• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why WOTC shouldn't have gotten rid of the Dungeon and Dragon magazine

Do you want Dungeon and Dragon magazines to return to print?

• I agree!!! Give me my D&D buffet each month! Bring back Dungeon and Dragon!!!

Votes: 203 70.2%
  • I don't agree!!! I like the DI and the weekly release of content!

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • I am waiting to see what the paid online magazines are like.

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • I don't really care about either. I just want my PHB, DMG and MM, leave me alone :P

Votes: 39 13.5%

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Hobo said:
WotC hired the same freelance authors and artists to write about the same kinds of topics so far.

Face it; it's just the format you don't like. The content is practically identical.

Not necessarily : you can have the same authors working under another editorial line, or no line, and get a wildly different result.

What I fail to understand, is why "print on demand" was not considered. it would have helped.

Anyhow : Death to the DI ! Never a cent for the ugly green brain.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dragonhelm said:
Though I will mourn the loss of Dragon and Dungeon, I do think that there is a silver lining to all of this, which is Pathfinder. Truly, Pathfinder is some of the most imaginative gaming materials out there.
Considering that I'm more of a Dragon (print) reader and less of a Dungeon reader, what's in it for me? :\

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Considering that I'm more of a Dragon (print) reader and less of a Dungeon reader, what's in it for me? :\

In theory, the second half of each Pathfinder's for you. That's where we've been printing city and country gazetteers for our new campaign setting, Core Beliefes-style writeups of our deities (complete with spells and items and prestige classes when needed), ecology-style articles (coming in #4: dragons and stone giants), some in-game fiction in the form of the Pathfinder's Journal, new spells and magic, expansion rules (such as adventuring in high altitudes or running castles), and a batch of new monsters (usually six, but sometimes more). All of the crunch here is open, and while it's mostly tied in some way to that volume's adventure, those ties are often pretty tenuous. You can certainly use all of this stuff outside of the adventure path in other settings or campaigns with relative ease.

And if that still doesn't do it... Kobold Quarterly is pretty damn excellent! :)

VictorC

Explorer
No really it was super paying to have Grayhawk shoved down my throught on a monthly basis. I can think of few things I enjoy more.

Maldin

First Post
I've gotta second all the comments made by many others here... I think it was a mistake to pull the magazines into an online house organ. Nothing beats hardcopy, especially when it comes to enjoying the artwork. As well, the Paizo mags served an absolutely irreplacable niche in the ecology of the gaming world... advertising, exposure for non-WotC product and the companies that publish them, an important presence on newstands that can reach new players, support of new writers (seems WotC always goes with people they've been dealing with for a while already), and support of campaign worlds that WotC refuses to support in favor of pushing the newest product-de-jour.

I've got nothing against online content, in fact I've always thought that WotC should have had more online content. I think BOTH the hardcopy mags and WotC's DI could have been done at the same time. THAT would have been cool.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Vigilance

Explorer
Reynard said:
In periodicals, editorial counts for a lot more than writers.

Yes, and Wizards has Chris Thomasson, former Dragon Editor in Chief and Paizo employee as editor.

Chris Thomasson was an Associate Editor for Dragon from 2000-2002.

He was a Contributing Editor for Dragon from 2002-2003.

And he was Editor in Chief of Dragon from late 2003 to early 2004 (4 issues).

In fact, Mr. Thomasson was an editor on the Shacked City Adventure Path. That's pretty Paizo-y.

On the Dungeon side, he has editorial credits from 1999-2003.

I know, I know, he's not the RIGHT Paizo editor and nothing else will do. :\

I liked the magazines, I am a former subscriber to the magazines going back to the 80's.

This worship of one editorial team doesn't hold much water with me, sorry.

The height of magazine-dom was not reached with one editorial team.

And if it WAS, it was probably Roger Moore in the 80's anyway.

Sorry to rain on your "who are these outsiders" parade.

Chuck

The Hound

Explorer
I voted "Bring back Dungeon and Dragon" but sadly I know its never going to be...

When somebody invents a flexible e-book that wieghs as much as a paper magazine so that I can read it in bed, lazing on the couch, or on the throne then maybe I'll subscribe to their online versions.

Scylla

First Post
The online versions needed to be a home run ... and they didn't even make it to first base for me. :\ As expected, the content posting has been haphazard, printing out articles a pain, and I find myself not even wanting to check if there's something new there. I'd prefer the certainty of a bound print magazine, every month, given the attention it deserves, that I can read in bed and at work.

Bring back our magazines please. 'Nuff said.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
My glee has not been maxed, to say the least.

Odd as it may sound, one of the things I miss about the print magazines is the advertising - I found stuff that I would otherwise never have heard of.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads