• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wil Wheaton plays and reviews 4th.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I am actually considering picking up one of his books now, just to figure out what he's talking about. Of course, the fact that he was Wesley Crusher is one of the reasons why I am considering it now, too. (I didn't mind Wesley! Why was I the only one? :) )
He's a good writer. I would recommend his books.

Wil Wheaton said:
Also, the monsters are calling from inside the castle!
Great article. Thanks, nobody, for the snarky original post and link! :-S

Obryn

Hero
And having read the article now, he did a good job. I still have issue with some of his implications about '4e haters', but whatever. (I also find it amusing that he thinks '4d6 drop the lowest' is old school. ;))
Unless you're Diaglo, I think the 1e DMG counts as oldschool. :)

-O

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
But you've proven my point. Dark Knight is not your traditional batman film, as it's marketed as a crime thriller and was toted as a movie that is a "realistic" comic book. Batman has not been nerd forsome time. Cloverfield, not nerd, Watchmen a classic graphic novel (again marketed to seperate itself as a standout) and as star trek has gotten the makeover I told you about to denerdify it. Hot characters, popular director (who makes hip scifi), and a revamp of updated tech.

That's also not to say that putting a lot of money behind something and throwing out of the nerd realm and into pop culture doesn't help. (LOTR)

REst assured, nerd is still not bankable. Take scifi shows on regular and cable tv. A show, like alost or heroes, has to make steps to denerd it, and put it in normal worlds so that its not so nerdy. The minute it takes a nerdy turn, the ratings start to tumble

We're obviously going to disagree on this as we're coming at it from opposite directions.

I say that nerd is becoming bankable because it's hit the mainstream, and from what I can see you're holding the opinion that if it's become mainstream (or sucessful) then it's because it wasn't really nerdy. *shrug*

I maintain that 'nerd' is a label that's becoming less relevant. Being smart is becoming more important in society, and the people doing the creative work are more increasingly 'nerdy' (although I prefer "geek" as a term, personally) in film, certainly. As such, I suppose we're both right!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
They have zero to do with game design and really have no more authority on the subject than I or any number of geeks I can talk to at my FLGS. Hell, I could list a lot of ENWorld posters that I'd rather meet and discuss RPGs with than these guys.

However, Wil's blog does something a lot more important than discuss the minutia of game design: he presents a positive image of D&D to more people than any ten sites that argue about why changing the green dragon's picture is tantamount to a federal offense.

silentounce

First Post
Hm, We didn't play that way until well into 2e, early/mid 90's. Actually that wasn't even my old group. It was a bunch of my shipmates when I was in the Navy.

Well, it was listed as a method in the 1e DMG. It may have been Method I, but I'm not sure. Most players don't realize this because, well, they're players, and the die rolling methods were listed in the DMG at that time if I recall.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Well, it was listed as a method in the 1e DMG. It may have been Method I, but I'm not sure. Most players don't realize this because, well, they're players, and the die rolling methods were listed in the DMG at that time if I recall.
I read the DMG backwards and forwards actually, and at the time could have recited to you all the ways to roll stats and then tell you why we didn't use them. It's just not an option we used so with the passage of time I (incorrectly, I get it. ;)) associate it with later versions of the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads