• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will D&D make strength matter again?

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not overly concerned but if you were happy with 3e then perhaps use 3e as a model. Finesse weapons can use Dexterity to hit but damage is still based on Strength.
This.

When people think it's so complicated, I don't understand why they don't just check up on WHY things have changed.

Once you have a list of specific 3E to 5E changes, it stands to reason you can simply change back any of them.

After all, if it worked for d20 during ten years or more, it will do for your 5E game just fine.

CapnZapp

Legend
Meh, other than the Rogue, DEX-melee is pretty weak. DEX-melee can't rock feats like Shield Master, Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, etc. DEX-melee can't grapple and/or shove you prone, either. STR is still easily the superior melee stat.
He's obviously talking 1H weapons.

CapnZapp

Legend
1) Get rid of rapiers altogether.
I suggest you get -2 to hit any monster with AC 16 or more using a rapier to simply model how vulnerable that weapon is against metal armor, which should nicely temper your players' enthusiasm for the weapon! ☺

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Multiple attacks generally stay ahead of sneak attack due to adding their ability bonus and other modifiers to every attack. Combining multiple attacks and sneak attack can make sneak attack more reliable, but is generally a loss of overall damage even for styles other than two-handed.
A pure Fighter will generally deal out more damage than a Fighter/Rogue for example, particularly at and after the levels that they get extra attacks.

Kind of...

At will-DPR the rogue/fighter at level 11 will do a little more than the pure fighter (any variety) against most AC's (and against the more common AC's for those levels). ***A single +1 magic weapon likely changes that.

However, action surge gets better with that 3rd extra attack and superiority dice continue to grow in number and size as the pure fighter levels. Those 2 things tend to put the pure fighter doing maybe 10% more daily damage than the fighter rogue who has only a slight amount of higher at-will DPR.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But how many of them are not 2H fighters?!

All the shield master fighters :)

All the barbarian fighter multiclasses (I'm surprised this isn't a more popular multiclass)

99% of paladins and clerics are str based (probably because aesthetics)

All in all though, it's generally a bad idea to go str instead of dex unless you have a compelling reason to go str. Class features keying off str like barbarian rage damage. Two handed weapons all require strength. Shield Master shove keys off str. Heavy armor requires a bit of str.

Every other character, including wizards and sorcerors and such end up with a decent dex score...

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I solved the Strength vs Dexterity problem in my game with the following houserule:

All weapons key off strength unless they have the finesse property

akr71

Hero
ESPECIALLY BOWS! Sure Dex (hand-eye coordination) may factor into aiming, but the draw weight of bows should factor into it.

It would likely be too fiddley, but I think +Dex to hit and Str to damage for long bows and short bows. Heck, I'd even add a minimum Str requirement to the long bow (and a few melee weapons)

Remove ads