• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wielding 2 Rapiers, Longswords, etc

trentonjoe

Explorer
I would limit the off weapon to the 5lb rule.

Rapiers or mithral longsword are neat and imagineable.

Dwarven War axes and bastard swords are just waiting to be exploited.

As per the dwarf example is d10+8/d10+4/d10+4 all that much different than d10+8/d6+4/d10 +8?

You're talking about 2 points a round.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
I agree that the bastard sword idea is a bit out there. This is more trying to figure out how to use 2 light weapons e.g. the rapier, elven thinblade, something like that something that weighs 5-7 lbs to begin with at the same time. Thats not even taking into account having a mithiril or some other special metal weapon where it would weigh like 2-4 lbs (forgive my figures I'm at work and don't have the books in front of me). So I seem to have missed a description of light weapons on page 97 correct? Because the one I found said "one size catagory smaller than you can wield in one hand". Could someone who has the books clarify this for me?
Also I like the off hand supieror feat thing.

Paragon

SpikeyFreak

First Post
trentonjoe said:
I would limit the off weapon to the 5lb rule.

Seems like a bad idea to me.

For one thing, you are introducing a new game mechanic.

For another, a character with a 30str being limited to the same weight as a character with an 8 Str is kinda rediculous.

And lastly, there might to be times when a) you don't know what the weight is and B) you get surprised and someone finds a way to make a bastard sword weigh 5 lbs.

A better way to handle it would be to say that any weapon that requires an exotic weapon feat to use in one hand is prohibited.

At least IMHO

--Confrontational Spikey

trentonjoe

Explorer

And lastly, there might to be times when a) you don't know what the weight is and B) you get surprised and someone finds a way to make a bastard sword weigh 5 lbs.

A better way to handle it would be to say that any weapon that requires an exotic weapon feat to use in one hand is prohibited.

At least IMHO

--Confrontational Spikey [/B]

Again it doesn't really make a difference what the weapon is.

"As per the dwarf example is d10+8/d10+4/d10+4 all that much different than d10+8/d6+4/d10 +8?"

The damage bonus is what does most of the damage.

But a fair amount of common sense must be used. Two dwarven war axes is different than two rapiers.

If a "game rule" must be added I like the exotic weapon corallary.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So I seem to have missed a description of light weapons on page 97 correct? Because the one I found said "one size catagory smaller than you can wield in one hand".

The formal definition of a Light weapon is "a weapon of a size category smaller than that of the wielder".

So for a Medium human, a Small or Tiny weapon is Light, a Medium or Large weapon is not. For a Small halfling, a Tiny weapon is Light, a Small weapon is not. For a Large ogre, a Medium, Small, or Tiny weapon is light.

When the PHB was written - before Monkey Grip existed - your definition was identical in spirit to that definition, and so the two didn't contradict each other.

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
trentonjoe said:
Again it doesn't really make a difference what the weapon is.

"As per the dwarf example is d10+8/d10+4/d10+4 all that much different than d10+8/d6+4/d10 +8?"

Ah, but it does. If you use (for example) a bastard sword and shortsword, you can't share focus, specialization, IC, and even MotW's PC. With two bastard swords, you can...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rather than coming up with complicated mechanics based on weight etc to allow non-light weapons to be used with the lesser 2WF penalty...

... if you must use a house rule to make it possible, why not incorporate the concept that already refers to the inherent "agility" of a weapon?

Weapon Finesse.

If you change "a light weapon in the off-hand" to "a Finessable one-handed weapon in the off-hand", then it covers your rapier. I don't know much about the Elven Thinblade, but I would assume it would be Finessable as well.

If you feel a mithral longsword is light and nimble enough to count as a light weapon, it should be able to be used with Weapon Finesse. If you have this rule in place, then any time you feel a weapon should count as light for 2WF, just add it to the Weapon Finesse list, and - by the House Rule - it will automatically incur the lesser 2WF penalty.

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
For everyone who thinks it'll be abused: Would you abuse it? Would your group abuse this rule? I've seen a lot about state that such and such would get abused. But who are all these people that constantly abuse the rules? I've never met one.

There is potential to abuse many rules in any system. But abusing the rules just isn't fun for us. Therefore, I never have any problem introducing a rule that might be excessive if certain criteria are met. I know the Pcs in my group aren't going to look for those criteria to break or abuse the rule.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
smetzger you logic is unwelcome here.
get thee behind me satan!!!!!! ;);):)

Because this was a mix of house rule/interpretation I figured this would be the place for it. so there!! ;)

Paragon

Remove ads