• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Windtreader Engineer, Pt. 1 (background)

ivocaliban

First Post
Not long after D&D 3.0 hit the stands I started a campaign set in a heavily modified version of Greyhawk. At the request of my players I had to find a way to introduce airships to the campaign. My only experience with using airships in an RPG came from the '93 D&D boxed set Champions of Mystara, but that had long since left my possession and, for the most part, my memory.

The one thing I wanted to avoid with airships was the idea of making them commonplace. If they were going to exist they would come from the time before the war which destroyed the Suel and Baklunish nations west of the Flanaess. In fact, the devices even went some way towards triggering the Great Cataclysm. In this alternate Greyhawk, a group of individuals living on the Suel/Baklunish border set about to create three flying ships for the essential purpose of escaping east over the mountains. The group included Baklunish and Suel refugees along with a small group of Dwarven and Gnomish craftsmen and one historically significant elven mystic. Together they created the devices known as windtreaders, flying ships powered by meticulously-carved gemstones.

The idea was simply to allow those who wanted no part in the growing hostilities of the Baklunish and Suel a way to escape the death and destruction which seemed otherwise unavoidable. However, one young Suel, trained to be captain of one of the vessels was so enraged that his own people were the cause of the troubles (again, this is how things occurred in my version of Greyhawk, that the Suel were attempting to absorb the Baklunish lands and wipe out the Baklunish people), that he felt the windtreaders should be used to aid the Baklunish. The elven mystic in charge explained that in order for this to work properly that all involved must remain neutral in the war and that if the Suel held other beliefs then he should leave immediately. That night the Suel did just that, but he took one of the ships with him along with a number of crew members who agreed with him.

Unfortunately, the Suel had recently discovered the secret enclave, but they were uncertain as to what (and who) the ships were being constructed for. As none of the Suel had any knowledge of those involved, they assumed the windtreaders to be weapons of the Baklunish. So, the Suel had gathered together a sizeable force to march north and seize the vessels for themselves. When the brash young pilot lifted his windtreader into the sky, the Suel forces believed they had been discovered and were about to come under attack.

Obviously, the war between the Suel and the Baklunish had gone on for sometime now. The Suel had a contingency plan, of course. Having suspected that the Baklunish might have more of these flying ships being built further north, they called forth the Invoked Devastation which utterly obliterated the Baklunish lands. With the exception of what happened to the windtreaders and those responsible for their construction, the rest of Greyhawk's history remains pretty much unchanged.

As for what happened to the three windtreaders and their crews? The young pilot hoping to do a good deed had certainly spotted the oncoming Suel forces and, despite his recent "theft" of the ship, attempted to signal the others below. He realized at that moment that he had bitten off more than he could chew, and, while he had no way of knowing his ascent would soon trigger the very thing which the windtreader engineers had hoped to avoid by building the flying ships in the first place, he knew he must help those below.

After a brief communication with the elf below, who did not seem surprised or upset at the young human's actions, they managed to work together in order to escape the oncoming Suel. All of the vessels were damaged by magic hurled from the earth below, but they slipped over the mountains by the break of day, just as the Invoked Devastation came down on the northern lands of the Baklunish. Soon after the Baklunish would respond with a counter-assault known as The Rain of Colourless Fire. The west was a wasteland.

The elf then decided that the three vessels must go their separate ways and that, once the crew of each windtreader found a suitable home, the ships would be hidden away. He had reasoned that they sighting of the windtreader was probably the catalyst for the Suel's magical assault, but he was also quite convinced that it could not have been avoided, merely prolonged.

Each windtreader then went in a different direction. One, captained by a Baklunish man, sailed far into the east, ending up in what would someday be The Great Kingdom. Second, still lead by the young Suel, remained in the west, disheartened by all that had come about. Third, the greatest ship of all captained by the mysterious elf which lead the party went north, ending up on an island in the Nyr Dyv. In time, the windtreaders, like much of what happened in the west, was forgotten.

Although legends persisted and many sought them out, nearly a thousand years went by before the windtreaders resurfaced. But, while a thousand years is a long time indeed for Man, it is only a few generations for other races. And, in a few families the knowledge of the windtreaders has been passed down from parent to child in a form far more solid than mere myth...

Wow, that was a mouthful, but I felt it was necessary for the second part of this thread which will be the actual Windtreader Engineer Prestige Class I've been working on for the past few (sad to say) years. I've been DMing for a long while, but creating PrCs has never been something I've attempted with this one exception. With so many to chose from it's hard to justify creating more prestige classes, at times, but this one is absolutely necessary for my campaign. Unfortunately, you'll get to see the many problems I've run into during it's creation. I'll give more details in Part 2. Thanks for hanging in there if you managed to read through all of this!

Last edited:

ivocaliban

First Post
Windtreader Engineer, Pt. 2 (PrC)

What follows is the all-too-complicated Prestige Class called the Windtreader Engineer. I need serious help on certain parts of it, as is fairly obvious. First off, the entire spell system (spells require for creating the Power Stones which gives the windtreaders fuel) seems quite lame to me, but I see this as one of those very rare prestige classes that develops from one creative mind who takes a puzzle missing several pieces and makes it work, regardless. In my campaign there are no more than a dozen individuals with the Windtreader Engineer prestige class. They are generally NPCs, but very important ones when the campaign revolves around flying ships.

I'm generally a story-first, rules second sort of DM. The sort of DM that gives Rules Lawyers aneurysms. While this works great in sessions, it doesn't do much for me behind the scenes, so to speak. I've never understood the complex math which goes into designing high-level magical items and so the Craft Power Stone and Craft Windtreader abilties gained at level 6 and 10, respectively, are somewhat empty except for descriptions. I did attempt more with Craft Power Stone, but...even that seems somehow haphazard. Either way, these are class abilities and not feats available to anyone...which makes the whole thing more confusing. Still, I wanted to limit the possibility of these things becoming commonplace.

Also, I didn't include the Coax Arcane Engine chart showing how much damage the Windtreader Engineer takes and the DC of each Concentration check required afterwards, but I do have it on hand if anyone really wants to see it. Last, but not least, I've yet to finish up on Improve Windtreader any help there will also be helpful. Basically, the idea is that you could add various gadgets and gizmos, increase speed, decrease Power Stone consumption...etc.

Whew...I don't envy you folks. It's a mess in there. ;) At least, I know what I want everything do though, and for an NPC I've managed to fudge the rest. Even so, I'd like to see a more solid class develop from this mess. Thanks in advance for your time and patience!

WINDTREADER ENGINEER

Only a rare few know the secrets of the windtreaders, ancient flying ships powered by arcane-charged gemstones. Those who know the advantages a windtreader provides soon realize how necessary a skilled engineer is in maintaining the archaic devices. A windtreader engineer knows his vessel inside and out, often developing a very personal attachment to his charge.​
In most cases, the engineer becomes very protective of the windtreader and for good reason—the loss of such a vessel can cause physical harm to the engineers who have become so close to their most prized possessions. While individuals who follow this path are seldom the captains or the owners of the vehicle in question, they often view it as their own on a much deeper level. This sometimes leads them to be contentious in regards to those who are their superiors, especially when it involves putting the windtreader in danger.​
Windtreader engineers are most often wizards or sorcerers, though bards are surprisingly common, as well. While wizards have the advantage in regard to available spells, the bard’s wide variety of skills, intuitive spellcasting, and love for travel often make them ideal for life aboard a windtreader. Wizards or sorcerers who chose the path of a Windtreader engineer often multi-class as Experts or Rogues in order to be more comfortable as an active part of the crew aboard ship. Dwarves and Gnomes are also well-suited to be windtreader engineers due to their robust Constitutions, technical aptitude, and natural habitats (as windtreader engineering rooms tend to be crowded, compact, and deep within the bowls of the ship).​
While the sacrifices a windtreader engineer must make are notable, the exceptional relationship formed between an engineer and his ship is often well worth the trouble. Master engineers are the only individuals capable of reintroducing the windtreaders to the world by creating and powering these arcane wonders from scratch. Furthermore, they are highly skilled pushing windtreaders to their fullest potential, allowing them to perform above and beyond any captain’s wildest dreams.​
Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a windtreader engineer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.​
Skills: Concentration 8, Craft (gemcutting) 5 ranks, Craft (shipwright) 5 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (engineering) 8 ranks.​
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus: Knowledge (arcana)
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells, which must include Feather Fall, Cat’s Grace, and Haste.* Note: While these spells are the only ones required to become a windtreader engineer, in order to use Coax Arcane Engine (Cloak) and Coax Arcane Engine (Doppleganger Effect) the windtreader engineer must learn the spells Greater Invisibility and Mislead.​
Special: The character must serve or have served aboard a windtreader for at least a year and be initially trained by another windtreader engineer.​

Class Skills
The windtreader engineer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.​

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the windtreader prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Windtreader engineers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.​
Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new windtreader engineer level is gained the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a windtreader engineer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.​
Basic Engineering: At 1st level windtreader engineers have learned the basic mechanics of the arcane engines which power airships. Basic Engineering allows them to make the arcane engine function for simple maneuvers such as take off, land, ascend, descend, accelerate, decelerate, strafe, and turn. They are aware of how much strain each of these actions place on the power stones which fuel the arcane engines and know how to keep all basic functions of the arcane engine under control. However, these abilities do have their limits. Windtreader engineers with Basic Engineering are incapable of making the windtreader perform “stunts” and are unable to repair a windtreader that has suffered more than 75% of its total hull points in damage or one that is completely inoperative. A Knowledge (Engineering) check (DC 15) provides the energy necessary for the windtreader to perform the simple maneuver. From there on it is up to the windtreader’s captain and crew to get the desired result.​
Coax Arcane Engine: A windtreader engineer learns the various processes necessary to coax extraordinary performance from the arcane engines which power the windtreader vessels. As the windtreader engineer gains levels, he/she develops a deeper connection to the ebb and flow of the energies emanating from the arcane engines, allowing for both increased precision and more dynamic results when using this ability.​
It should be kept in mind that pressing an arcane engine beyond its original design can be both physical draining to the windtreader engineer and potentially dangerous to the windtreader and all those aboard ship. Each time a Coax Arcane Engine attempt is made the windtreader engineer suffers physical damage and must make an immediate Concentration check to determine how much control the windtreader engineer has over the arcane engine after coaxing it beyond its normal function. A failure can result in the windtreader engineer suffering more damage than normal and can cause an arcane engine mishap. (See table 1-2: Arcane Engine Mishaps for more details.)​
As the windtreader engineer gains levels, he/she becomes more adept at getting the desired result from an arcane engine. After having a new Coax Arcane Engine ability for two levels, the windtreader engineer has learned more efficient and less taxing ways to use that particular function. For instance, beginning with the 3rd level windtreader engineers subtract 5 points from the amount of damage they receive when using Coax Arcane Engine: Sudden Lift. Upon reaching 4th level the damage is reduced by 10 points, until finally at 5th level and beyond windtreader engineers receive no damage from using this ability.​
Master windtreader engineers are often familiar enough with arcane engines to assure no harm will come to the crew or the windtreader itself, but will always suffer damage from the more exerting powers resulting from the use of Coax Arcane Engine. Windtreader Engineers must be within 5ft. of the arcane engine to use this ability and can activate it a number of times per day equal to their class level.​
Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Lift): At 1st level Neophyte windtreader engineers learn the first method of coaxing more out of the arcane engine than is normally expected of such a device. This, the simplest and least dangerous method, allows the windtreader a Sudden Lift in flight. Activating this ability requires that the windtreader engineer has Feather Fall prepared or has spell slots available allowing him/her to cast this spell. When cast the engine transforms the spell’s energy into a quick, vertical lift of 25ft. per class level (maximum of 250ft.) for the entire vessel. Using Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Lift) is a free action.​
Example: A Neophyte windtreader engineer using Coax Arcane Engine: Sudden Lift suffers 15 points of damage and must immediately make a Concentration check (DC 10 + spell level + damage taken; DC 26). A failure of 4 or less doubles the damage suffered by the windtreader engineer. A failure of 5 or more results in the arcane engineer receiving double damage and creates a situation wherein an arcane engine mishap might occur. For each point a windtreader engineer fails the Concentration check there is a 5% chance of an arcane engine mishap. (See table 1-2: Arcane Engine Mishaps for more details.)​
Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Turn): At 3rd level Apprentice windtreader engineers learn the second method of coaxing more out of the arcane engine than is normally expected of such a device. Sudden Turn allows a windtreader extreme maneuverability, letting it turn with both speed and grace. Activating this ability requires that the windtreader engineer has Cat’s Grace prepared or has spell slots available allowing him/her to cast this spell. When cast the engine transforms the spell’s energy into an almost instantaneous 180 degree turn for the windtreader vessel. Using Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Turn) is a standard action.​
Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Speed): At 5th level Journeyman windtreader engineers learn the third method of coaxing more out of the arcane engine than is normally expected of such a device. Sudden Speed allows a windtreader to move much at a much faster rate of speed for a brief period of time. Activating this ability requires that the windtreader engineer has Haste prepared or has spells slots available allowing him/her to cast this spell. When cast the engine transforms the spell’s energy into a sudden burst of speed allowing the windtreader to move at double its fastest movement rate for a number of rounds equal to the spellcaster’s level. Using Coax Arcane Engine (Sudden Speed) is a standard action.​
Coax Arcane Engine (Cloak): At 7th level Artificer windtreader engineers learn a powerful new method of coaxing more out of the arcane engine than is normally expected of such a device. Cloak essentially allows a windtreader to turn invisible for a short period of time. Activating this ability requires that the windtreader engineer has Greater Invisibility prepared or has spell slots available allowing him/her to cast this spell. When cast the engine transforms the spell’s energy into a cloak of invisibility for the entire windtreader vessel and its crew. This ability functions like Greater Invisibility, except that the subject is the windtreader and everything aboard ship. Anyone or anything which leaves the windtreader immediately becomes visible. Coax Arcane Engine: Cloak lasts for a number of founds equal to the spellcaster’s level. Using Coax Arcane Engine (Cloak) is a standard action.​
Coax Arcane Engine (Doppelganger Effect): At 9th level Master windtreader engineers learn the final and most impressive method of Coax Arcane Engine. Doppelganger Effect causes the windtreader to turn invisible (just as Coax Arcane Engine: Cloak), but also creates an illusory double of the windtreader to fool one’s enemies. Activating this ability requires that the windtreader engineer has Mislead prepared or has spell slots available allowing him/her to cast this spell. When cast the effects mirror that of Coax Arcane Engine: Cloak with one subtle difference: a windtreader doppelganger (as major image, a figment) appears. This ability functions as the spell Mislead with the following exceptions: Coax Arcane Engine: Doppleganger Effect has Range: Long (400ft. + 40ft./2 levels) and Target/Effect: Windtreader/one illusory double. Using Coax Arcane Engine (Doppelganger Effect) is a standard action.​
Link Power Stone: At 2nd level, Neophytes gain enough knowledge in the maintenance of arcane engines to replace the gems which power the devices. This involves safely removing the drained power stone from the device, fixing the new power stone in its place, and making all the necessary adjustments to allow the vessel to fly once again. Anyone other than a windtreader engineer with Arcane Engineering: Link Power Stone who attempts this procedure has a 25% chance of causing an arcane engine mishap. Linking a power stone to an arcane engine requires a Knowledge (arcana) check (DC 25) or a Use Magic Device check (DC 25). Anyone who fails this check has a 5% chance per point of failure to cause an arcane engine mishap.​
Example: Greely, a Wizard 5/Windtreader Engineer 2 has Knowledge (arcane) 17 [10 ranks + 3 from Skill Focus: Knowledge (arcane) + 4 Intelligence 18 = 17]. While attempting to link a power stone to the arcane engine of a windtreader he rolls a d20 and adds his Knowledge (arcane) rating of 17 to the result. His result is a 6 giving him a total of 23 for his skill check. The DC for Link Power Stone is 25, so failing by 2 points gives Greely a 10% chance of causing an arcane engine mishap (2 x 5% = 10%).​
Repair Arcane Engine: At 4th level, Apprentices with at least 8 ranks in Craft (shipwright) have learned enough regarding the maintenance of windtreader engines to be able to make minor repairs to these devices if necessary. This involves making technical adjustments, replacing worn parts, patching up damaged areas, and any other simple repairs that are necessary. Anyone other than a windtreader engineer with Arcane Engineering: Repair Arcane Engine who attempts this procedure has a 50% chance of causing an arcane engine mishap.​
A windtreader engineer attempting to repair an arcane engine must make a Craft (shipwright) check with the following DC ratings:​

Making technical adjustments 15
Patching damaged areas 20
Replacing worn parts 25​

The DC for repairing an arcane engine also depends on a number of different variants:​
Windtreader is in flight +5
Windtreader is in combat +10
Windtreader is docked -5
Windtreader engineer has Advanced Engineering *​
*See Advanced Engineering below for details.​

Anyone who fails a Craft (shipwright) check while attempting to repair an arcane engine has a 5% chance per point of failure to cause an arcane engine mishap.​
Craft Power Stone: At 6th level Journeymen windtreader engineers with at least 10 ranks in Craft (Gemcutting) and 10 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) have learned the art of crafting power stones, the source of fuel for the windtreader’s arcane engines.​
The procedure involved in Craft Power Stone begins with selecting an uncut jacinth with a minimum value of 5,000gp. A windtreader engineer should have the proper tools and equipment required for gem cutting and a comfortable, steady work place. Few windtreader engineers like crafting power stones while the windtreader is in flight due to the motion of the vessel. Gem cutting is always very precise and careful work and attempting to carve a power stone requires even more stability and certainty.​
While power stones are of great value to anyone in possession of an arcane engine, they are otherwise merely lovely and rather expensive works of art. Certain spells are required by those crafting power stones, but the true magic of the stones comes from an infusion of arcane energy created by the patterns and designs of the crafter. Craft Power Stone has a DC of 25 and requires Craft (Gemcutting). While crafting a power stone the windtreader engineer does not have access to the spells required for its creation.​
Moderate transmutation and illusion; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Power Stone, feather fall, cat’s grace, haste, greater invisibility, mislead; Price 50,000gp.​
Advanced Engineering: Upon reaching the rank of Artificer (7th level), windtreader engineers have become far more skilled in working with the arcane engines that power windtreaders. In addition to the simple maneuvers windtreader engineers are already familiar with, Advanced Engineering allows the following complex maneuvers: dead fall, dive, climb, roll, and strafe. A successful Knowledge (engineering) check (DC 25) provides the energy necessary for the windtreader to perform the complex maneuver. From there on it is up to the windtreader’s captain and crew to get the desired result.​
Furthermore, windtreader engineers with Advanced Engineering are far more capable of making arcane engine repairs. A Knowledge (engineering) check (DC 20) is allowed before attempting their Craft (shipwright) check. For every point over the DC the windtreader engineer receives that same number as a bonus to her next Craft (shipwright) check for repairing the arcane engine. Failing this roll has no negative result.​
Improve Windtreader: At 8th level an Artificer windtreader engineer with at least 12 ranks in Craft (shipwright), 12 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), and 12 ranks in Knowledge (engineering) is able to make various adjustments to improve and expand the abilities of the windtreader and its arcane engine.​
Sympathetic Bond: Upon reaching the level of Master windtreader engineer (9th level), the character has formed such a tight bond with the windtreader upon which he serves that he is essentially connected to the ship on a metaphysical level. This supernatural connection allows the windtreader engineer to sense things that affect the airship itself. Everything from a fire in the captain’s quarters to a loose plank on deck can be “felt” by the windtreader engineer.​
This allows a windtreader engineer to function at an almost precognizant level regarding ship repairs, engine strain, and so forth. Essentially, if there’s a physical threat to the ship or anything which might be or soon become a hazard to the windtreader, the windtreader engineer instinctively knows both the degree and location of the trouble. Furthermore, Sympathetic Bond gives Master arcane engineers a +2 to all skill checks and saving throws as long as they are aboard “their” ship.​
Master windtreader engineers also gain the spell Shield Other as a supernatural ability, with the exception that it can only be cast on the windtreader with which the windtreader engineer shares the Sympathetic Bond. This feature of Sympathetic Bond can be activated once per day and lasts 1 hour per class level or until dismissed by the windtreader engineer.​
Each time the windtreader with which the windtreader engineer shares a Sympathetic Bond suffers at least 25% of its total hull points in damage the windtreader engineer must make a Fortitude saving throw DC 15. Failure indicates that the windtreader engineer suffers a loss of 25% of his total hit points. When the ship suffers 50% and 75% this process continues, the windtreader engineer losing an amount equivalent to the ship’s damage. Success means the windtreader engineer avoids damage altogether.​
If a windtreader with which a windtreader engineer has a Sympathetic Bond is ever destroyed (and the windtreader engineer manages to survives the event), he must make a Fortitude saving throw DC 15. Failure of this roll indicates an instantaneous death for the windtreader engineer. Success equates in a loss of 200xp per windtreader engineer level, a permanent 1 point Constitution loss, and the windtreader engineer is immediately reduced to 0 hit points.​
Craft Windtreader: At 10th level Master windtreader engineers with at least 15 ranks in Craft (shipwright), 15 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), and 15 ranks in Knowledge (engineering) is able to build a functioning windtreader with an arcane engine assuming he has access to available materials and a suitable workshop.​

**Tables don't work here very well so I'll just say that the ten level progression functions basically like that of a Wizard in terms of BAB, Saving Throws, and Spell Progression.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads