• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winter Fantasy 2016 DD Experience Impressions from Track C

Inconnunom

Explorer
Posted this on the facebook group but I'm posting here for posterity sake.

Some awesome adventures happened at Winter Fantasy. I played an arrogant/oblivious Arcana Cleric named Herlock. I'm not sure I've ever had such intense fun at a con. The epic was was an adrenline rush as players darted between tables, passing out boons and updating locations with mission control.

The Author Only adventures through the DDeXperience were fantastic. I had participated in three. Bill Benham was intense with his enthusiam and accents. His quick thinking helped to keep the final encounter climatic and exciting. Robert Adducci 's adventure was unconventional and challenging. It was filled with unknown and mystical creatures and baddies that were suited against our party. Christopher Lindsay's adventure had an immense sense of scale and history that felt like the beginning of an entire campaign.The unexpected ending had us hating the villain and dodging debris.

DDEX 4-1 was a great kick off to Season 4 as my PTSD Halfling Paladin and his cultist druid compatriot from kara-tur get lost stumbling around in the mists.

With all the whirlwind of changes that have been sweeping through AL, this last weekend has left me excited about future of AL and Cons.

PS. Thumbs up for flying goat distractions.

Kroad

First Post
Indeed comrade Herlock it was a great time. I'd echo the compliments on the scenarios and throw a shout out to a fun group of players. I'd go so far as to say "There was magic there".

Your lazy brother in arms and ale,

Aarys

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Sounds like people had a good time!. WF Definetly seems like the place to be. although to be honest Im far more interested with how Suits of the Mists ran than the epic :)

NeverLucky

First Post
Sounds like people had a good time!. WF Definetly seems like the place to be. although to be honest Im far more interested with how Suits of the Mists ran than the epic :)
It was alright, but to be honest, the story was somewhat contrived and not all that interesting. The vast majority of the adventure takes place on Faerun, and it played very similarly to Harried in Hillsfar, though a bit darker and a bit more coherent. Harried in Hillsfar has more variety in its scenarios, and the mini-adventures of 4-1 started feeling very similar and predictable after a while. Not saying it's a bad adventure, but in my opinion it's nothing special compared to existing fare.

Inconnunom

Explorer
Comparing to some of the other starter scenarios, I enjoyed it a bit more. But I may be biased because I like the horror and gothic setting. Our DM did a great job and describing the mists and how we were sucked into Barovia at the end.

Granted we are talking about the quick 1 hour adventures, not comparing it to 4 hour complex adventures. They are not very substantial due to length and are generally meant as beginner material. With that in mind, I think it succeeds.

Remove ads