• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Win pdf books!) Now closed (except for some book-keeping)

Balgus

First Post
The rogue is special...

My DM was running a homebrew and the party was raiding a barracks. I was the Barb with 8 int and patience to match. The barracks had like 4 floors and twists and stairs and the works. After checking for traps at like a thousand doors, the rogue was feeling tired.

We got to a door that looked like all the rest. I convinced the rogue to let me bash this door down- considering I have seen about as much action as yesterday's laundry.

I took a running start and slammed into the door but the str wasn't enough to break it down- but did manage to set off the alarm trigger. I backed up again to charge in one more time, but by then the rogue had opened the door. Six mages were waiting inside the door with actions ready.

In one round, I was reduced to a smoldering pile of ashes.

From then on, we refered to that encounter as the 12 days of dungeoning. On the next level of the dungeon, My Dm gave to me: five magic missiles, four fireballs, three ray of frosts, two lightning bolts, and an evil laughing bad guy...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
From an OOOOOlllld 1Ed/2Ed High-level campaign:

I was running a Human Priestess of Tyr, a Dual-classed Ftr12/Cleric15 who had been the beneficiary of an inordinate number of Natural 20's over her career...which was a blast since she had a Vorpal Sword and a Mace of Disruption. The party was in the campaign's equivalent to Ravenloft when they encountered a group of powerful undead...A lich, a Deathnknight, and several Skeletal Warriors among them.

The PC jumped into action, the Priestess choosing the Lich as her target, using her Mace of Disruption, of course. The very first combat roll was a natural 20. The DM ruled that since the adventure took place in a plane dedicated to evil, there was only a 1% chance the disruption effect would work.

He rolled: 1%.

He then rolled for the Lich's saving throw (80% chance normally, with a +10% bonus because of the plane's evil nature). It failed.

Having just vanquished a lich with one blow on a plane devoted to evil, I asked the DM what the odds were that Tyr noticed such an awesome deed.

He said 1%. He rolled 1%.

Feeling it, I seized the moment..."What are the odds Tyr will personally grant me some great boon because of this feat?"

He said 1%. He rolled 1%.

He shouted "Damn!" and threw his hands in the air...Tyr appeared in a column of light, granted the Priestess +1 level of Fighter and a Bless spell, and then dissapeared. It was just enough to get her to 2 attacks per round- just what she needed!

Templetroll

Explorer
memorable scene

An LG cleric was magically framed for a crime - there was a war between two countries, the one he was from and the one just north of it. The enemy country accused him of spying and wanted to try him and execute him. His own country accused him of treason and collaborating with the enemy, they wanted to try him and execute him. Knowing that his own land was ruled by a roguish sort and the country to the north was ruled by a theocracy of the same faith as his the cleric felt he had a better chance of seeing a trial before being executed in the land to the north so he scrammed across the border and surrendered to them. The king called upon a known acquaintance of the cleric, a bard of great power (1e) to retrieve the cleric.

The bard learned that the cleric was being held in a cell at the top of a tower. He took his Figurine of the Obsidian Steed and rode etherially to the tower in the middle of the night. The cleric was there, manacled and asleep. The bard gazed down upon his former companion and realized that if he woke him the cleric would call for the guard. He decided the least troublesome way to handle it would be to murder the cleric while he slept. The bard drew his shortsword and slit the cleric's throat....

It was at this point that I asked the player to roll a d20. The player disputed this, arguing that neither of us liked having to roll to hit a sleeping person. I told him to just roll. he did, then triumphantly exclaimed, "There, a 20! satisfied?"

... and the cleric's head rolls off the bed and onto the floor.

Since the player actually looked at his own hand at this point,..... The bard gazed at the shortsword he held, the vorpal blade he held and then he sighed. Thinking, 'Well, they need to resurrect him now anyway so no worries about unlocking the shackles.' and he chopped off the cleric's hands and feet and stuff the bloody mess into several cloth bags.

He loaded it all on the horse, mounted up and entered the etherial plane again, riding for home. Suddenly a large figure loomed in the mist, some manner of fiend staring at him. The bard paused, waiting to see what the thing would do first and shocked when it raised a hand saluted him, then went away. The hidden faced warrior with bloodied sacks on the back of black horse travelling the etherial was obviously on important business and not to be trifled with!

Interested in Four Color To Fantasy (Revised) :)

Einan wins for being BADD. -- What do you want to receive?

Kristivas wins for being a lover and a fighter. -- I'll send out the Adventurer's Guild book later today.

Dannyalcatraz wins for being the best liar of this group. -- What do you want to receive?

Alzrius wins for having the best Knights of the Dinner Table-esque story. -- I'll send out Gun-Fu later today.

Thanks everyone for participating. I hope I gave folks an interest in checking out the EN World GameStore, and that everyone enjoyed the discussions here. Hope everyone in the US has a happy Thanksgiving, and that you think of the GameStore when you're looking for stuff to buy this Friday. *grin*

Einan

First Post
Hoo-ray!

I'd love a copy of Elements of Magic Revised or Lycaneum Arcana. I've got Mythic Earth in heavy use right now and my players love it.

Thanks for the prize!
Einan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Great contest! The stories were a hoot!

Well, I'm glad I won...but I'm a lawyer not a liar! (Hmmm....not exactly strengthening my case, am I?)

I still game with 2 of the guys who participated in that sequence, and I still have that PC- Axa Azura of Tyr. Come visit me in Texas and I'll show you the sheet and introduce you around!

I was debating between that story and its evil twin...the time I had a 2Ed 19 Con Dwarf Fighter who failed both his poison & magic saves vs Stinking Cloud, then (gagging and puking) failed his saves vs Polymorph other, then failed his system shock roll, thus dying in 2 rounds of having spells cast at him. (The subsequent fireball launched into the area incinerated him...I rolled the saves anyway- just to see- and failed those as well.) The other PCs scooped up his ashes and use them as spell components...

I just figured the incredible success was more entertaining than the incredible failure.

Anyway, Mechamancy appeals to me. If that's outside of the scope of the contest awards, how about Tiny Terrors?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads