• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Wild shape on the core druid should be...

Wild shape on the core druid should be...

• Utility only (scouting, movement). Not every druid wants to fight as a wolf.

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Combat capable. All druids can should have some melee capabilities.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • Not there at all. Wild shape should only be in subclasses.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 11.6%

Horwath

Legend
At-will,
Mostly utility(tiny size, swim, climb, burrow, fly movement)
Some combat potential(no spell casting in wild form, but might "burn" spell slots to increase damage with natural weapons like paladin's smite)
Moon druid gets more damage/armor/damage reduction/attacks.

Incenjucar

Legend
A good spot for generic druid would be that shillelagh always beats wild shape for pure damage in a vanilla scenario where you already have combat advantage, but wild shape's secondary features make up for the damage gap in situations where those features apply. If all you want to do is splatter something, magic stick is best, but if you want to be able to splatter something in a tree, you need to use something with a climbing speed, and if you want to keep them still, better use a form with a constriction attack.

Vael

Legend
Let's define combat capable and utility.

For me, combat capable means I shouldn't be out-shining a core melee class, but I shouldn't feel like I was a fool to even try it. I'll need either the defenses (AC) or HP to hold off a serious hit or two and enough damage to make it worth the (probable) loss of an action to change forms.

Utility means big animals for strength checks and ... party mobility. Small creatures for stealth and scouting. Alternate movement modes like climbing, burrowing, flight and swimming. Animal senses.

MarkB

Legend

For me, combat capable means I shouldn't be out-shining a core melee class, but I shouldn't feel like I was a fool to even try it. I'll need either the defenses (AC) or HP to hold off a serious hit or two and enough damage to make it worth the (probable) loss of an action to change forms.
It also needs to feel more effective than remaining in humanoid form and using cantrips or weapon attacks. It has to deliver something that a druid can't deliver while in their normal form.

Chaosmancer

Legend
How about...
  • A bunch of templates (tiny infiltrator, shaggy tank, ferocious glass cannon, etc.). You pick ONE of these to start with.
  • There are also a bunch of features that get added to forms (Flight, Climb, Aquatic, Burrow, Large Size...*) but only one feature at a time.
  • At a bunch of specific levels you get to pick either a new template, or a feature.
  • Maybe at some higher level you get to add two features to a form.

*Maybe some or all of those features belong in templates. I dunno. Just made them up quickly.

The problem with that is

1) High Complexity

2) Clear winners.

Mixing and matching templates with features and then spending all your level ups on adding new templates and features is going to be a very complex set of moving parts, on top of spellcasting. Secondly, you need the person who takes All templates and no features to be just as powerful and the person who takes all features and one template, and just as powerful as the person who finds the very powerful combo.

And that isn't going to happen, see every discussion of Battle Master and Warlock.

Chaosmancer

Legend

Utility means big animals for strength checks and ... party mobility. Small creatures for stealth and scouting. Alternate movement modes like climbing, burrowing, flight and swimming. Animal senses.

I can agree with those definitions in the broad strokes, details get fuzzy.

Clint_L

Legend
The problem with that is

1) High Complexity

2) Clear winners.

Mixing and matching templates with features and then spending all your level ups on adding new templates and features is going to be a very complex set of moving parts, on top of spellcasting. Secondly, you need the person who takes All templates and no features to be just as powerful and the person who takes all features and one template, and just as powerful as the person who finds the very powerful combo.

And that isn't going to happen, see every discussion of Battle Master and Warlock.
So this is an issue I have with templates - we talk about the problem with wildshaping into animals from the MM creating clear winners and losers, but templates will likely do the same thing if past experience is anything to go by.

I'm leaning more towards just keeping wild shape as is, but toning down the CR for low level moon druids.

Also...I like the elemental forms, but those feel like they belong in a different sub-class, don't they? More of a shamanistic druid, perhaps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads