• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wide Open Spaces

Jeremy757

First Post
When I originally heard about the idea of lightning rails in Eberron my reaction was "that’s just stupid"

Now upon realizing the full size and scope of the campaign area and just how large it is I totally see how some sort of mass transit was necessary.

Khorvaire is a huge place. Its at least as big if not bigger then North America. Unlike North America its closer position to the equator makes most of the land on the continent habitable.

But with the low population numbers there must be great swaths of land right in the middle of the four major kingdoms that are just totally uninhabited. Hundreds of square miles of unoccupied wilderness.

If your traveling great distance overland without the aid of lightning rail your ranger better have a good Survival skill because I bet in some places you could travel for a weeks (especially if they are walking or have heavy war horses) without running into any signs of civilization. That’s so cool and not typical of other campaign from my experience.

I could see players running into an isolated village in the Towering Woods that is primitive and knows nothing of the world outside a few dozen miles of the giant forest around it. You could even have a kind of "Dr. Livingston" kind of campaign based around that concept. The players are hired to find a cleric who has disappeared on a research mission into the Towering Woods.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Jeremy757 said:
I could see players running into an isolated village in the Towering Woods that is primitive and knows nothing of the world outside a few dozen miles of the giant forest around it. You could even have a kind of "Dr. Livingston" kind of campaign based around that concept. The players are hired to find a cleric who has disappeared on a research mission into the Towering Woods.

How about an M. Night Shyamalan "The Village" kind of session - the village you wander into in the day lives with a night terror that invades their village at night, and as long as they put certain marks on the doors, they aren't bothered - until the PC's show up, and breaks the taboo that there must be no visitors, or the population must be a certain size, or something similiar. Now the PC's, as the taboo breakers, must set things right, or kill the monsters dominating the fates of these backwards villagers.

Jeremy757

First Post
Henry said:
How about an M. Night Shyamalan "The Village" kind of session - the village you wander into in the day lives with a night terror that invades their village at night, and as long as they put certain marks on the doors, they aren't bothered - until the PC's show up, and breaks the taboo that there must be no visitors, or the population must be a certain size, or something similiar. Now the PC's, as the taboo breakers, must set things right, or kill the monsters dominating the fates of these backwards villagers.

Oh yeah that would work great. Really any story that creates a sense of isolation or alienation could work real well in Eberron and it would be a total contrast to adventures in a place like Sharn.

You could run the first three to five levels of a campaign in an urban area like Sharn and let the players get used to all the creature comforts of adventuring in a place like that. Then suddenly give them a reason they have to go into western Breland, the Droaam, and the Shadow Marches, where they will travel for many days without seeing a town or another soul.
If you have a ranger in your party you’ll want to do this before the party's cleric reaches 5th level, that way he has a chance to shine for a while.

"So did you bring enough rations, no looks like its coneys and lizards then."

Jeremy757

First Post
Snoweel said:
Oh Yeah Well My Setings Got Manuel Of Teh Plane's Its The Biggest Settig Evar !!!!

Although planewalking can be cool from time to time, I prefer to stay in the realm of the finite.

Galethorn

First Post
Manuel of the Planes is really a great guy. Sure, the funny accent puts one off a bit, but you just can't beat his Celestial cha-cha. Not even the Tarterian tango beats it.

But anyway, wide open spaces make for interesting adventures. Like finding a moustached, planes-hopping dancer who originates from Havana, Cuba.

Remove ads