Why the beer hate? (Forked Thread: What are the no-goes...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obryn

Hero
Forked from: What are the no-goes for you?
Now, it was far from everyone on the other thread, but I've seen more than a few object to any kind of alcohol at gaming whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong - I think complete drunkenness can disrupt any semi-serious game. (With a caveat that being drunk makes games like Kobolds Ate My Baby awesome.) I'm on board with that being a deal-breaker - in fact, I uninvited a guy who'd down a six pack in the first 20 minutes every session.

But a six pack of a delicious microbrew (like anything by Three Floyds) shared among the group? I don't get the objection, honestly.

Now, I can see "We're all underage" or "We game with a recovering alcoholic." But otherwise, could you explain?

-O

malraux

First Post
My gaming tradition is a blender full of margarita. Some people don't drink, but no one drinks to excess, so I don't see the issue. Like with anything, clearly it can be taken past the point of reasonableness, but a guy who chugs Mt Dew and goes all Great Cornholio is just as bad.

EricNoah

Adventurer
*shrugs* I'm uncomfortable around people who are drinking, in general. Even moreso when I'm at a game and wanting to play with sober people. Now, if someone's just having a beer and stretching it out over a few hours I would not see that as a big deal, I guess.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There are people who drink to lower their inhibitions. Of those, some really shouldn't.

I don't game with anyone like that, so drinking is fine in my group. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. Sometimes some of us do and others don't. It's not a big deal either way.

Cheers, -- N

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
My friends don't have a ban on alcohol and gaming, it just rarely happens. Honestly, it's never been practical for everyone to drink - even in my current game, with my wife and I living where the game happens and another player living about ten minutes' walk away, we still have plenty of people who need to be able to drive home, or who just don't drink much or at all, or who just don't feel the personal need to mix drinking and gaming.

It's like everyone chipping in to get a meal on game night - some groups do it, some don't. We've historically tended to order pizzas when everyone shows up, or whatever, but I've played in other games where the understanding was you'd eat dinner at home before you come, and/or that you can bring something to heat up in the microwave at the host's place.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I game with my friends, and we enjoy our intoxicants of choice whenever we get together---D&D day is just another social occasion.

And honestly, some of them are *much* more fun at the table if they've had a few beers (or puffs or whatever) than otherwise.

Bumbles

First Post
It's not hate, any more than say, not wanting people to play with dangerous fireworks is hate.

I consider it prudence.

There may be people who can handle a drink or two. Others cannot. Others can't stop, and resent being told that they've had enough, or that they're causing problems. And honestly, there are people who think they're more fun when they've had a drink, but I have never felt that to be the case. They may think they're having more fun, but it's not necessarily the same for others. And then they don't really care. So what can you do?

I haven't found much of anything. And since I don't want to deal with that complication any more, I decline to deal with it at all. I don't want the bother. I prefer to avoid the problem by not being around folks who are drinking.

If you want to drink, go ahead, with your friends who like that activity. Just leave me out of it.

And please don't think I'm a jerk about it. When people converse about their alcohol consumption, whether it be a binge or a wine-tasting, I remain as silent as I would if they were conversing about professional golf.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
In my actual experience in games where alcohol was expressly banned, which admittedly is limited to two groups in 20 years, it's been a strange "push-back" against perceived "cool-factor." The consumption of alcohol -- especially stuff like micro-brew -- is perceived to have a negative correlation with geeky activities like gaming, so in an effort to fully embrace the geek, alcohol is banned.

One guy was so blatant about this behavior -- not just related to alcohol -- that we'd yank his chain about it on a regular basis.

"How many sessions do you think it will be before we've got Dave convinced that 'Buffy' is too mainstream for him?"

To be clear, I'm not speculating -- at all -- on the motivations of people who've posted about this here. I'm just sharing my actual, real-world experiences.

Rechan

Adventurer
It's an issue of degree. Opening a beer like one would a coke, that's one thing.

Becoming inedbriated at the table? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads