• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Wishmaster 3.5 Core class

kingius

First Post
I quite like the idea of a core class based around wishes. This is in response to another forum member asking for a prestige class based around limited wishes. It got me thinking...You could do away with most of the magic system if mages simply wished for things and they happened (true magic!). The XP penalty for casting Wish and Limited Wish might possibly work as balance for just such a class, but there'd probably have to be a 'minor wish' added for low levels. See below for a quick stab at this. Please note this has not been tested in any way, use at your own risk!

Wishmaster Core class
=================
The wishmaster is served by a genie familiar whom he keeps within a lamp. The genie is fully sentient and uses the wishmaster's own life force to manifest its powers. Unlike a traditional genie in a lamp, which grants three wishes, this genie has been bound to the wishmaster by a powerful sorceror and will be released upon the wishmaster's death.

See the wizard class for all abilities EXCEPT spells. Instead of spells, use the following abilities:

Little wish - duplicate the effects of any level 0-2 sorceror or wizard spell. Available at level 1. Costs 75 XP (or more, if the spell in question costs more XP then use that amount instead).

Lamp magic - The wishmaster may use any magical items that are lamps, torches or pertain to light in some way as though he met the requirements to use these items. In addition, lanterns that he carries do not get extinguished by draughts or the wind and oil lasts for ten times as long in the wishmaster's lantern. Available at level 3.

Half wish - duplicate the effects of any level 0-3 sorceror or wizard spell. This ability can also call forth the genie to defend the caster for as many rounds as levels he posseses, in which case, treat the genie as Djinni who will planeshift himself and his master out of harms way if the battle goes against them. Available at level 6. Costs 150 XP (or more, if the spell in question costs more XP then use that amount instead).

Lighthouse sensing - When at sea, the wishmaster may sense the location of any and all lighthouses within ten miles of where he currently is and use these to help navigate him. If he comes within sight of a lighthouse, and it is not lit, he can instantly magic its beacon to burn - even if there is nothing combustible to make this happen. Available at 9th level.

Limited wish - Available at 11th level.

Power over lamps - The wishmaster has full control of the brightness and intensity of any burning lanterns and lamps that he can see. He can instantly snuff them out at will or start them burning once more - even if the lanterns have no fuel. He can also make them explode their lantern oil (causing d6 damage for 2 rounds to the wielder) if he desires. He can also make his genie appear from any lamp or lantern that he sees, in which case it appears as a Djinn and stays for as many rounds as levels that the wishmaster has, or until a battle turns against it. Available at 13th level.

Wish - Available at 15th level.

The wishmaster may use as many of these wish abilities per day as he has levels, except for the full 'wish' ability, which can only be used once per day per level above 14. After this, the genie must rest for eight hours, undisturbed, to fulfill more wishes. If a wishmaster's genie dies, he must seek out another magic lamp with a genie within it and use one of the wishes it grants to make it his slave.

Last edited:

Sekhmet

First Post
It's an interesting concept, but I am concerned about the fluff. "powerful sorcerer bound a genie to me" doesn't much make sense for a first level character.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay, I see what the OP really wants to do.

So what you really need to make it work is to come up with more and more advanced versions of Prestidigitation.

Now create a Wiz/Sor type class that specializes in Universal spells (of which Prestidigitation is one), and you're there.

I'd allow either the Wiz or Sorcerer base because they could also select other spells. The advanced versions of the cantrip should be slightly weaker than their dedicated purpose counterparts, but they'll more than make up for it in pure versatility.

A simple guideline would be that Presto I could emulate any Arcane spell of level zero.

Presto II could emulate any 1st level Arcane spell, or any zero-level Divine spell.

Presto III could emulate any 1st or 2nd level Arcane spell, or any 1st level Divine spell, etc.

That follows the flavor of Wish and Limited Wish.

I'd include a small Exp cost that advances as the spell level goes up, so that the progression leads smoothly to the established costs for Wish and Limited Wish.

I'd also allow/create a feat that reduces Exp cost for spells.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Are you familiar with the Base class Sha'ir? I've seen it in the Dragon Magic Compendium, and apparently it was in the magazine issue 315.

You have a mini genie, and in order to prepare spells for the day, you send the creature away to get them for you somehow. It's like a Sorcerer with a rotating spell list, who can access some Divine spells, but it takes longer to prepare.

Or something.

At higher levels you summon elemental Genies.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
So a starting character can't do anything because he lacks xps to spend?

Every time you use your class abilities you have to spend xp?

If you lose your genie, you're screwed worse than a bookless wizard.

This simultaneously seems pretty badly overpowered to me- you start with access to 2nd level spells (effectively, at least after your first "get some starter xp" adventure) at 1st level, which seems overpowered to me (and ALL wiz/sor spells of lvl 2 or less, to boot!).

Getting a full wish 1/day or more starting at 15th level seems overpowered to me, too.

Sorry, but I think you should do a bunch of serious tweaking before you try to use this. I just don't think crippling weaknesses + overpowered abilities = balance.

Remove ads