• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Will there be a "Die Vecna Die" equivalent for 3E-4E?

victorysaber

First Post
If I'm not wrong, the last time there was an edition change, there was an adventure, "Die Vecna Die", which bridged the gap between the two editions.

In that it was a massive multiverse alternating adventure that supposedly accounted for the in-game changes of rules and such.

Is there going to be such an adventure for 3E's ending to pave the way for 4E?

thundershot

Adventurer
I hope so. While our group played through "The Apocalypse Stone", I did buy and read "Die, Vecna! Die!" and they were both satisfactory...

Chris

For FR, the last of the three super modules is 4E compatible and is called Anarouch: The Sundering of the World. Sounds like it may include the RSE events that will shape 4E FRCS/

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
To be honest, I don't think so, outside of perhaps the FR one.

Wizard's has really gotten out of the generic adventures business--at least in terms of volume of product like the old days. There was also an adventure called The Apocalypse Stone, remember that one? It could be used to "blow up" your old world.

I think the thought is--they have game explanations for Eberron and FR, and other realms or private campaigns will have to "wing it"...it will be up to individual DMs to decide what to do.

psionotic

'The Apocalypse Stone' was hugely fun (at least in my memory of 1999!). Never played Die Vecna, but (IIRC) it has a really bad reputation in some circles... Maybe for die-hard Greyhawkers..?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I never saw much point to this sort of adventure. I'd rather just shift the rules of the game rather than have some kind of in-game event make the changes appear in the game.

Pale

First Post
How many sides are on a Die Vecna Die anyway?

How does one roll it?

Do I need to decapitate my current die to use it?

Ulrick

First Post
I have Die Vecna Die and the Apocalypse Stone. Both were meant to end 2nd Edition Campaigns. The Apocalypse Stone is the far better of the two. It has a very "Book of Revelations" feel with plagues, famine, pestilence, and war. SPOILER: And the PCs are actually the one's who CAUSE the Apocalypse!!!

Die Vecna Die, on the other hand, is such a boring read. I've never read it through completely. It manages to link Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and Planescape (via Sigil) in one supposed grand adventure that involves the demigod Iuz who acts a pawn of Vecna.
It begins with Iuz leaving his kingdom with a vast army to visit a circle of stones. The reasons for this aren't clear.

And then the adventure goes down hill from there....

As for WotC releasing something like this to end 3.5, that'd be kinda neat. If its done right and doesn't try to address the change of mechanics (like magic) that'll be introduced in 4e.

TSR did this with a late 1e/early 2e module call the Fate of Istus with lame results.

Remove ads