• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wishing cape

Rakusia

First Post
okay was running a game and decided to introduce a cape of lesser wish. once per day when magic word is said the cape will potentially grant a wish. this is a lvl 10+ campaign with a single class wizard single class ranger. so not super powered item by any means. the problem comes from the magic word that has to be spoken to activate the cape.

the scenario was two ogres fighting over cloak. if approached and talked to they would have stated that it was an inheritance from their father and they were fighting over who got to keep it. trying to get combat down a bit solution was to offer to test it out and decide which one would get it. thereby getting the cape and magic word. players however killed the ogres and took the cape. now wizard has it but cant use it. players are arguing there would be some way for him to find the magic word.

it is a specific word attached to the enchantment when the cape was made. only thing i can think of is to have him say it and something pop up from cape accidentally being activated. my question outside of some clever dming is there any spells or something like that that would let him discover it? i know identify allows him to know how to activate it, but doesnt specify if he would know the exact word or just that it is in fact keyword activated. as this happened i went with he only knows he needs a certain word.

N'raac

First Post
Given how often characters find word-activated items, I find it hard to consider "identify does not provide the word" the most reasonable interpretation.

I rather suspect the following, found on http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Item_Basics#Command_Word, appears in the rules somewhere...

Command Word

If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language no longer in common use. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sometimes the command word to activate an item is written right on the item. Occasionally, it might be hidden within a pattern or design engraved on, carved into, or built into the item, or the item might bear a clue to the command word.

The Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (history) skills might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check against DC 30 is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding on a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue.

The spells identify and analyze dweomer both reveal command words.

Greenfield

Adventurer
SRD said:
Identify
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Magic 2, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Targets: One touched object
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
The spell determines all magic properties of a single magic item, including how to activate those functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if any).
Identify does not function when used on an artifact.
Arcane Material Component: A pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting.
Am I missing something?

Failing that, the Legend Lore spell would seem appropriate.

Rakusia

First Post
thanks guys. mainly i was wanting to make it harder on them for ruining a fun encounter so i went with identify not giving the actual word. im going to go with its on the cape and if he spends time actually studying it he will be able to find it. or for some added fun i could make it a word he uses frequently should add some randomness to the game

N'raac

First Post
thanks guys. mainly i was wanting to make it harder on them for ruining a fun encounter so i went with identify not giving the actual word. im going to go with its on the cape and if he spends time actually studying it he will be able to find it. or for some added fun i could make it a word he uses frequently should add some randomness to the game

Gotta say I do't get a positive reaction to punishing the players (even so far as overriding the actual rules) for not playing the encounter out the way you wanted. A word that's in common use seems an unlikely choice for an item of this nature - why would the creator take that approach? "Insane Wizard Syndrome"?

I'm not sure why there would be an expectation the PC's would parley with 2 Giant monsters with a typically CE bent - is that their usual approach?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
i was wanting to make it harder on them for ruining a fun encounter

Did *they* have fun with the fight? If so, they didn't ruin anything.

I would recommend against designing encounters with a "preferred" solution. It does a disservice to the players, and hampers their creativity - they spend their trying to "game the GM", and figure out what you want, rather than what *they* want.

Given that, by the rules, they should have expected that a 1st level spell should solve the problem, they had no reason to worry about this. By changing the rules after the fact, you're moving the goalposts on them, and that's not really fair.

Rakusia

First Post
well they really didnt have fun with fight ranger got pissed when his wolf missed ac. wizard casted tentacles. then ranger just zerged with two wolves and weapon finesse/combat reflexes. the wizard at first said to wait then found out about magic cape and just decided to drop them.

also i was playing without my book so didnt have a write out of what identify does. and the wizard could not find it in his spell book. so i made the decision based on what i knew about the identify spell

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
also i was playing without my book so didnt have a write out of what identify does. and the wizard could not find it in his spell book. so i made the decision based on what i knew about the identify spell
You can always go back then and say "My mistake, it does work."

Jacob

Explorer
okay was running a game and decided to introduce a cape of lesser wish. once per day when magic word is said the cape will potentially grant a wish. this is a lvl 10+ campaign with a single class wizard single class ranger. so not super powered item by any means.
A Wish or even Limited Wish (the only Wish spells I'm aware of) is not to be gawked at, and should always be considered a super powered item when given the chance to cast it daily for free. ;) In regards to how to have done the scenario better, here's something (without knowing more specifics): Ogre's way more powerful than the PCs are fighting over the cloak, and the PCs have an option of who should get it. The ogre's assistance could be beneficial to the PCs in some way, given they are simply passing through (I think that's your circumstance?), and they could be pointed to in the right direction by the victor of the duo. Or the PCs could just fight the ogres for the cape and likely die.

Making it difficult/disastrous to fight the ogres for the cape is a totally viable option, and rewarding them with the cape for their luck is a great reward. Punishing PCs for doing a scenario "the wrong way" is one thing, but having them take on the risks for not making the smartest decision? Game on. What's great about this setup is that the PCs now know about an ogre with a magic item, and can return to it when strong enough to claim it. It develops characters to communicate with, and hooks the PCs to become more involved in future ventures. B-)

Rakusia

First Post
was trying to put in an old fairy tale man happens upon three brothers fighting over three objects with magic powers. he lies gets all three. says hell test them and then decide which brother gets what item. then he just leaves them there. instead my players just kill both ogres

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads