• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will you pay $50.00 for the "standard" PHB?

Will you pay $50.00 for a "standard" PHB?

• Yes.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • No.

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 41 19.8%

Agamon

Adventurer
I find it really hard to believe this position is mirrored widely.

* 40 okay, 50 no (especially given that online retailers will offer discounts)
* unless it's big big big
* from someone who can afford to travel to GenCon and chooses to do so (even if you have to eat ramen)?

That seems like an awfully silly abnegation over ten bucks that you clearly have to spend.

I totally understand it. Why reward a company for overpricing their product? If the book is comparable to other $50 RPG books, then it's worth it. If they just jack up the price because they think they can, I wouldn't support that either.

However, I don't think WotC is so blind as to think everyone will come rushing to buy the new shiny if they artificially inflate the price of it. I think it will be comparable to the PF core book.

Mercurius

Legend
No offense to the OP, but this poll is essentially worthless because it doesn't differentiate between "No, not for $50 I won't - but for <$40 I would" and "No, Next sux and killed Real D&D."

caudor

Adventurer
Yep

Even at $50.00 it is a worthwhile investment for me. How many hours will I get out of the book? As many as I want! RPGs are generally cost-effective entertainment. Compare the book to the cost of a movie and popcorn and you'll see you are getting a lot for a little.

DM Howard

Explorer
Instant buy for me. I don't really need anything but the Player's Handbook to give my group a good game. That isn't to say I won't be buying the other core books as well, but I see a good value for my money with just the Player's Handbook.

JeffB

Legend
Nope.

My game, regardless of edition, are very much in the old school vein/tradition, ala OD&D/Holmes/Moldvay, Cook,Marsh. Basic four races, and basic four classes. Heros of the Fallen Lands was perfect for my 4e games!

At 50 bucks for just one book filled with much material I have no need for, no way. At thereduced Amazon price, maybe. I just invested in 13th Age, and got a whole game with plenty of material for my needs. 13th age cost me 35 bucks, taxed and shipped. That makes it really hard for me to swallow the 5e pill of roughly $120 smackers at discount.

Keep in mind, D&D is not my main hobby, and I have 2 children, wife, home, money is tight.any purchase of $50 that is not a necessity,is heavily scrutinized/questioned.

Wulfgar76

First Post
I don't think this poll is going the way Forever Slayer hoped it would.

$50 is the price of an RPG Core Rulebook in 2014. You can whine that others contain the GM-info if you like, but that is the economic reality of it.
Sorry but WotC is not some sort of non-profit charity, they want to sell books and make money like any business.

If that extra $10 over what the book "should" cost fills you with indignation the solution is real simple - don't buy it.

Incenjucar

Legend
The price seems to be more than is defensible unless the book is friggin huge and certainly more than is reasonable for attracting new DMs to the game. It's likely their attempt to put the "Everyone buys the core books and then most stop" thing into overdrive to pick up as much money as they can now with the understanding that it will be the last they see from a lot of people.

The Iron Kingdoms RPG book is absolutely massive, gorgeous, and about $42.

Also, a lot of people do NOT buy $50-60 dollar games anymore, given Humble Bundle and Steam and Game of the Year Editions and whatnot.

My 100-something video game collection was cheaper than my 2E collection, cost of hardware aside, without even adjusting for inflation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads