Will D&D make strength matter again?

Spastik

First Post
So hexblade warlock is better fighter than a fighter? :erm:

Early on, I think so. Even lvl 5 it's probably close as well when you get that second attack, but eventually a fighter will get more gear and more attacks and outshine a Hexblade in close melee. I have done a couple Hexblades in AL and have pissed off a few fighters by its effectiveness early on.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
On the other hand, whenever I see threads suggesting use the Encumbrance Rules and track Equipment Weight, I always have the same response:

You do that. Myself, I think equipment and encumbrance are outrageously boring details, and I would much rather fix STR as a dump stat in other ways.

:angel:

I agree, tracking is a pain. That's why I mentioned the Forged Anvil CS after the part you quoted, which does the heavy lifting for you (no pun intended...ok, maybe a bit).

Alas, for whatever reason, there are some of us who like to track our equipment. Some don't. I get it. But even having a vague idea of weights can help a DM and player recognize when a PC might be hauling around just a bit too much with STR 8 score.

Use variant encumbrance rules and when PC slow down to 20’ speed and have to leave treasure behind they won’t dump STR anymore.

The dumping of stats is due to array and point buy systems that encourage (demand) that.

I don't play the variant exactly, however often make it clear that the treasure cannot be carried but stronger character could manage more, and in no circumstance I have given a bag of holding as a magic item.

Lost Soul

First Post
Too strong. What the heck were you thinking?

I am thinking of a way to increase damage for strength based attacks to compensate for dex being too uber. I don't think giving fighters an extra die of damage per hit when using a non-finesse attack OP considering smites & sneak attack are in the game. My group has quite a few fighter/rogues due to finesse allow dex to apply to hit & damage rolls, initiative and sneak attack dice with finesse weapons. Also the feat that allows you to add proficiency to you AC as a reaction every round vs an attack is quite powerful when combined with a high armor class. I want strength to be relevant and it defies my belief that Conan would lose out on damage vs a guy with a dagger for several levels of his career as defined by 5E

Lost Soul

First Post
So hexblade warlock is better fighter than a fighter? :erm:

Yep because 5E designers have devalued strength as a valid stat choice. I blame 3E for opening the door and crack with finesse feat to hit and 4E for burning down the house with any stat being used for melee attack rolls.

I want strength to be relevant and it defies my belief that Conan would lose out on damage vs a guy with a dagger for several levels of his career as defined by 5E
The most damage a Lv. 5 Rogue with 2 daggers (I'll be generous and give him 2 daggers) is doing is 2d4+3d6+DEX ( =1d4 dagger +1d4 dagger +3d6 Sneak Attack). With 16 DEX that's 18.5, and that's the ceiling (barring a crit).

The base damage a Lv. 5 Fighter with a greatsword (plus Great Weapon Style) is doing is 4d6(r1&2)+2*STR. With 16 STR that's 22.7, already surpassing the maximum of what the Rogue can do. Oh but I didn't even add the Great Weapon Master feat yet. That's another +20, making the Fighter's damage ceiling 42.7. Oh, I didn't Action Surge? I did now. 85.4. What about a few Superiority Dice? That'll be another 4d8 to the damage ceiling, or 18 more points.

So "Conan" here, at Lv. 5, can choose a round to inflict a maximum of 103.4 points of damage. Even if the Fighter misses on 2 of his 4 attacks on his Action Surge turn (likely if he doesn't get advantage), he's still dealing more than 50. All the dagger guy will ever do in comparison is 18.5 at most. Ever.

Clearly, you did not think this comparison through.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
We're getting sidetracked, folks.

Just because Strength is not worthless does not mean the OP doesn't have a point.

No, the Fighter is certainly not a chump (at least not in games with feats). The strength fighter is, in fact, the game's extremely frightening DPR king.

Does that mean the OP is wrong? No. Strength is still devalued compared to previous editions.

The OP wants Strength to be the go-to ability score even if you don't create a greatweapon/polearm character. In 5E you have little reason to create a Strength-based longsword or battleaxe wielder. That is the issue; that's what the OP wants to discuss and change.

Cheers

Lost Soul

First Post
We're getting sidetracked, folks.

Just because Strength is not worthless does not mean the OP doesn't have a point.

No, the Fighter is certainly not a chump (at least not in games with feats). The strength fighter is, in fact, the game's extremely frightening DPR king.

Does that mean the OP is wrong? No. Strength is still devalued compared to previous editions.

The OP wants Strength to be the go-to ability score even if you don't create a greatweapon/polearm character. In 5E you have little reason to create a Strength-based longsword or battleaxe wielder. That is the issue; that's what the OP wants to discuss and change.

Cheers

Thank you CapnZapp. Finally someone gets my point! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Lost Soul

First Post
The most damage a Lv. 5 Rogue with 2 daggers (I'll be generous and give him 2 daggers) is doing is 2d4+3d6+DEX ( =1d4 dagger +1d4 dagger +3d6 Sneak Attack). With 16 DEX that's 18.5, and that's the ceiling (barring a crit).

The base damage a Lv. 5 Fighter with a greatsword (plus Great Weapon Style) is doing is 4d6(r1&2)+2*STR. With 16 STR that's 22.7, already surpassing the maximum of what the Rogue can do. Oh but I didn't even add the Great Weapon Master feat yet. That's another +20, making the Fighter's damage ceiling 42.7. Oh, I didn't Action Surge? I did now. 85.4. What about a few Superiority Dice? That'll be another 4d8 to the damage ceiling, or 18 more points.

So "Conan" here, at Lv. 5, can choose a round to inflict a maximum of 103.4 points of damage. Even if the Fighter misses on 2 of his 4 attacks on his Action Surge turn (likely if he doesn't get advantage), he's still dealing more than 50. All the dagger guy will ever do in comparison is 18.5 at most. Ever.

Clearly, you did not think this comparison through.

I actually stated in my thread that Great Weapon Master is not part of the discussion. Secondly, it would be better for Conan to be fighter 5/rogue 6 with a rapier than fighter 11 with a great sword. He would have 2D8+21 +3D6 compared to 6D6+15 for great sword plus having a +2 bonus to his AC for using a shield vs no shield. It should not require a feat to make Heavy Weapons viable and there is no equivalent one handed strength weapon feats that compare to defensive duelist.

Remove ads