• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Witch Wealth - Why?

N'raac

First Post
A starting Wizard, Sorcerer (even druid or summoner) gets 20 - 120 gold. Any thoughts on why the Witch gets 30 - 180? I can't think of anything they need to purchase which would require this added cash.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Steel_Wind

Legend
A starting Wizard, Sorcerer (even druid or summoner) gets 20 - 120 gold. Any thoughts on why the Witch gets 30 - 180? I can't think of anything they need to purchase which would require this added cash.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

A witch needs the extra money to buy ink and vellum to scribe her scrolls to feed to her familiar just to learn new spells. That's a burden those other classes do not have.

Werebat

Explorer
A witch needs the extra money to buy ink and vellum to scribe her scrolls to feed to her familiar just to learn new spells. That's a burden those other classes do not have.

I was under the impression that witches got their new spells by level automatically, and could use captured scrolls to teach their familiar new spells. They have LESS, not more, spell learning expenses than wizards (who have to scribe scrolls they capture into their books).

I'm not seeing the reason for their wealth either.

N'raac

First Post
As I recall, the Witch must use (destroy) a scroll to teach its familiar a new spell. They don't have the option of learning from a spellbook (they can learn from familiars of other Witches). The wizard's cost to scribe a spell isn't massive, but the witch gets by cheaper..

If that's the issue, though, adding 10 - 60 gold at L1 seems a poor solution. Maybe it's so they have some weight to encumber them since they don't have to lug those heavy spell books around...

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
But witches have to buy those cool pointy hats! And a witch without a broom? Come one, the witch needs to buy things. Believe me, my last girlfriend was a witch, and she was needy and went shopping too often!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Could just be an error. It's far less egregious than the APG, the very same book, not adjusting the Zen Archer Monk's starting wealth to NOT be "monk wealth." Cause you know...they literally CAN'T flurry of blows with unarmed strike, even if they wanted to. Nor a crossbow. Only bows.

If I ever finish my Zen Archer Monk Handbook, I plan to have a whole section devoted to "surviving level 1" it's so stupid and crippling.
/threadjack

N'raac

First Post
Could well be just an error - and for 35 gold on average, hardly a big deal. Looks like I'm not missing anything, anyway.

Remove ads