Wireless Network Help!

Fenris

Adventurer
Hi All,
You all helped get my network set up in the first place for which thanks again.

But I wanted to add another computer, our old desktop, that the kids now use. So i went and bought a wirless card and got it installed, ran the wizard, turned on broadcasting on the network so the new computer could see the network and gave the network the MAC address. So far so good.

It took a bit but the new computer finally picked up the available networks. I select mine and since it's WEP it asked for a network key. No problem, did this with both laptops, no sweat. Well I put in the network key and I get a network connection error.

"The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"

This network key worked for the other two, what's going on now?

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Can't you use WPA or WPA2? WEP isn't very good, really. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Indeed, that was the problem. I had the network set to WPA, but the new card only supports WEP. :\

How much security am I losing by switching from WPA to WEP? I have it set to not broadcast, and only recognize the three MAC addresses of my computers.

Artik2

First Post
Fenris said:
Indeed, that was the problem. I had the network set to WPA, but the new card only supports WEP. :\

How much security am I losing by switching from WPA to WEP? I have it set to not broadcast, and only recognize the three MAC addresses of my computers.
Is there a way to use both?

DethStryke

Explorer
Fenris said:
But I wanted to add another computer, our old desktop, that the kids now use. So i went and bought a wirless card and got it installed, ran the wizard, turned on broadcasting on the network so the new computer could see the network and gave the network the MAC address. So far so good.

It took a bit but the new computer finally picked up the available networks. I select mine and since it's WEP it asked for a network key. No problem, did this with both laptops, no sweat. Well I put in the network key and I get a network connection error.

"The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"

This network key worked for the other two, what's going on now?

Without knowing what model Router & Card you're trying to connect, it *sounds* like you're mixing the key with a passphrase. Here's a quick rundown that should better explain the difference so you know what you're looking at.

A WEP Key -either WEP64bit (10 Hex. Char.) or WEP128bit (26 Hex. Char.). This will be a combination of letters and numbers, seemingly random. If you must use WEP, use 128. Without getting into too much more detail, WEP is easy to break if someone is actively scanning for networks local to you and you have a fair amount of traffic (surfing the web, streaming music, etc.) The goal is to capture packages from the transmission and piece together your code. For most home users, especially if you have stand-alone houses with space between you and your neighbors, you can get away with WEP128 & MAC filtering and be 99% sure no one is gonna bother you. I wouldn't bet that in an apartment though.

WEP Passphrase (that term can differ depending on company) is a password that you select - can be anything and up to 65 characters long - which the system then randomly generates 4 keys from. By Default it uses the 1st key. Some systems allow you to decide which of the 4 keys you're using though. Not all companies use passphrases, so if your router does, then you have to look on the wireless security page for the keys (may be greyed out so you can change them from relation to the passphrase, but you can still see it to write it down). If you're using 128, you should have a string of 26 random numbers & letters.

Fenris said:

WPA is a superior security packet structure and algorithm to WEP. The way WEP makes the little packets it sends over the network connection is what makes it so insecure... part of it is unencrypted - just enough that if you have a bunch of the packets, you can trial and error through the code through comparison. If you are in an apartment or heavy traffic area (cafes and public places nearby to you), then I would absolutely replace the card with one that can do WPA. I use WPA-PSK (WPA Pre-Shared Key; I've also seen it called WPA-Personal), which is what the 5 / 13 code is from. Like I said, you should be on the look-out for a 26 digit code.

Rackhir

Explorer
One other suggestion, make sure to turn off the "Broadcast Network ID" option. Basically the option where it broadcasts the name of the network. Given the plethora of networks in most areas, not having it showing up when people are looking for a wireless network will stop anyone who isn't technically sophisticated.

DethStryke

Explorer
Rackhir said:
One other suggestion, make sure to turn off the "Broadcast Network ID" option. Basically the option where it broadcasts the name of the network. Given the plethora of networks in most areas, not having it showing up when people are looking for a wireless network will stop anyone who isn't technically sophisticated.

Yes indeed! You reminded me of another easy tip... change the default name of the SSID while you're at it! You can type in the name manually or other people who have linksys as their connection will find it, for instance. Even if the SSID is not broadcast, it will respond to a connection with the right name!

Network ID = SSID

I hate when so many companies just name specific items their own thing. :(

Thanee

First Post
Fenris said:

Does the card('s manual) actually say it does not support WPA, or is the option not available when you set it up?

Does the machine where the card is installed run on XP with Service Pack 2?

How much security am I losing by switching from WPA to WEP?

Do you want the truth, or do you want to hear that WEP works fine? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

"...any WEP key can be cracked with readily available software in two minutes or less..."

I have it set to not broadcast, and only recognize the three MAC addresses of my computers.

Let's put it that way... this will prevent standard users from using your wireless network.

When someone wants to listen in on your traffic... it won't help. Nothing to get paranoid over, though.

Unless you send a lot of sensitive information over that network, chances are pretty good, that noone actually cares. :)

Bye
Thanee

Fenris

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Does the card('s manual) actually say it does not support WPA, or is the option not available when you set it up?

The option is not available when I set it up.

Thanee said:
Does the machine where the card is installed run on XP with Service Pack 2?

No not yet. This computer crashed and I had to wipe it clean, so it has pre-SP XP. Once I have it online, I'll get SP 1 and 2 on it.

Thanee said:
Do you want the truth, or do you want to hear that WEP works fine? ;)
The truth please ;) Then I can go into denial, less blissful than ignorance but nearly as good. :p

Thanee said:
Unless you send a lot of sensitive information over that network, chances are pretty good, that noone actually cares. :)

Yeah not really, just web surfing, email and what not. If I could mix the two it wouldn't matter as this is the kids computer and they'll juts be doing games etc. The Laptops can do WPA no problem. I didn't evne think to ask about WEP/WPA compatability before I bought it. Serves me right for not asking here first. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Fenris said:
No not yet. This computer crashed and I had to wipe it clean, so it has pre-SP XP. Once I have it online, I'll get SP 1 and 2 on it.

That's your problem. Install SP2 and it should work fine with WPA.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads