• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the Sneak Attack update

Brys

First Post
Anyone care to speculate on the reasoning behind the once-per-round change to once-per-turn for sneak attack? I find it odd that the rogue was updated in this way but not other strikers (though I guess sorcerers already had it built in). I wasn't under the impression that rogues were behind the damage curve compared to other strikers. So why was sneak attack changed to once-per-turn but not curse/flurry/quarry?

CovertOps

First Post
IMO the damage gain is minimal. You need to be in a position to attack a creature, have CA, and either get an OA or have another PC grant you a(n) (basic) attack. Maybe 1 attack per combat that gains sneak dice? The more important factor (going with all the "flavor" changes for essentials) is that Rogues are no longer limited to sneak damage 1/round. The 1/turn making it more like 3e in that regard. As for other strikers....there was no Hunter's Quarry or Warlock Curse in 3e so they don't have to change those to work more like a previous incarnation. It's a grab for lapsed 3.x players who haven't switched and I say this as a 4e supporter.

Zaran

Adventurer
Anyone care to speculate on the reasoning behind the once-per-round change to once-per-turn for sneak attack? I find it odd that the rogue was updated in this way but not other strikers (though I guess sorcerers already had it built in). I wasn't under the impression that rogues were behind the damage curve compared to other strikers. So why was sneak attack changed to once-per-turn but not curse/flurry/quarry?

Only the rogue was updated because the ranger and sorcerer aren't in Essentials yet. I am guessing it's because the Slayer gets their bonus damage all the time. I expect Hunter's Quarry to get a simular boost.

I would have made a snarky comment about how WotC thinks the ePlayers are too dumb to understand why they only get it once a round. But I would be wrong since they still don't get it when they get more than one attack during their own turn (like with an action point).

mneme

Explorer
I think the idea is to encourage teamwork -- and to have to keep track of fewer things from round to round.

The fewer things that involve keeping track of state, the better.

jbear

First Post
Only the rogue was updated because the ranger and sorcerer aren't in Essentials yet. I am guessing it's because the Slayer gets their bonus damage all the time. I expect Hunter's Quarry to get a simular boost.

I would have made a snarky comment about how WotC thinks the ePlayers are too dumb to understand why they only get it once a round. But I would be wrong since they still don't get it when they get more than one attack during their own turn (like with an action point).
I think when you say you were going to say a snarky comment, and then say what you aren't going to say, it counts as a snarky comment anyway.

People wanted faster combats? Well, if all strikers get to apply striker damage 1/turn then that will speed things up a little perhaps.

The barbarian gets left out in the cold on this one too, but then again they get all that charging vanguard/helmed weapon combo (although the new take on magic items should settle that down a bit).

It would be interesting to hear an official version as to the why of this particular change.

Zaran

Adventurer
Sneak Attack is like Oppurtunity Attacks now. You get one per every single creatures turn in a single round instead of just on your rogue's turn. So if the fighter and rogue stood on either side of a door and 12 guys ran through the rogue would get 12 sneak attacks during that round on every single turn.

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post
How is it any different to have once per turn vs. once per round? Same thing right?

Hunter's quarry is already once per round.

Each character gets one turn within an entire combat round.

So, if there are three PCs and two NPCs in a combat, there will be 5 Turns each Round.

Previously, a Rogue could only Sneak Attack once each round. Now, it is once each turn - so they can use Sneak Attack both on their own turn, as well on an Opportunity Attack taken on an enemy's turn, as well as with a free attack granted by their Warlord friend on his turn. As long as they meet all the usual conditions, etc.

Festivus

First Post
I really think it was done to have one less thing to keep track of, simplify the game seems like one of the design goals for the essentials line, so it fits.

jbear

First Post
How is it any different to have once per turn vs. once per round? Same thing right?

Hunter's quarry is already once per round.
Not the same thing at all really.

There are numerous ways to make enemies provoke opportunity attacks. If you do it when the rogue has combat advantage his opportunity attacks are something to be really feared now. Before a rogue with a dagger (the most common type) would have dealt 1d4+STR. now, they add 2d6 at level 1, 3d6 at level 6 etc. That's difference enough to not make it the same thing, because he can do that on each turn. Your turn, my turn, and all my friend's turns and all their enemies' turns as well. Quite a lot more than 1/round.

Remove ads