• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild West Fantasy Idea

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'm a big fan of westerns. Some of my favorite all-time movies are westerns from movies like Tombstone to The Sons of Katie Elder. I also like Sidewinder: recoiled. However, I haven't had much chance to use it yet as my group likes to play primarily fantasy games. I got to thinking about an idea. I want to use Sidewinder as the base, use Spellslinger for the background material, and add in a little Etherscope and Iron Kingdoms for "Old World" and big city (cosmopolitan) flavor. All in all, it would be a fantasy world during the time of the Wild West.

The world map would pretty much be our world. Humans primarily run the show, but other races such as elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, orc, goblins, grey runners, lupins, and so on would have a place as well. There's magic, but not very much of it, and those that have the power to use it are mystically branded (ala Spellslinger) and are feared for their ability. Mechanika exists and is implimented into most major cities, but not so much out on the frontier.

That's about all I have. I started brainstorming the other night while watching Deadwood (the best show on TV IMNSHO).

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Yep, and while I enjoy the system and the setting, I don't want a really dark and depressing feel and I want to use D20. There are a few ideas in there that I will likely use however.

That reminds me. I need to pick up the new edition of Deadlands...

C. Baize

First Post
Marshall Legolas vs Pancho Grishnakh and the Orcish Bandito Horde!

That could rock.

Hmmm.... Sidewinder: Recoiled would be a great base for it.
Maybe with Legends of Sorcery for my use for magic.
Though I might have to write in a full new social order... like what rights the non-Human humanoids have in Old West America...
Would we have protest marches for Dwarven Suffrage? Equal rights for Hobgoblins?
And I definitely recommend the D20 version of Deadlands (I just wish it was D20 Modern) in the mix. Just the critters, themselves, and the Ghost Rock would be worth it, without even needing to include the setting.
Add in just a touch of "Wild Wild West" (the movie) steampunk for Old West gadgets, and that sounds like a rompin' stompin' good ol' time.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
C. Baize said:
Marshall Legolas vs Pancho Grishnakh and the Orcish Bandito Horde!

That could rock.

Hmmm.... Sidewinder: Recoiled would be a great base for it.
Maybe with Legends of Sorcery for my use for magic.
Though I might have to write in a full new social order... like what rights the non-Human humanoids have in Old West America...
Would we have protest marches for Dwarven Suffrage? Equal rights for Hobgoblins?
And I definitely recommend the D20 version of Deadlands (I just wish it was D20 Modern) in the mix. Just the critters, themselves, and the Ghost Rock would be worth it, without even needing to include the setting.
Add in just a touch of "Wild Wild West" (the movie) steampunk for Old West gadgets, and that sounds like a rompin' stompin' good ol' time.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

As for the rights of non-humans, I was thinking most races would take the place of certain nations (but not really the history of those nations). For instance, Elves inhabit the isle of Britian. They once ruled over many of the other races, but have struck an uneasy truce for the moment. Dwarves hail from the Alps primarily and have a particularly Russian bent to them. Halflings are the gypsies of the world; mistrusted and hated in some cases. Gray Runners take the place of Native Americans. Humans are found everywhere, but are largely found throughout France to Germany, Asia, and parts of Africa. Orcs primarily hail from Northern Africa and somewhat into the Middle East. Trollkin hail from the Middle East primarily. Lupins are found in icelandic regions.

While I don't want to make it the central focus to the setting, slavery will be touched upon in some areas. The practice is outlawed among most nations, but not all and freed slaves will face racism and the fight for truly equal rights. Most of the focus will be on the gold rush, the push of civilization on gray runner lands, and the violence inherent in most boomtowns.

C. Baize

First Post
Nice... I did something relatively similar with my Second Chance setting.
The different continents/regions represented the different fantasy worlds. North America was Greyhawk/Oerth. Europe was Faerun. Asia was Kara-Tur, etc... It took a tiny bit of fiddling (the Weave was relegated to Ley Lines, and such), but overall, my players dug it, because they could move relatively easy between "worlds" via a boat, or extended overland travel.
I dig that sort of thing.
Good idea.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
C. Baize said:
Nice... I did something relatively similar with my Second Chance setting.
The different continents/regions represented the different fantasy worlds. North America was Greyhawk/Oerth. Europe was Faerun. Asia was Kara-Tur, etc... It took a tiny bit of fiddling (the Weave was relegated to Ley Lines, and such), but overall, my players dug it, because they could move relatively easy between "worlds" via a boat, or extended overland travel.
I dig that sort of thing.
Good idea.
Thanks.

*Wayne's* story hour has got my gears turning as well. With Britian controlled by elves, it's not like I can just tweak history a little. Good stuff.

Heap, thanks for that comic.

Ideas flowing all over now!

Edit: Forgot who posted the GURPS story hour.

Are you going to post any more of it Wayne?

Last edited:

Remove ads