Wise Man's Fear

Krug

Newshound
Finished it, and just felt disappointed. A lot of it felt like padding, particularly when he's hunting down the bandits with the mercenaries and the sequence with Ferulan. And besides leveling up certain skills and getting someone who can pay his tuition, we seem to be pretty much where we started, despite the 1,000 or so pages. Sure it's quite well written, but plot wise it was seriously lacking.

apoptosis

First Post
I am reading it now.

I really enjoyed Name of the Wind.

This one not so much. It is a strange mixture of over the top adolescent wish fulfillment and tedious monotony.

Stuff I didnt like

[sblock]Way too much of a great at everything character. Yeah not the perfect Mary Sue, but close enough to be irritating very quickly.

I HATED the Adem. They were like an 80s version of a 14-year old writing about martial arts. Strangely when he first described them they were cool. The idea that they were mystical and that the fidgety activity they had and their fighting skill was because they kept in words. That was an interesting concept; then it turned out they were just cartoon idea of martial artists.

The Felurian section was both boring and silly except for the tree oracle who I actually found really cool.

I was sad as I was wanting to like this book and in the end I thought it turned out to be sophomoric by someone who I think is a very good writer.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads