• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WinXP and Vista Dual boot questions

Blue Sky

Explorer
So I'm wanting to tinker around with the Vista beta. I'm wanting to install it as a dual boot, so I can choose which one to log into each time I turn on the PC.

Right now I have one hard drive, that has two partitions. C is 10 gigs, with about 2 free, that I keep my WinXP installation on. D is 150 gigs, with about 45 free, that I keep everything else on.

Now here come the torrents of questions.

Is it possible for me to "break" off part of D to create a new partition?

If so, how?

Would I be able to add it back in if I decide I don't want it any more?

If I just install Vista onto my D drive, would it erase all my other files?

If I just install Vista onto my D drive, could I just delete it off if I decide I don't want to mess with it, or is there a series of steps I'd have to take.

How do I set up the "dual boot" feature?

I have an Athlon 64 bit processor. I've heard that Vista supports 64 bit processing "out of the box", so to speak. Is that true?

Is there a special Vista I'd need to get?

Would I be able to access all my programs from both installations?

If a tree falls in a forest, and there's no one around to hear it, and it lands on a mime, does the mime make a sound?

Thanks for all the incoming help!

You'd need a program that can do dynamic disk-repartitioning. I've been using PartitionMagic for years, so while I'm sure there is a freeware alternative out, I've never had need to look for one. In any event, with such a piece of software, you could shrink your D: partition down to free up several gigs for Vista and then install into that empty space. Should you get tired of the beta, you can use the same software to remove the Vista partition and add the space back to D:. Note that disk repartitioning is an inherently scary thing, and that you could conceivably screw up and destroy both your computer and life as you know it. Back up important stuff before messing with it.

When you install the beta, it will automatically create a second entry in the boot table, allowing you to select which OS you want to start.

With Beta 2, there are 32- and 64- bit versions. At least through MSDN, you have to download them seperately (at ~3.2 GB each) and burn it to DVD to install. You also used to be able to run the install from Windows if you have DaemonTools or some other program that could mount the ISO image without having to burn a DVD.

You'd be able to see your other partitions from Vista, but you'd have to re-install programs you wanted to share, as the new Vista install wouldn't have gotten the right DLLs, registry entries, etc., that take place when you installed on XP. Some simpler programs would probably work ok without re-installing (assuming they worked under Vista at all).

ssampier

First Post
The last poster was correct; PartitionMagic is (was?) the most common tool for the job. Since Symantec purchased the company I have heard that less than... glowing reviews.

I personally would get a second hard drive (ebay, family, etc). It doesn't need to be very large, but then you won't have to worry about messing up your primary disk. I'm not familiar with Vista, but it should be able to recongnize both OSes, letting you select either Windows at startup.

IronWolf

blank
You can use QTParted an open source tool that can resize partions for you. It is included in Knoppix, a live Linux CD that includes QTParted.

I have used QTParted to resize Windows partitions many times. I have never had any issue with it. Despite that you should always backup any important data you have before resizing a partion, regardless of whether you use QTParted or Partition Magic.

Remove ads