• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wild Shape/Shapechange as Feat

ro

First Post
I want to create a racial feat for a homebrew race I am working on.

Using Dragonborn as an example:

The feat is roughly the same as Wild Shape, except that it is limited to one single creature type; for example, a Dragonborn would only transform into a dragon.

The CR of the transformed creature (dragon) would be based on character level. At earlier levels, you would become a CR (your level minus 2) creature, until level 17 when you would become a straight CR 17 creature. There would be a stat block provided with simple directions on how to adjust it by level.

Part of the intent to to make it roughly equal to Shapechange at level 17. Looking at the Musicus and Detect Balance scales, a Level X spell once/day gained at Level 2X-1, matching ordinary spell progression, is worth 3 points. In contrast, a +1 ASI is 4 points, and a full-feat +2 ASI is 8 points. This ability would be gained sooner than level 17, but it would be nerfed to be level appropriate.

Is this balanced?

Is it too much to give a character a Wild Shape/Shapechange-like feature through a racial feat?

If Shapechange at level 17 once/day is 3 points, how many points is this feat worth?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
First of all, Wild Shape only lets druids turn into beasts; the only magic-type effect I can think for a beast is a Cranium Rat so the change from beast to creature is significant.
So comparing Wild Shape to a feat that lets someone turn into a dragon is unbalanced - an adult Gold Dragon is CR 17 and has AC 19, 256 hp, flies at 80', swims at 40', a +8 STR mod, fire immunity, blindsight, breathes underwater, legendary resistance, makes a Frightful Presence attack plus 3 more attacks per round, plus legendary actions.
That's just a feat compared to one of a druid's main class features which at 17th level can change her into a CR 5 Fire Elemental at best.

This feat at 17th level sounds more like True Polymorph, a 9th level spell, something no other feat comes close to. Compare it with Magic Initiate which gives to 0-level spells and a 1st level spell once per long rest.
Also, dragon wyrmlings have between a CR 1 to 3 so taking this feat at low levels can be tricky.

ro

First Post
First of all, Wild Shape only lets druids turn into beasts; the only magic-type effect I can think for a beast is a Cranium Rat so the change from beast to creature is significant.
So comparing Wild Shape to a feat that lets someone turn into a dragon is unbalanced - an adult Gold Dragon is CR 17 and has AC 19, 256 hp, flies at 80', swims at 40', a +8 STR mod, fire immunity, blindsight, breathes underwater, legendary resistance, makes a Frightful Presence attack plus 3 more attacks per round, plus legendary actions.
That's just a feat compared to one of a druid's main class features which at 17th level can change her into a CR 5 Fire Elemental at best.

This feat at 17th level sounds more like True Polymorph, a 9th level spell, something no other feat comes close to. Compare it with Magic Initiate which gives to 0-level spells and a 1st level spell once per long rest.
Also, dragon wyrmlings have between a CR 1 to 3 so taking this feat at low levels can be tricky.

The single available creature would be limited: I'm not going to let a level 5 character become a dragon with amazing powers. I will provide a stat block for the creature which will differ from the monster manual. In the wyrmling example, it wouldn't be a choice of one from the manual but rather a single build with directions for adjusting proficiency bonus and HP, etc, as you level, all the way from level 1 to level 20.

This is also why I mentioned 9th-level Shapechange, which allows you to become any creature, not just beasts, and does not allow legendary actions nor the Spellcasting trait (but it does allow you to use your own Spellcasting). Shapechange also allows you to switch to other forms any time you want for the duration of the spell: Wild Shape (and this feat) do not let you do that.

Magic Initiate is a nice feat in the beginning of the game, but taking it at 16th or 19th level would be a weak choice.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Assuming this is once per long rest, right? The balance would very much depend on the actual stats of the creature you can turn into, not all creatures of the same CR are of similar efficacy when they become player resources.

But Shapechange is probably the wrong metric, that spell opens up pretty much the entire Monster Manual and lets you swap between them. Being limited to one creature is much closer in power to Polymorph than Shapechange, I'd call it about 6th level. (My dragon sorcerer has a homebrewed spell which does pretty much the same thing, and it's 6th level, which feels about right.) I think getting a single spell slot to cast one scaling spell feels right for a feat.

ro

First Post
Assuming this is once per long rest, right? The balance would very much depend on the actual stats of the creature you can turn into, not all creatures of the same CR are of similar efficacy when they become player resources.

But Shapechange is probably the wrong metric, that spell opens up pretty much the entire Monster Manual and lets you swap between them. Being limited to one creature is much closer in power to Polymorph than Shapechange, I'd call it about 6th level. (My dragon sorcerer has a homebrewed spell which does pretty much the same thing, and it's 6th level, which feels about right.) I think getting a single spell slot to cast one scaling spell feels right for a feat.

Yes, I actually looked at Polymorph initially but started working in terms of Shapechange because I liked the wording of it better overall. But certainly the effect is more Polymorph-like in that it is a single creature, not a changing option, and it is always the same creature at that, compared to a once-per-day Polymorph which allows for different options day-to-day.

Comparing Polymorph to True Polymorph, other than transforming to or from objects, is the only difference that True Polymorph can turn into non-beasts?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Comparing Polymorph to True Polymorph, other than transforming to or from objects, is the only difference that True Polymorph can turn into non-beasts?
That's one big difference; the other is that True Polymorph is permanent if you have an hour.

Remove ads