Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
I am considering a house rules change.

I want hp healing to be easier than under the core rules and less magic dependent. I want healing magic to be a beneficial option but not a necessity. I tried to accomplish this with reserve points but I'm not entirely satisfied with the solution. It only allows one set of hp to be self healed out of combat then requires twice the rest/healing to regain full capacity.

It has not become an issue yet but I don't want to hit speed bumps that halt the plot to bed rest PCs due to being involved in normal D&D style combats. Alternately I don't want PCs to feel they have to jump into dangerous situations with dangerously low hp just to keep up with the plot based solely on how much magical healing there is in the party. With reserve points the problem is partially alleviated but healing magic is still very important to get up to full and in certain situations becomes more important due to having twice as much to heal.

I really like the way 4e approaches the issue with healing surges.

1 Each PC gets a number of healing surges per day based on a number associated with their class (usually 6, but some have 7 or 9) plus their con bonus.

2 Using a healing surge heals up 1/4 max hp.

3 Once per combat a PC can use a standard action to catch a second wind and use a surge to heal himself.

4 healing surges can be used outside of combat as many times as desired until they are used up.

5 magic healing allows the immediate use of a surge plus the healing of the magic, but has no effect if the subject does not have or decides not to use a surge.

6 hp and surges are restored to full after a full rest.

The big consequence I see is that healing magic will be less necessary between fights but can make a lot of difference in a fight.

I have implemented this in my recently started non enworld 3.5/Pathfinder email/face to face game where the player's were enthusiastic about it, both those who play 4e and those who wanted nothing to do with 4e.

I wanted to solicit your input about adopting it here as this would be a change from the game as it has been run so far.

Pyrex

First Post
Sounds fine to me.

3) For both parity and reasonableness though I'd rather that instead of spending a Healing Surge as a Standard Action; you spend a Healing Surge as part of taking the Total Defense standard action.

5) This makes in-combat healing substantially more powerful than it is now. This should probably be you can either take the rolled value for free or spend a Surge and heal your Surge Value (1/4 max HP). This allows clerical healing to scale much more nicely without becoming silly and allows for a much cleaner 3.5 representation of the 4E healing powers (all 4E classes with access to heals have access to some powers that require the target to spend a surge and some that don't) as Cure Light Wounds will almost always be replaced by a Healing Surge, but still provides useful-but-not-broken niches for spells like Cure Critical and Mass Cure Light Wounds

Voidrazor

First Post
I like it. IMO clerical healing needs a boost. The amount a cleric can heal in one round tends to be less than the amount of damage a character that is in HTH receives each round.

Shayuri

First Post
I'd be up for trying it as an experiment and see how it runs. No harm in that.

As one of the group healers, I can see the merits.

:)

Voadam

Legend
I am in the process of selling my current home and moving to another state. I will not be completely offline but I expect my online gaming to be sporadic through mid May when I expect my family and myself to be mostly settled in our new place barring unforseen problems.

Remove ads