• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the hell is Snoop inserting himself into Doors song?

warlord

First Post
I'm sorry if this is old but I just discovered a version of "Riders on the Storm" with Snoop Dogg rapping on it. It also included a warped insturmentation that was more hip-hop. I know sampling is a time honor tradition. But should we really have bad rappers inserting themselves into dead legends songs? Where does Snoop get off thinking he is even half as cool as Jim Morrison. Not only was Jim the proto-type for almost every male rockstar ever he was the bloody :):):):)ing Lizard King! Since when did Snoop roll with the Lizard King?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't heard that track in particular, but I just say:

1) I probably wouldn't call Snoop a bad rapper- within most circles, he's considered to be one of the elite. That said, even the best performer can toss out a clunker. I'm sure JM will have some words with Snoop in the afterlife.

2) Many rappers have been doing just this for about a decade...after all, remember what Puffy did with the Police hit, "Every Breath You Take" when he turned it into a (bad) rap-eulogy for his fallen buddy Biggie? He even had Sting reprise his vocals on it during a live performance. It all really started with Run DMC's partnership with Aerosmith on a remix of "Walk this Way," soon followed by Anthrax & Public Enemy redoing PE's song, "Bring tha Noize" and the landmark "Judgement Night" soundtrack.

That said, it doesn't make them any better. IMHO, I've heard only a few rap/rock remixes that I find even tolerable. Most rap/rock fusions are best when they're entirely original.

3) Snoop probably didn't mean it as anything but a tribute. He's gone on record as being a big fan of a LOT of music you wouldn't normally associate with a giant in the gangsta rap genre- he was recently on Larry King Live commenting on his love of Johnny Cash, for instance.

Remove ads