• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wilderlands too old?

Black Pharaoh

First Post
I love the wilderlands setting, but I am worried that it is too small. There is way to much stuff crammed into a small area. A region 100 miles across populated by tribes of horse nomads, vast forests that are only 20-40 miles across.

MonsterMash

First Post
Black Pharaoh said:
I love the wilderlands setting, but I am worried that it is too small. There is way to much stuff crammed into a small area. A region 100 miles across populated by tribes of horse nomads, vast forests that are only 20-40 miles across.
A lot of people have done things like resizing the hexes to represent 5 leagues or 25 miles across. I think that the original was supposed to have 3 league hexes or 5 league hexes, see a thread on the Necromancer boards for plenty of discussion of this.
http://p096.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm42.showMessage?topicID=181.topic

Melan

Explorer
Numion said:
It is sometimes used cheaply, but you have to be fair and acknowledge that the sword swings both ways. The settings marketing has no qualms sprinkling about the words first and classic. From the Judges Guild site:
<snip>
The question whether it's just nostalgia or not is sometimes justified. The publishers have no problem with the free publicity it creates, Wilderlands had much more hype coming out the door than most current campaign settings. So it's a valid question, because people need to know if it lives up to the hype.
That's a fair point, Numion. I modify my argument: although many older products appeal in part due to the associated nostalgia, many are remembered because they have remained enjoyable through the years. "It is only due to nostalgia" is a weak argument because it is dismissive. Nostalgia only goes so far - while I am nostalgic about my early D&Ding days (most of which were under the 2e rules), I wouldn't want to go back to them. But the Giants series or the Wilderlands, products I didn't have access to when I was a teenager, I consider very good. Likewise, I'd happily revisit certain Dungeon magazine adventures from cca. 1993... like Asflag's Unintentional Emporium.

And by the way, if I recall correctly, I was responsible for naming Castle Slayer and its erstwhile master. I claim all responsibility. ;)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Son_of_Thunder said:

Buy.com has been doing this for a while. 10% better than Amazon. They're usually pretty good. In my last three orders, I got two of the books (one order for Old World Armoury and another order for Old World Bestiary) but then they screwed up my Calvin and Hobbes complete order claiming it wasn't in sotck! :confused: When I can walk into Sam's Club and buy it, I know it's in stock. Poor planning on their part and all that. So I ordered the C & H from good old Books A Million fo ra cheaper price with free shipping and handling.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
DaveMage said:
Ironically, this is exactly how I felt, and feel today, about the Dragonlance setting.

I loved it when I was a teenager...

Exactly. We all have something we thought was great once and now we don't. I don't think this invalidates other people's enjoyment of it, though. Like I said, I really would have liked a big boxed set like this when I was a teen - it's somewhat like the World of Greyhawk folio, which had a similar hex map and location key arrangement.

Would the Wilderlands work as well if it were presented in a style more in line with the 3.5 setting books, like the Eberron campaign setting hardcover? Is the setting itself strong without the old-school hex map approach?

Cheers,
Cam

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads