• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Witch Hunter Robin

(Searched for this, without a search engine)

Has anyone done anything similar to Witch Hunter Robin, an anime from a few years back? I just watched the first DVD (5 episodes) and seem pretty good. Dept 7-ish group of 6 people in Japan hunting down people ("witches") with Psionic abilites ("craft").

Just curious. If there's a thread on this already, point the way.

Morgenstern

First Post
Several parts of Dark Inheritance (both d20 Modern and Spycraft versions) are heavily influenced/inspired by Witch Hunter Robin :). I just watched the whole series about 3 months ago and found it really fun. It's certainly a workable premise for gaming!

Kesh

First Post
Unfortunately, WHR didn't get very well received when it was on TV. Pacing was a bit too slow for most folks. (And I only saw two episodes, but wanted to see the rest! :( )

From what little I've seen, most of the powers could be duplicated via the d20 Modern or Expanded Psionics Handbook feat Wild Talent. The person gets one psionic power, and a handful of Power Points to use it with. No one in the show really had much variety in powers, so that works. The rest is pretty simply a Modern conspiracy campaign.

As an alternative, look into the True 20 system. It also has a feat (called Wild Talent as well) does the same thing, but the powers are more flexible and offer a bit of unpredictability.

Skywalker

Adventurer
WHR would make for a cool setting for an RPG, provided you cut out the poorly crafted story and the craptastic ending. I second Dark Inheritance as a D20 setting that would work (which now uses Spycraft) or True 20.

genshou

First Post
Alternatively, you could use d20 Modern's Urban Arcana if you desire a more "Deeandee" feel to the magic/psionics (possibly using a variation on the Agents of PSI campaign setting presented in d20 Modern), or the upcoming Mythic Earth by our very own RangerWickett of E.N. Publishing. Of course, you can't use that until it is published, and I'm not sure when that will be.

The other products represented in the above posts also make for excellent choices. I'm just more familiar with the two I mentioned, plus they haven't been represented yet :D

Remove ads