• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will the Wizards Digital Initiative still be around in 5 years?

Will the Wizards Digital Initiative still be around in 5 years?

• Yes

Votes: 36 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 89 71.2%

• Poll closed .

Ranger REG

Explorer
If I have my way with people, it won't last a day.

Remind me why democracy is a good thing (I don't even choose that government in my Civ3).

Blessed Kitten

First Post
Delta said:
Which way would you bet -- Will the Wizards Digital Initiative still be around in 5 years?
This is a loaded question.

You are presuming that they will have their Digital Initiative up and running sometime in the next 5 years.

Edit: Damnit. Eric beat me to it. :eek:

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
I agree with Ranger REG. While I'm a relatively tech savvy guy, I'm not all enamored with the push to make everything electronic. I love books (all books) and have a rather extensive library, both gaming and otherwise. I will continue to purchase books (and I don't count them if I print them myself) and will continue to shy away from digital media.

I love Dragon and Dungeon, in print form. If Wizards Digital Initiative dies on the vine, I'm not going to shed a tear.

Vanuslux

Explorer
I love my Rhapsody and GameTap memberships. I love my MP3 player and my iPAQ and loved my laptop when it worked. I spend hundreds of dollars a year at RPGNow. I'd be all for the success of the Digital Initiative if WotC weren't pursuing it in such a cutthroat manner. Regardless, we just don't know enough about it to even guess at its longevity.

caudor

Adventurer
I voted yes.

I think it is about time that a real digital initiative got off the ground.

In this day and age, we *should* have a character generator that includes access to current and future materials. As of right now, the sheer volume of material makes utilizing much of it difficult. We need some modern tools. D&D needs to grow. The 'next big thing' is making D&D easier to play without dumbing it down.

We should also be able to play D&D with distant friends using the internet. The technology needed to make the game much easier to prepare/play exists.

Change is in the air and I'm ready.

MarkB

Legend
EricNoah said:
I would vote if the question was "will be ready within 5 years" -- 'cause it doesn't seem likely to me. :D
Ditto. I also was going to ask for a "Will it be around yet in five years?" option. :lol:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I have no idea.

Unlike apparently the vast majority of people here, I love the existing Wizards site and have great confidence in the team that will likely be working on Dragon and Dungeon, and, having done web design in the past, I know that at least 90% of the 'difficulty' is smoke and mirrors to raise the profit margins of web design companies. So, I have every confidence the service will be up and running, and will be of exceptional quality.

Nonetheless, predicting the state of anything in the RPG industry five years out would be foolish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads