• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wishing for metamagic'ed Spells?

rankarrog

First Post
As you know, "wish" and "limited wish" grants you the ability to cast a spell, you didn't prepare(wiz) or dont't really know (wiz&src).

Now, here's my question:

a) May I wish for a empowered magic missle?(Just as an example, I know it would be a baaaaad deal).

b) If yes: May I wish for the empowered magic missle even if I don't know how to empower(i.e. I don't have the feat)?

c)If I prepared a empowerd limited wish, and wish a few magic missles, would thoose be empowered automatically?

Thanks for your opinions!

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A) I would say Yes. if you can wish for a divine raise dead, a merely empowered magic missile shouldn't be a problem.

B) I would say yes, under the same reasoning.

c) I would say no. I would say that there is no point in empowering limited wish because it doesn't have any numerical variables. You could still wish for an empowered cure serious wounds or whatever under the normal terms of the wish. I hope it goes without saying that an empowered limited wish != wish :)

rankarrog

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
A) I would say Yes. if you can wish for a divine raise dead, a merely empowered magic missile shouldn't be a problem.
I fear my example was to "Cute": What about an empowerd Ice Storm? According to limited wish I might wish for anything of 6th level or lower. Icestrom is 4th level which would be empwored to 6th level, and thus it would be still under the restrictions of the spell.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
OK, I see what you mean.

I would enforce the level caps on the wished for spells. So if Limited Wish could give you arcane spells of up to 6th level you could wish for a maximised fireball, but not an empowered, maximised fireball.

I also wouldn't allow anyone to wish for a quickened spell (although in exception to my comment above if someone prepared a quickened limited wish, they could wish any eligible spell off as a quickened action)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
How about using a limited wish to gain permanency for a non-standard spell?

Besides the spells that the PHB says can be made permanent, others can be researched. Researching how to apply permanency to a spell is like researching the original spell, as far as time and money (and DM approval).

Permanency is a 5th level spell, though, and should be able to be duplicated by a limited wish. The fact that you haven't researched the proper formula shouldn't prevent the spell from being applied in a novel way.

Am I right?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
How about using a limited wish to gain permanency for a non-standard spell?
If the DM has judged it possible for that spell to be made permanent, then this should work. However, without research you don't know what's possible, so you may be burning the XP for no reason.

In any case, you'd have to spend the XP cost of Permanency, which looks to be 500 per level of the target spell.

apsuman

First Post
I like the answers so far, but this need to be resolved by the players before it happens.

Without being metagaming, the DM has to decide how to resolve some limited wishes.

For example, "I wish I were much stronger so I may dispatch these giants."

Could result in:

Bulls Str spell (bad deal - level 2 spell)
Empowered Bulls Str (level 4 -- still a bad deal)
Maximized Bulls Str (level 5 -- maybe not so bad)
Extended Empowered Bulls Str (Level 6 -- is this the best you can do?)

In other words, the metamagic can not be asked for in a meta way, and the results are very open to interpretation even by a benevolent DM.

g!

Cou

rankarrog

First Post
Why shouldn't a spellcaster ask directly(i.e. in a not metagame way) for a metamagic'ed spell?

He/She kows the techniques, they have names for her, so he/she could simply say: "I wish I was affected by an ampowered Bulls Strength Spell"

gfunk

First Post
apsuman said:
I like the answers so far, but this need to be resolved by the players before it happens.

Without being metagaming, the DM has to decide how to resolve some limited wishes.

For example, "I wish I were much stronger so I may dispatch these giants."

One of the main benefits of Wish and Limited Wish (Arcane) versus Miracle (Divine) is that in the former you can specify exactly what you want. This is why these spells always cost XP, regardless. Miracle, on the other hand, specifically says that "you request a deity's intervention." Thus, Miracle is subject to DM interpretation. This is fair, since Miracle doesn't carry the hefty XP cost of Wish/Limited Wish unless you ask for something really powerful.

I don't think Wish and Limited Wish were written this way in 2nd edition, which may be causing some of the confusion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads