Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't want to be in the room when other people of any palette are *ahem* "eating". And they, overwhelmingly, would prefer I give them their privacy as well. This is a pretty universal social norm. Almost everybody follows it. So when we're talking about two specific people who say they don't like "bean eating", we're probably talking about something a bit more than that.
I think this analogy has been taken to far. I have no clue what this is about.

devincutler

Explorer
I don't want to be in the room when other people of any palette are *ahem* "eating". And they, overwhelmingly, would prefer I give them their privacy as well. This is a pretty universal social norm. Almost everybody follows it. So when we're talking about two specific people who say they don't like "bean eating", we're probably talking about something a bit more than that.

Bean eating was not equating with sex. It was more with PDAs. For example, smooching. If two men want to smooch on a park bench, that's their right. I would never ask them to stop nor want anyone else to ask them to stop. But I would avert my eyes.; it's not pleasant for me to look at.

On the other hand, if a good-looking hetero couple or a good-looking lesbian couple were smooching on a park bench, I'd probably observe for a moment (not creepily stare, mind you) and enjoy the sight.

It's purely an aesthetic on my part and, as I said, it's my problem, not the couple's problem. But I shouldn't be condemned for that aesthetic, any more than I should be condemned for preferring red heads and brunettes over blondes, or long hair over short, or other physical characteristics that make up my aesthetic sensibilities.

Trans elves are canon in my game, much like trans humans, dwarves and half-orcs. Now, for any kind of retcon regarding previous well-established D&D lore, I'll just ignore it, as I've been doing for the past 20 years. I like AD&D lore. I find 90% of WotC's efforts to change it lackluster. Together, The Complete Book of Elves, Elves of Athas, and Elves of Evermeet have all the information I need to think about the ways of the elves in the published settings that I prefer. If/when I'm working in a homebrew campaign I'll give the sexshifting elves a second look, though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Why are we talking about gay smooching now? That’s a completely different spectrum from gender. There is no gay smooching required to include transgender elves. There’s also no transgender elves required to include sex changing elves.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
@Lychee of the Exch., many now prefer the term transgendered, in case you didn't know.

Of course there are transgendered elves in the worlds my games are set in, just as there are transgendered dwarves, transgendered hobbits, and transgendered humans.

I have absolutely zero interest in imagining a world where transgendered people don't exist.

Hannerdyn

Explorer
It doesn't bother me at all. I like the idea. However, I would rule that it is a longer transition (maybe a few months) to make it more dramatic.

TheSword

Legend
I don't like beans. I cannot control the fact that I don't like them. I was not traumatized by a bad bean experience as a child. And I imagine if I were starving and had nothing to eat but beans I would eat them.

I just find them unappealing to eat. I don't think people who enjoy eating refried beans or baked beans are evil or bad or somehow deficient, but I don't want to eat beans. Additionally, I don't really like the smell of beans and watching someone plow into a plate of beans and eat them right next to me is not something I find pleasurable to look at or smell. I would NEVER presume to stop someone from eating beans in my presence...that's entirely on me. But, on the other hand, if I find bean eating unpleasurable to watch, it is my right to remove myself from the room where the bean eating is taking place. I don't think that would be an untoward response on my part.

Nobody is expecting you to go near beans or watch people eating them. Don’t flatter yourself.

However by making this analogy to the situation at hand, you’re saying you don’t like the people, you don’t want to be around the people (irrelevant to if they are eating at the time, which of course they aren’t). You don’t like the idea of those people existing and don’t want to come across them. That is what makes your reaction unpleasant and why people rightly call out people that try and justify that kind of prejudice. It doesn’t matter whether the bean eaters are trans, gay, black, Christian, female, disabled etc etc etc.

TheSword

Legend
Bean eating was not equating with sex. It was more with PDAs. For example, smooching. If two men want to smooch on a park bench, that's their right. I would never ask them to stop nor want anyone else to ask them to stop. But I would avert my eyes.; it's not pleasant for me to look at.

On the other hand, if a good-looking hetero couple or a good-looking lesbian couple were smooching on a park bench, I'd probably observe for a moment (not creepily stare, mind you) and enjoy the sight.

It's purely an aesthetic on my part and, as I said, it's my problem, not the couple's problem. But I shouldn't be condemned for that aesthetic, any more than I should be condemned for preferring red heads and brunettes over blondes, or long hair over short, or other physical characteristics that make up my aesthetic sensibilities.

Yeah this sounds much creepier than you probably intended it to.

devincutler

Explorer
Nobody is expecting you to go near beans or watch people eating them. Don’t flatter yourself.

However by making this analogy to the situation at hand, you’re saying you don’t like the people, you don’t want to be around the people (irrelevant to if they are eating at the time, which of course they aren’t). You don’t like the idea of those people existing and don’t want to come across them. That is what makes your reaction unpleasant and why people rightly call out people that try and justify that kind of prejudice. It doesn’t matter whether the bean eaters are trans, gay, black, Christian, female, disabled etc etc etc.

Not trying to flatter myself, but thanks for starting on a note of hostility.

I am NOT saying I don't like the people. For hell's sake, my WIFE likes beans, as do my kids. Are you actually saying I therefore do not like my wife and children because (and this is actually true, BTW) I don't like watching them eating beans or smelling beans? Are you suggesting that because my wife and kids eat beans every so often that I don't want them around when they are not eating beans?

What a ridiculous statement to make on your part!

That's like saying I like progressive rock but I don't like jazz. So therefore I don't like anyone who likes jazz.

It's literally inane.

TheSword

Legend
Not trying to flatter myself, but thanks for starting on a note of hostility.

I am NOT saying I don't like the people. For hell's sake, my WIFE likes beans, as do my kids. Are you actually saying I therefore do not like my wife and children because (and this is actually true, BTW) I don't like watching them eating beans or smelling beans? Are you suggesting that because my wife and kids eat beans every so often that I don't want them around when they are not eating beans?

What a ridiculous statement to make on your part!

That's like saying I like progressive rock but I don't like jazz. So therefore I don't like anyone who likes jazz.

It's literally inane.

The metaphor is pretty inane. Particularly in the context of a thread about whether a particular type of trans character as introduced by MToF should exist. Whether you want to witness something is irrelevant. If that isn’t what you are referring to, then I question what the point of bringing it up in this thread was.

Remove ads