• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will you buy 4e?

Will you buy 4th edition?

• I will buy it sight unseen

Votes: 283 38.9%
  • I might buy it, after initial reviews

Votes: 163 22.4%
  • I probably will not buy it, but might eventually

Votes: 172 23.6%
  • I absolutely will not buy it

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 47 6.5%

Menexenus

First Post
I'm concerned about the relative lack of playtesting. IIRC, 3.0 had *tons* of playtesters, and they weren't all just in-house.

I'm convinced that 4E is going to be published prematurely (i.e. not sufficiently playtested), and within 2 or 3 years, they'll be forced to do a revision. I'll wait for that inevitable revision before buying anything. In the meantime, I have about three 3.x adventure paths sitting on my shelf waiting to be run.

You know, Monte Cook's decision to retire from gaming is starting to make more and more sense...

Villanelle

First Post
Just back from GenCon, I could not be more excited about the release of 4E. I play two games a week using 3.5E and I love the system as it is. When I went to the Dungeons and Dragons Q&A on Saturday with James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo, I was thinking there was no way they could improve on my beloved favorite hobby.

Yet, listening to them, I was amazed that they were identifying flaws with the game that they're hoping to refine and fix with 4E. And I realized that they were totally right. Personally I do feel that it would be great to get to the fun parts faster, set up a game easier, play with my friends that live too far to drive to, and keep a character beyond 20th level.

I've played using the Book of Nine Swords, and I have talked to people who are playing Saga, and I can't freaking wait until DnD moves in this direction! It's going to be intense, insane, and awesome. Can't freaking wait. BRING THE CHANGE!!!

Mad Mac

First Post
I'll get the core books. I mean, seriously, why not? It's a small enough investment that I'd get my moneys worth just using them as bathroom reading and as discussion fodder with other gamers. Or as a preview of what the next couple years of D&D video games are going to look like. If I end up liking it enough to play it, that's just a bonus.

I stopped buying 3.5 splatbooks over a year ago, though, and I'm not playing any other systems, so it's not like my RPG budget is going to be remotely strained 8 months down the road.

(contact)

Explorer
I'm all over 4e. Based on what I learned about it at GenCon I think it's going to be fantastic.

1) The guys at WotC think about D&D all day at work.

2) Then they go home and play thier off-work campaigns.

3) In person, they all come off as smart guys who love D&D.

4) 4e will to remove the parts of the game that get in the way of what I like to do with my games. I'm in for the ruleset.

5) I'm not convinced the electronic component will be done well, but as it is a separate purchase, I can easily give it a miss.

Last edited:

Kaffis

First Post
I voted after initial reviews, but my "initial review" is half an hour or so of flip-through in my FLGS, or sufficient preview coverage.

Initial previews and glimpses are quite encouraging, but not enough to flat-out buy sight unseen.

Carnivorous Ape

First Post
I might buy the 4E PHB but probably not for a few years yet. I have enough 3.0/3.5 adventures to last me until doomsday! For example, I've still to run Savage Tide and will no doubt want to run all of Rise of the Runelords when I get Pathfinder in my hands. :)

I play in two groups, one as a DM and one as a player. In the group where I DM there is outright hostility towards 4E. Even if 4E is solid gold, there is no way I am going to make it fly with these people!

In the group where I play, our DM has made it clear that he won't be finished for 3.5 for a long time. His campaigns are fantastic so I'm happy to go along with him on this.

Ourph

First Post
Stalker0 said:
This thread is pointless, its like saying would you buy a car that hasn't even been unveiled yet.
No, it's more like saying I'm not going buy a truck that hasn't been unveiled yet, because I don't currently drive or need a truck, I drive and need a car.

Jefuri no Oni

First Post
I will buy 4e but if they come out with a 4.5 will not be buying that, just like I avoided 3.5 like the plague. Did anyone notice how 3.5 was released right after Hasbro bought WotC. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads