Witch Class

peterka99

First Post
Witches as cleric domain

I will modify the druid after

modification to cleric class (not so many):

1) Witches draw their magic from folk wisdom and traditional lore. It is not a theory, but a gift from pagan supernatural entities, despited as spirits or demons by official religions.
2) Turn undead channel is replaced by implements (stick and shawl)
3) Destroy undead is replace by potion brewing and cauldron
4) A separate spell list (core cleric and core witch spells, outside the new spells, are quite alike to me)
5) Druid's restrictions on arms and armor

[sblock]
Channel Divinity

The effect duration of the channel is 24h or until a long rest is completed.

Witch Implements: Witch’s Strike and Witch’s Armor
At 2nd level and thereafter, the witch may materialize or empower a stick or piece of cloth (shawl) with spiritual energy to cause more damage and bestow protection (add your comments).

Witch’s Strike
The base damage for your special attack is 1d8+ Wis mod at 1st level. It increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8 + Wis mod), 11th level (3d8 + Wis mod), and 17th level (4d8+Wis mod).

or

Witch’s Armor
Starting at 2rd level, while you are wearing your witch’s shawl, your armor class can’t be less than 14. Calculate your armor class normally, including use of a shield and dexterity; if it is less than 14, your armor class is 14. Starting at 10th level, your minimum armor class is 15, and starting at 15th level, your minimum armor class is 16

Witch’s Resistance
Starting at 8th level, you can use your Channel divinity to have resistance to one or more specific types of damage, based on your tradition.

Witch’s Resistance Type
Tradition Damage Type
Death necromantic
Diabolist fire
Fate at each long rest, choose one from acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necromantic, poison, psychic, radiant, or thunder
Life radiant
Nature cold, fire, lightning, and thunder
Veiled psychic
Winter cold*

Overland Flight
Starting at 10th level, you... (your pdf entry). At 18th level, no implement is needed and flight is natural to the witch as if she got a natural flying speed.

Witch’s Protection

At 18th level, you can use your Channel divinity to get advantage on all saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

(So at 18th level there is a choice between flight or protection)
---------------------------------------

Divine domain features: as already created by you, with or without my modifications

common to all your traditions/divine domains

at 2th, familiar

at 7th, familiar link and familiar attack

specific:

At 6th, a second domain feature (your 10th level feature as per tradition)

At 17th level (use your 20th level divine domain feature)

Divine intervention (Witches gods are spirit).

At 10th level, Divine intervention - grants witch sanctuary as per divine domain

At 20th Improved divine intervention- all creatures can be affected by sanctuary

Potions brewing and cauldron, vessel of potency
Moved to 5th level to replace destroy undead. Better at 11, and 17th level as destroy undead is (potion categories are common, uncommon, rare, etc)

At 11th level, the witch may brew rare and very rare potions

Environmental modification
At 14th level, the witch presence caused modifications to her environmental.

At 17th level, the witch may brew legendary potions

note: Less rules tinkering because this is not a CLASS. No death curse (my choice), a divine channel choice at 2nd and 18th level. Features came a litle bit faster. To compensate the extra Hit Points, there is limitation to armor as druid.

flaw: Still too many features for a cleric, balance issues, flavor ?This subclass is still unfinished compared to your class.[/sblock]

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
Witches as druid domain

modification to druid class:

1) Wild shape is replaced by witch implements
2) Druid circles are replaced by witch traditions
3) timeless body and beast spells are replaced by a druid circle feature and witch protection
4) A separate spell list (major issue, druid spells are more combat worthy)
5) at 20th, archdruid is replaced by supreme sanctuary

[sblock]

Druidic circles features:

Common to all traditions:

Witches implements at 2nd level
Familiar
When you reach 2nd level, you learn the find familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn’t count against your number of spells known.

Familiar Attack
Starting at 5th level, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own.
Familiar Link at 7th

At 6th, a second domain feature as per witch tradition, witch resistance, brew potion and Vessel of potency

At 11th level, the witch may brew rare and very rare potions
At 17th level, the witch may brew legendary potions

At 10th level, A third druid circle feature, sanctuary and overland flight

Sanctuary: Your supernatural allies grants you witch sanctuary...

At 14th A fourth druid circle feature, cauldron elemental effect

At 18th, a fifth druid circle feature as per tradition and Witch’s Protection

At 20th Supreme sanctuary- all creatures can be affected by sanctuary

note: High D8, it is OP because I kept shawl and there is already armor restrictions with this class. I removed the improved flight.

flaw: Still too many features for a druid, balance issues, flavor ?This subclass is still unfinished compared to your class.

Il still have to consider adapting to the 3 arcane classes; but witchcraft is more a religion to me (wicka).[/sblock]

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
Witch Warlock SubClass

Note: This one is the easiest to create, with the least changes! The different spells list is the only issue... But I think I balanced it.

[sblock]
Witches as warlock subclass

Pact Boon , 3rd level

Pact of the flight (overland stride)

Pact of the Chain – Use warlock familiar rules, with new familiars available (add tradition specs)

Mystic arcanum and eldritch master: As is

Eldritch invocations:

Familiar Link (pre 7th level and Witch patron)
Flight , preq 18th level and patc of the flight

--------------------------------------------------
Spiritual allies otherwordly patrons- Witch’s Tradition

Witch’s Tradition
The Witch Animist Patrons are of 8 type- their knowledge is called tradition. At 1st level, you choose to follow a particular witchcraft tradition. The traditions available are Death (death and undead), Diabolist (alike fiend Patron) , Fate (divination, curses and chance), Life (healing and growth), Nature (animals and fey), Veiled (mind control) and Winter (cold-based). Your choice grants you tradition spells and other abilities.

For all 8 traditions:

at 6th level sanctuary and

Curser
Also at 6th level, you gets power to cast bestow curse. At 10th level, you can cast Bestow greater curse. It take a long rest to recover the ability.

Death Tradition (witchdoctor)
1st level: Whenever you create...
Starting at 10th level, you automatically become aware ....
At 14th level, you also gain the ability to conjure the Danse Macabre... To conjure the Danse Macabre, spend an hour and expend a spell slot.

Diabolist Tradition

At 1st level, You learn your choice of the Abyssal or Infernal language.
Also, you can use Minor Illusion...

True Names: At 10th level, you learn the true name of one demon or devil with a CR of 10 or less...

Command fiends At 14th level, you gain the ability to command fiends with a CR of 10 or less ....

Fate Tradition (strega)

You can manipulate fate to your benefit as long as you are holding your stick. you are able to pull the strings of fate, to accelerate or hinder existing lines or change one path in another then cut the strings.
Starting at 1th level, When you finish a long rest, roll 1 d20 ....
Starting at 10th level, you can roll three d20s ...
In addition, you are constantly surrounded by a 20-foot-radius sphere... No teleport...
At 14th level you can roll four d20s ...

Life Tradition (wise (wo)men)

Your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

10th You can enlarge or shrink creatures as per 2th level spell, at will

At 14th level, your life force is so strong that bodily hazards have no hold on you. Your body slowly reverts to the form you had at the prime of your life. You are immune to disease, poison, and effects would age you magically. You will still die of old age.

Nature Tradition (Drui)

At 1st level, You can pass through non...

Starting at 10th level, You can use your action and expend a spell slot to wild shape ...

Also at 10th level, you can use your action and expend a spell slot to enter a tree...

At 14th level, you gain the ability to command animals and plant creatures...

At 14th level, you also gain the ability to call the Wild Hunt ... 1 spellslot...

Veiled Tradition

At 1th level, you can use your bonus action and expend a spell slot to become invisible to humanoids until the beginning of your next turn. At 9th level, you can use an action to cast invisibility at will as per the 2nd level spell. Regardless, the invisibility ends if you attack or cast a spell.

At 10th level, you gain the ability to make a creature unaware of your magical influence on it....

At 14h level, you gain the ability to command humanoids as per dominate person spell. While humanoids are charmed by you, you can take an action on your turn to verbally command what one humanoid will do on its next turn. This ability can be used once before needing a short rest, with verbal commands only.

Winter Tradition
At 1st level, You add +1 to the damage roll of any spell you cast that does cold damage. However, any attack you make that deals fire damage is done at disadvantage, and creatures have advantage to make saving throws against spells you cast that deal fire damage.

You can glide on ice and snow. You can move 10 feet on ice or snow by spending 5 feet of movement, and can ignore movement penalties from difficult terrain that is ice or snow.
Finally, you have resistance to cold damage.

 In addition, beginning at 10th level, you can alter cold spells that you cast to manifest with sharp ice crystals, causing half of the spell’s cold damage to be piercing damage instead.

At 14th level, you gain the ability to command ice elementals. While ice elementals are charmed by you, you can take a bonus action on your turn to verbally command what one ice elemental will do on its next turn.
At 14th level, you also gain the ability to call a blizzard...

newer version attached
[/sblock]

Attachments

• witch_warlocks.doc
    194.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
Would you please evaluate this feature as a warlock pact ? I posted earlier a Warlock version of ths thread witch class.

Pact of the Coven

Your patron offer you way to stride distances fast to attain ceremonies with other warlocks. Folklore call these warlocks witches.

You can materialize then straddle to fly on a an implement to ride on, like a stick, a broom, a pitchfork. Your flight speed is 60 feet, but you have very poor maneuverability (you cannot fly in enclosed spaces or make tight turns). Flying in this manner is clumsy, and you cannot cast a spell, make an attack or maintain any spell which requires concentration while flying. If you take any damage while flying, you must immediately use your reaction to make a Dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to damage taken to avoid falling off (if you don’t have a reaction left, you automatically fall off). For these reasons, flying in combat is very dangerous. Invocations may greatly improve your flight.

Invocation

Flight (prer 18th level, pact of the flight)

Flight spell at will

Do you think this pact correct, under or over powered ? And the subsequent invocation ? Since it make the pact itself obsolete, I guess it should at a lower level than expected for a 3rd level spell at will. 12th as per pact of blade stonecap invocation ?

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
The Resources database only takes class archetypes, not whole new classes. So I'm posting this here. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Attached is a PDF file with a new witch class. The class is based on Central European and fairytale concepts of witches as practical spellcasters, following tradition rather than theory or reliance on gods/patrons. It includes many new spells and potions.

If you've seen a prior version, this version should be final. Unless I see an error, I don't intend to make further changes. I apologize for not putting the content in the post, but I don't have time right now to format it nicely.

Brian

Can I add this to the Book of Houserules we're compiling in this thread? It's a good class.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
Would you please evaluate this feature as a warlock pact ? I posted earlier a Warlock version of ths thread witch class.

I don't really like the mechanics or flavor of the warlock class, so I haven't spent much time with it and I don't feel qualified to evaluate.

I would appreciate it if you put something in your Microsoft word file acknowledging that your rules werw based on my work.

-Brian

peterka99

First Post
Then just consider post no 20, referring to your class. Otherwise, I worked 3-4h on the warlock to balance it... I updated the word file with reference to this thread.

Last edited:

jrowland

First Post
Also, given all classes have their own archetype title, and "tradition" is already the Wizard's, I might come up with a different term. As, per your fluff, witches are "practical magic users/casters", might I suggest, simply, "Practices." Which Witch's Practice do you follow?

I am late to this, so it's probably baked in for most of you, but I am thinking "Shawl"...kind of a Robert Jorden, Wheel of Time vibe, I know (not intended) but it works for me at deep level. Witch's choose their "Shawl" and the associated benefits for belonging to a Shawl. I would then roll up the various shawl skills you currently have into the (current) tradition. So you would be a Death Shawl Witch and at 3rd level gain Witch's armor...I think I lot of those could use some differentiation similar to wizards and cleric domains with certain features at certain levels but with lots of overlap.

Last edited:

Remove ads