• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wish

robotech_elder

First Post
Ok guys

I have level 4 Scout that now has a wish scroll.

His idea is as follows (keep in mind he is a very experienced player & DM) I however am not so i need some help.

Wish for a ring of three wishes that has all three wishes fully available.

Wish 1: Wish for all the special attributes and abilities of a Nymph without becoming a nymph.

Wish 2: Wish for a Scroll of Gate spell.

Wish 3: Wish for 3 wish scrolls.

What can I do to help or hinder his wish(s). Thanks!

He also tells me that there is a way to wish for a level in the game without metagaming. I never heard of such a thing but I am not as experenced. ???

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You're basically asking for the "You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)" clause to be used. Your first Wish (for the ring of Three Wishes) will likely get you transported into the same room as the dragon that owns it, for example.

robotech_elder

First Post
on a side question since I was looking up the info about a nymph does the nymph's druid spell casting abilities actually go up if the pc takes levels in druid? My gut tells me no since the MM shows it as a fixed spell level.

Concerning the wish so I guess I can do whatever I want to make it unpleasant but what about wish 1?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You should totally bone them if they ask for more wishes in whatever respect you deem fun. Give them a cursed ring/scroll, teleport them to a dragon that owns it (or teleport the dragon to them), or otherwise harass them. One way to do it is to be overly literal: a Ring of Three Wishes contains three particular hopes and dreams of its creator enscribed in it ("I wish to be wealthy, I wish to have power, I wish to never be alone"), but is otherwise normal. The Wish scrolls might appear lodged in his throat, so that he's choking on them. Whatever.

Wishing for the Gate scroll or the Nymph provides more interesting opportunities. I'd perhaps let them swap a class ability for certain Nymph abilities (like, give up 5th-level abilities to get the death-by-nudity ability; give up 1st-level abilities to get 1st-level druid spells, etc). The Gate has a possibility to lead somewhere other than where the PC intended, so it can be useful for you as a DM.

But wishing for more wishes is right up there in the gallery of "wishes that will get you killed." Though if your party is a little wahoo anyway, you might not want to go that way.

Nagol

Unimportant
Ok guys

I have level 4 Scout that now has a wish scroll.

His idea is as follows (keep in mind he is a very experienced player & DM) I however am not so i need some help.

Wish for a ring of three wishes that has all three wishes fully available.

Wish 1: Wish for all the special attributes and abilities of a Nymph without becoming a nymph.

Wish 2: Wish for a Scroll of Gate spell.

Wish 3: Wish for 3 wish scrolls.

What can I do to help or hinder his wish(s). Thanks!

He also tells me that there is a way to wish for a level in the game without metagaming. I never heard of such a thing but I am not as experenced. ???

Wishing for magic items has a massive xp cost in addition to the normal xp placed into the Wish cf. the spell description. Since the creator has to pay the xp when the item is created, the typical item has no chance for such creation to work -- except through perversion (and that typically will kill any character that has to rely on a wish item to begin with!)

Nymph: I'd hit the character with Polymorph Any Object
  • It is within the power confines of the Wish spell
  • It grants all the criteria requested
  • It is simple to adjudicate

Greenfield

Adventurer
As a general rule, Wishing for more Wishes is a no-no, so that's shot down from the word go. This guy is trying to take advantage of your inexperience. Don't let him.

He wants all the powers of a Nymph, but without being one? Okay, turn him into a statue of a Nymph, enchanted with all of her abilities. Or turn him into something else completely unplayable. The only form he forbade was Nymph, after all. And while a Nymph gets Druidic spells, she doesn't get Druidic class features like Wild Shape that would let him shape change back to himself.

Ooooh! I have it! Turn him into the tree that a Nymph will attach herself to!

In any case, use that to end his career. I'm serious. A classic slap down is called for when somebody tries to pull this kind of stuff on an inexperienced DM. Lay down the law now and you'll save yourself a mountain of grief later.

Also remember that Scrolls aren't useable by just anyone. The spell needs to be on the spell list for that character's class, and they need to be high enough level to cast the spell. He's a Level 4 Scout. As far as I know, Wish isn't on the Scout's spell list. (Neither is anything else, for that matter, as Scouts aren't spell casters.) That means that he'll need to make a Use Magic Device roll, first to emulate a Wizard class feature, then to emulate 17 levels of Wizard. That's two rolls if I recall the rules correctly, and he needs to roll a total of 37 for that last part. (Roll - 20 to get class level.)

So presume he has UMD maxed, and has an 18 Charisma. Add in a Headband of Persuasion (+3 on Charisma checks) and gets an Eagle's Splendor cast on him for another +2. That's 7 Skill points, 6 Ability points, plus 3 for the Headband. +16 total. He needs to roll a natural 21 on a D20.

Don't let him know that you've done the math, and make him roll the dice in front of you. If/when he fails (he will because this is a Skill check, and even a Natural 20 won't get him a 37), you can decide what happens when the ultimate spell power in the game misfires.

Again, end the PC's career with this.

As a general rule, you probably shouldn't be handing out Wish scrolls to level 4 party members. Way, way over the top.

Nymph: an immature form of insect. I'd have no problem granting that wish exactly as asked.

Scroll of Gate: When cast, a gate appears. White, with wooden pickets.

Three wishes: He gets three limited wishes.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The Genie from Aladdin pretty much spells it out.

"Three wishes, to be exact. And ixnay on the wishing for more wishes. That's all. Three. Uno, dos, tres. No substitutions, exchanges or refunds."

Wishing For A Level: Generally, a Wish can give a character exacly one xp less than required to get to her next level. They still need to "earn" that last XP.

Also, does the character have Use Magic Device? If not, she can't even read the scroll, let alone use it.
  • If she does, she must first decipher the scroll with Read Magic. If she can't, then it's DC 29 to read it.
  • She must then make a successful UMD check at DC 29 to emulate being a Wizard.
  • If she does not already have 19 intelligence (the INT required to cast a level 9 spell), she must also pass a DC 34 to emulate a 19 Int.
  • If THAT works, then she must make a Caster level check at DC 19.
If any of those fail, she can't try again for 24 hours.

Wishing to have Nymph Powers: He's trying pull one over on you, big time. There is no punishment to fit the crime. Turn his character into a Level 4 Female Elf Druid with the Nymph stat block. They are a great stat block, and if he's willing to change his character completely to get the bennies, then your work is done. And if he's not - your work is done. Just remember to adjust the caster level of all of her special abilities to match the character's level.

Last edited:

Remove ads