• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the hate, people?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I don't have any hatred for other systems. There are many systems that I avoid like the plague, and only one that I am vocal as to why I dislike it (Palladium/Rifts, I'm looking at you). I found a system that does everything that I need it to do in D20. No matter what I want to play, there is a D20 system for it. That's excellent. No longer do me or my players have to learn multiple systems if we're wanting to play fantasy, horror, supers, or modern-style games.

The one thing that is starting to become more annoying to me are the topics that sprout up upon ocassion talking about the doom of 3.0/3.5, how 3.5 is too tough to run and how 4E should be rules lite, or how horrible 3.5 is. I've taken the bait many times in the past and argued my points, but I realize that it's so much easier to move on to a topic that I don't have to fight about.

Kane

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
People learn early on that they're going to be judged on the basis of how many of their opinions are correct. That's largely what school teaches us -- if we're right more often than someone else, we are better than them.

People tend to freak out when somebody disagrees with them. They're worrying that they're WRONG, and to forestall the terrible possibility that they might be wrong, they immediately set about trying to demonstrate how wrong the other person is, so that they can feel good about themselves for being right.

It's, as someone already pointed out, all about ego. Or rather, the inability to separate one's ego from one's ideas. So many people find that separation very difficult to achieve (largely because our education system teaches us that that separation doesn't EXIST), and it's truly debilitating. It inhibits intellectual growth and traps people in a terrible spiral of waste and suffering.

Which is great, because then I get to dissect their posts point-by-point and demonstrate what fools they are in an amusing fashion.

I mean, which is terrible. Very bad.

I certainly don't think it's restricted to gamers. I've seen this behaviour well-established among software developers, marketing professionals, journalists, housewives, waiters and loggers.

Breakdaddy

First Post
barsoomcore said:
People tend to freak out when somebody disagrees with them. They're worrying that they're WRONG, and to forestall the terrible possibility that they might be wrong, they immediately set about trying to demonstrate how wrong the other person is, so that they can feel good about themselves for being right.

Wow, you have NEVER BEEN SO WRONG!!! So so wrong.... :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads