• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild Talents

I haven't heard a lot about this but from what I scanned at my FLGS it looks really interesting. I'm wondering if anyone here plays? Opinions about the game? What's the prep-time like?

And are there any online communities supporting it?

coyote6

Adventurer
I have it, but just because of my habit of buying superhero systems. :) Haven't played it, though.

I've seen ORE (the underlying rules engine) discussion on RPG.net.

pawsplay

Hero
I didn't even realize this was getting a new edition until I saw it in the store and snapped it up. I haven't had a change to do a read-over yet. Godlike, a WWII-based game in the same milieu that debuted teh ORE system, was a well-made product, although I ultimately sold my copy due to a number of issues with the game as a whole. Still, I always wanted to see a revision, and in the meantime, I felt like I had to check out Wild Talents.

pawsplay

Hero
Wow, I just finished my first read-through and it is incredible. I think I would like to make Wild Talents my next campaign. Although it is fundamentally a toolkit, it includes a sample setting that continues the Godlike alternate history to the present day, and it is wild. "Superhero Roleplaying in a World Gone Mad" is about right.

This is not a "beginner's game," not because the mechanics are complicated, but because the Miracle (powers) system requires a certain level of mastery to implement. The Miracle Cafeteria covers a lot of cool powers, but only the beginning of what you would see in a full supers campaign. A sort of Superman would be pretty easy to put together, but building Captain America's shield would require some thought as to how you wanted to handle it.

pawsplay

Hero
This is my first stab at character creation.

Officer G.A.U.N.T.L.E.T.
General Automaton, Utilizing Neural Training in Law Enforcement Technology

Archetype: Artificial (12), No Base Will, Unhealing, Mutable
Intrinsics: Inhuman Stats (Body 6+, Charm -1, Command -1) (1)

Body 6d (30), Coordination 2d (10), Sense 2d (10), Mind 2d (10), Charm 1d (5), Command 2d (10)
Total: 75.

Skills
Dodge 2d (4) (4d)
Driving (Car) 2d (4) (4d)
Ranged Weapon (Pistol) 3d (6) (5d)
Perception 1d (2) (3d)
First Aid 1d (2) (3d)
Knowledge (Police Science) 2d (4) (4d)
Security Systems 1d (2) (3d)
Lie 2hd (8) (1d+2hd)
Persuasion 1d (2) (2d)
Interrogation 2d (4) (4d)
Total: 40.

Powers
Enhanced GPS: Hyper Navigation 2hd (4) (3d+2hd)
Full Scanners: Hyper Scrutiny, Useful +1, 2hd (8) (2d+2hd)
Robotic Body 2hd (76)
Heavy Armor: Defends, Armored Defense -2, Permanent +4, Interference +3, Native Power +1. Capacities: Self.
Light Armor: Defends, Armored Defense -2, Permanent +4, Native Power +1. Capacities: Self.
Immune to Metabolic and Environmental Hazards: Useful, Permanent +4, Self Only -3, If/Then (only for Variable Effect) -1, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for immunities) -1, Variable Effect +4, Native Power +1. Capacities: Self.
Total: 19 per rank.
Optically Mounted Laser 5d, Attacks +2, Slow -1, Penetrating +1 (20)
Perfect Recall 2hd: Useful, Self Only -3, Duration +2. Capacities: Self. (4)
Total: 122.

Description: Officer GAUNTLET is a prototype for a law enforcement robot. Mysterious benefactors working with his developers helped fund his deployment. He looks something like a cross between Robocop and a Terminator, covered in dense alloy armor over a lightweight, articulated frame.

Abilities:
GAUNTLET is quite strong and durable, owing to his construction. He has HAR 2, LAR 2, and immunity to such hazards as poison, disease, cold, vacuum, and radiation.
He has a built in GPS, plus a wide-spectrum optical scanner with smart targer recognition, making him extremely efficient at sweeping searches. His perfect recall ability works as a sort of record-mode he can switch on, storing a significant amount of audiovisual recording (about one scene per width). He can delete old recordings to make room for new ones, in which case he has to rely on his ordinary memory.
He has a powerful laser-guided plasma beam mounted into his right eye. Although accurate and powerful, it is not capable of rapid fire due to energy consumption and cooldown issues.
Owing to his artifical nature, the GAUNTLET android is a stone cold liar with good human interaction programming, but his ruses may not withstand sophisticated scrutiny because of his somewhat superficial understanding of human psychology. He is also a capable driver, shootist, driver, and first responder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads