• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will WotC ever do a Magic the Gathering D&D setting?

Eternalknight

First Post
Do you ever think they'll do a crossover? Do you want a crossover? How do you think they could do it, if they ever do?

Personally, I'd love to see a crossover. I think Dominaria is a rich fantasy world that deserves a role-playing game treatment.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
That's too bad. So many neat Monsters and Locations. Very adventure-worthy.

Course, I don't play the games anymore, but the art books are absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to play something there.

Zappo

Explorer
One of the biggest issues in making a M:tG RPG is that you've got to choose between:
a) PCs are planewalkers
b) PCs aren't planewalkers (ie, they are 'creatures')
The two present very different options and moods for the players, and very different challenges to the game designer.

I am curious, how many crossover players are there really? Most gamers I have met have either been ambivilant to Magic the Gathering or downright hostile to it (calling it Faggot the Gathering was common).

This leads me to think that the work would not generate that much interest compared to other possible products.

Just my opinion of course, its possible I have personal met a very schewed group of people in this regard.

Eternalknight

First Post
I think making PC's planeswalkers would be the equivilant of making them gods. I think they would have to start out as normal creatures, drawn from the multitude of creature types out there. Maybe we could have base classes based upon some of the generic creature types: Soldier, Wizard and Cleric, for example. Same with the races. Then make prestige classes based upon specific cards: Benalish Hero, Prodigal Sorcerer, Elder Druid etc.

Carnifex

First Post
Well, to be honest, looking at the speed of which new products come out for MTG, adn the rate at which X plane gets wasted/ X bad guy trashes large area/ X character gets toastde in X war...

... you'd have real problems doing the setting because it changes to fast.

Eternalknight

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
I am curious, how many crossover players are there really? Most gamers I have met have either been ambivilant to Magic the Gathering or downright hostile to it (calling it Faggot the Gathering was common).

This leads me to think that the work would not generate that much interest compared to other possible products.

Just my opinion of course, its possible I have personal met a very schewed group of people in this regard.

On the contrary, most gamers I have met love playing both. Indeed, a level 3 DCI judge friend of mine reguarly DM's a group of top-level Australian Magic players.

Malin Genie

First Post
I had no idea there were still people who played M:TG (speaking as someone who played from Beta and left just after The Dark came out.)

But I too thought that it would make a very atmospheric setting - why not have the characters play the role of heroes in a world where the planewalkers stand in the place of gods?

I can just see the trip through the swamp to discover the secret of the Cyclopean Tomb, fighting off a horde of Scathe Zombies, watching Scavenging Ghouls devour their dead...

...or the trip through the Craw Wurm infested forest to strike up a treaty with the haughty Llanowar Elves...

...a lot of ideas there, and the 'basic' universe could give the core books, with supplements for 'The Artificer's Wars', 'Arabian Nights' etc

Loric

First Post
When I played magic I always thought it would be grounds for a great setting. Each supplement either adds a new era, or expands one what is already there. PC's could not be planewalkers, though I suppose an Epic proportion game could be built that way...
In its favor there are so many creatures, new spells, organizations, factions, magic items, and possible locations that it makes one dizzy to consider it. On the other hand, it would require a massive amount of work to convert it into a working D&D setting, perhaps more work there than in any other conversion I can think of off the top of my head. It would definitely be a fun project to work on though.

Loric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads