• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wielding a Spiked Chain - for the first time.

JimAde

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Okay, kids, let's all put our friendly hats on.

-Hyp.
(Moderator)
You have a friendly hat? Mine are all surly and do mean things to my hair.

Stupid hats.

Oh, and yes, spiked chains rock for the right circumstances. Just don't expect to be delivering the huge damage and be prepared for some frustrating encounters with big non-humanoid opponents.

Storm Raven

First Post
Asmo said:
Is Combat Reflexes an option with Dex 12?)

Sure. It (as has been said already) allow you to make AoOs while flat-footed, and gives you an extra AoO per turn. There is also the strong possibility that your Dexterity may not always be 12, gloves of dexterity for example, are usually within the reach of most characters by mid-level, which will probably increase your Dexterity by +2 or +4 before you reach 10th level.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
StormCrow42 said:
Yes, and you're post is the first time anyone has mentioned 3.0 in this thread. So I assumed that we were discussing 3.5.

I was pointing out what the point of confusion might have been on Nac_Mac_Feegle's part. Without attacking him or being rude, I might add.

I'm sorry if it seems hard to you,
This is also unnecessarily rude.

but it only takes a few seconds to pick up your PHB or check out one of the several online SRDs to read a feat before posting about something when you're having a rules discussion, especially one about a single feat. "I think I kinda remember" really isn't a valid stance to start a post from.

None this actually justifies your comments.

Because I was rebutting the posters comment about whirlwind attack not allowing reach to work. This had nothing to do with the feat actually working in the OP's build (which I can see it doesn't) and everything to do with correcting an incorrect statement that wouldn't have been made if the poster took half a minute to look up the feat before complaining that it didn't work the way someone else said it did.

None of which excuses your blatant rudeness to Nac_Mac_Feegle.

Correcting someones mistake or rebutting their arguement does not require you to be condescending.

rgutzmer

First Post
Asmo said:
I just want to check if I got the rules right:
(I´ve Exotic Weapon Profiency - Spiked Chain, Improved Trip and Combat Expertise. Is Combat Reflexes an option with Dex 12?)

Combat Reflexes is always a good feat, if you have a spare feat.

However, you can't have Combat Expertise, as it has a prerequisite of Dex 13+
Which means you can't have Improved Trip

Findlefarb

First Post
rgutzmer said:
Combat Reflexes is always a good feat, if you have a spare feat.

However, you can't have Combat Expertise, as it has a prerequisite of Dex 13+
Which means you can't have Improved Trip
Sure you can! Combat Expertise requires an Int 13+. It's Dodge that requires the Dex.

Cabral

First Post
Here's something that just occured to me while making a psionic warrior for a PC (because it's in the EPH; it does not require any psionic abilities):

Spiked Chain + Combat Reflexes + Stand Still [Genera]
using the stand still feat you can nearly prevent opponents from approaching you by giving up AoO damage ... :]

likuidice

First Post
silly, slightly off on a tangent question, whirlwind attack allows a melee attack against all opponents within reach. is this just a regular (roll to hit, roll some damage) attack, or can you use the other attack options, such as disarm, trip, etc?

Jack Simth

First Post
Hmm... it does say "as a melee attack" under many of the special attacks, and Whirlwind Attack does specify that it grants you a "melee attack" against each opponent within range.....

And it's a cool image, that the horde charging the Mighty Warrior finds itself.... unarmed. Or Tripped. Or whatever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads