thing, it should be Dragon [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar], at which point, the outsider part becomes almost... immaterial. Why do I have to choose whether it's an outsider or a dragon? Can't it be both? And that's not just for the badly defined nature of "outsider"-- all of my examples are set up on the same 'hook'.

For the flesh golem-- To prove I'm not totally insane, look at the collosii in the Epic handbook. Their flesh golem had undeadlike traits, as I recall. I can see the flesh golem as a purely construct-like thing, but I can also see it as stitched together corpses animated by the foul powers of unlife. YMMV :)

Dryad is only immune to Mind-Influencing Effects because it doesn't have the plant type-- it's the spirit of the oak tree; had the 3rd ed designers wanted to slant it my way, they could just as easily declared it no easier to charm than the tree it's linked to.
They didn't, but then, I'm arguing about what they didn't do, anyway ;)

And, as for that's what subtypes are for: my thesis is, that's what *types* are for.

Thanks for the feedback, though-- perhaps I'm being unclear?
It is a very minor quibble that I'm talking about here, but then, that's what message boards are for-- quibbles like this! :D

Remove ads