• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will I like Dragonlance books?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Overall dragonlance books tend toward the mediocre with notable exceptions in either direction. The original trilogy is fairly decent, better toward the end than beginning though even when I first read it I thought it was kind of flat.
The two books about the draconian regiment Doom Brigade, and Draconian Measures are fairly solid, but not great. Overall I've got a limited budget for books and I spend more on sci-fi than on fantasy.

phoenixgod2000

First Post
Mallus said:
I more or less loved them, especially Achamian. I think what you're calling navel gazing I'd call 'fleshing out wonderfully human characters who also happen to be epic level monks and sorcerers'.

Most of them are human, although my problem with Kelhus is that he isn't human enough. I don''t want to root for him, I don't care about him, I just sort of enjoy watching him play puppetmaster, but I'm not even sure to what end anymore. I don't think they are well fleshed out. Martin does a far better job of showing characters personal journeys as the backdrop to the plot, managing to juggle both pretty effectively. In Bakkar, the plot just grinds to a halt every time a character starts to agonize over something. Achamian and Esmenet are particularly bad at that--especially when they are together.

That's a gross misrepresentation of the novels. More so than any recent fantasy they have a beginning, middle, and end. It is the story of the Crusade, from the political machinations at it's inception to the eventual siege of the Holy City, plus the gradual revelation of connections to several more ancient conflicts. A lot happens.

Not really. I'm halfway through the Thousandfold thought and other than the exile of Conphas (better known as Alexander the Great) I can't think of a single important event. There are more in the prologue to Storm of Swords.

Besides, it's also Nietzsche Christ Überstar... that has to count for something.

I do spend a silly amount of time attempting to create a Dunyan character class :)

Raistlin is a good character. Good enough that he survived Weiss and Hickman's attempts at portraying him.

But they invented him. The bare bones to the character are in the published adventure sure, but the wonderfully complex relation between him and Carmon and Bupu and Lady Crystiana are all from their writing.

He still gives me goosebumps in Dragons of a Summer Flame. I can't wait to here Kiefer Sutherland portray him in the animated movie.

Storm Raven

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
If you haven't read George R.R. Martin, do so. It is slightly different fantasy (less fantastic, more realistic, more gritty), but I personally think it is the best modern fantasy since Tolkein.

Storm Raven's list of authors is also excellent.

I knew I left out some good stuff - yes, read Martin. Also, add to the list I put up previously Ursula K. LeGuin, C.S. Lewis, Patricia McKillip, and Gene Wolfe. I am certain I have still forgotten some good stuff. The list of good fantasy authors is as long as my arm. Unless you read four to five books per week (as I do), you will likely never need to resort to the ghetto of licensed fiction.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
I knew I left out some good stuff - yes, read Martin. Also, add to the list I put up previously Ursula K. LeGuin, C.S. Lewis, Patricia McKillip, and Gene Wolfe. I am certain I have still forgotten some good stuff. The list of good fantasy authors is as long as my arm. Unless you read four to five books per week (as I do), you will likely never need to resort to the ghetto of licensed fiction.

I hate the stuff you like. :p

I am sure those authors are fine, but I still like Dragonlance AND Forgotten Realms fiction. :)

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Crothian said:
I wonder if Vigwyn the Unruly made a choice or if the bickering kept him away.
I think I have decided to read something else instead. I don't have much time, so I don't want to waste it with something I'm going to be disappointed in.

However, the book I have is the annotated version of the original three books, so I'll keep it in case I ever get more time, get really bored, or just get curious.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I now have a long list of authors I need to check out. :)

Storm Raven

First Post
Galeros said:
I hate the stuff you like. :p

You hate the bulk of written works that constitute fantasy fiction?

(And no, licensed D&D books don't count, those are entirely derivative, and for most of them not worth the paper they are printed upon).

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
You hate the bulk of written works that constitute fantasy fiction?

(And no, licensed D&D books don't count, those are entirely derivative, and for most of them not worth the paper they are printed upon).

I was joking. :p

I am sure they are good books, I just have not gotten around to reading them yet. :)

ShadowX

First Post
The first book is rather terrible, the next two are definitely a notch up, but I think the pinnacle is reached in the Twins novels. Raistlin is just dang cool.

As for Bakker, anyone that reads fantasy must have a certain patience because fantasy novels are often plodding affairs, but Bakker really stretched my tolerance. The third book, especially, is complete tripe that suffers one of the most unfulfilling endings I have ever read. It doesn't help that he peppers the books with tepid discussions of "philosophy" that assure me why he is writing novels now rather than utilizing his PhD for more intellectual pursuits.

Remove ads