• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will be running CD2 tomorrow, any suggestions ?

Yig

First Post
Hi,

Since I really enjoyed playing thru CD3 & 4, I decided to DM CD2 (the one I did not play) for my group tomorrow and I have a few questions:

- Is it 3.5 ? Don't think it really matter but...

- What hook did you use with your group ?

And the most important one:

- The party is balanced but not very optimized and is composed of 6 level 6 characters. At least 2 are very close to level 7. Any quick fix to up the challenge level without doing a TPK ? :)

I assume that bumping everything with 3 more level/HD would work fine.

Thanks !

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Hiya Yig!

Well, I ran it. :D What sort of questions did you have (and I hope I'm not too late to help)?

Yig said:
Hi,

Since I really enjoyed playing thru CD3 & 4, I decided to DM CD2 (the one I did not play) for my group tomorrow and I have a few questions:

- Is it 3.5 ? Don't think it really matter but...

- What hook did you use with your group ?

And the most important one:

- The party is balanced but not very optimized and is composed of 6 level 6 characters. At least 2 are very close to level 7. Any quick fix to up the challenge level without doing a TPK ? :)

I assume that bumping everything with 3 more level/HD would work fine.

Thanks !

It is 3.5 (all CDs are) and I simply started them in a town near a sewer grate and told them they had already agreed to find some missing children, last reported to have been seen being dragged down through the grating by cloaked figures however long ago the adventures says. My group knew they were playtesting and had me start them off as quickly as possible.

As to what you might want to tone down...

I'd remove the medusa and replace it with a less deadly creature that is released from behind the grating if they step in front of where the secret dooor is. It's probably too all-or-nothin, unless they have decent saving throws and a way to revive someone turned to stone. Everything else should still be challenging without being too challenging, IIRC.
end spoilers :)

Last edited:

Yig

First Post
Not too late, I'm playing in 2 hours :)

Thanks for the spoiler. I'll be careful with that one.

What about the rogues ? Wouldn't they be too weak in my case ?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Yig said:
Not too late, I'm playing in 2 hours :)

Thanks for the spoiler. I'll be careful with that one.

What about the rogues ? Wouldn't they be too weak in my case ?

Make use of their abilities. Use them the way rogues are best used.
There are lots of corners, furniture, pillars, etc., to hide behind or that cast shadows. The other encounters are tough so don't worry if they handle something more easily than you expected. That just gets them to let their guard down.
end spoiler :D

Yig

First Post
We managed to do the adventure in one sitting.

For a guy that didn't even read the adventure before running it, I think it went pretty good :)

The only "bad" thing was that I felt the rogues being only level 3 were too weak so I bumped them all to level 6. Bad move. They were still to weak at level 6.... I basically gave them a truckload of free xp.

Still, we had a fun day.

Oh, I should also mention that due to a prior adventure, they were really scared/suspicisous of the carpet in one of the room :]

I need more dungeons with big carpets in them.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads