• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will-o-wisps and Maze

adwyn

Community Supporter
Looking at will-o-wisps the other night I noticed that they are immune to most magic except magic missles (makes sense and what I remember) and the maze spell.

So why the maze spell? Is there some fairy tale or folklore I've forgotten? It just seems like and odd choice.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
adwyn said:
Looking at will-o-wisps the other night I noticed that they are immune to most magic except magic missles (makes sense and what I remember) and the maze spell.

So why the maze spell? Is there some fairy tale or folklore I've forgotten? It just seems like and odd choice.

It's probably because of the folklore tradition that they lure travellers into becoming lost - and hence are immune that themselves, much like Minotaurs are supposed to be inherently familiar with mazes. I'm guessing this carries over from 1E, though I don't have my books handy.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
lukelightning said:
But they are affected by maze. Is it a case of the lost leading the lost?

Hmm - I thought it was the opposite! Now that makes no sense at all. I suppose it could be viewed as a vulnerability? Who knows. Its not like you're gonna blow a Maze spell on a will o'wisp.

gizmo33

First Post
I don't think there is any folklore precedent for this. I know that 1E willowisps did have almost complete immunity to magic, and my guess (without the books in front of me) is that this is that the maze vulnerability is a 1E feature as well. It's possible that Gygax ruled that the willowisp could be affected by maze on the fly in response to a player casting the spell, and that it wasn't really a thoroughly reasoned feature, but just seemed reasonable at the time. Seems ok - the maze spell (esp in 1E) could be considered a spell that's cast more-so around the victim then at them, meaning that even a highly magic resistant creature could be subject to it.

Crothian

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
Hmm - I thought it was the opposite! Now that makes no sense at all. I suppose it could be viewed as a vulnerability? Who knows. Its not like you're gonna blow a Maze spell on a will o'wisp.

I don't know. We're getting our asses kicked by one in a pbp. If we had Maze we'd be using it :D

Doug McCrae

Legend
How about this for a combo?

A will-o'-wisp with one level of sorcerer so it can cast shield and one level of monk or ninja for the AC bonus. Almost unkillable at CR8.

lukelightning

First Post
Crothian said:
I don't know. We're getting our asses kicked by one in a pbp. If we had Maze we'd be using it :D

That's when you start making like Gary Gygax's player and lobby for some spell to work on it...find some spell in the spell compendium and say that "logically" the spell should work.

The problem with things that are immune to every spell except such-and-such is that it doesn't take into account new sources.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads