• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Fenris

Adventurer
Fergus drops his sword and picks up his silver sword. He steps next to the dwarf, shoulder to shoulder (well waist to shoulder) and says simply "Fergus". Fergus then makes a complicated gesture with his fingers.

OOC: Casting Yrden sign, radiant ward.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Initiative

Players, go in any order you like
✓Barakor
✓Elora
✓Fergus
Kynee
✓Talashia

[MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] it's your turn!

Axel

First Post
Grunting in frustration, Kynee lunged after her boot. And the drowned monster. Coming up behind it, the creature was clearly intent on Elora - much to its peril.

Ignoring the strobing light and bursts of magical energy Kynee raised her sword high and down again in a blurred and glittering silver arc (Attack roll: 1d20+4 23).

The sword landed on its shoulder with a solid thunk - enough to hurt without risking the blade's razor edge on bone (Damage: 1d10+2 5)

Quickleaf

Legend
The boot drowner’s body convulses as the first of the bright bolts of force crumple its body, leaving hideous bruises from the force of their impact. As Kynee’s silver blade finds purchase in its shoulder, the drowner tries to turn about with flailing arms only for the subsequent two magical missiles launched from Elora’s fingertips to slam into it, spinning the drowner off of Kynee’s blade to a grisly end on a bed of caltrops. Kynee’s boot topples at the witcheress’ feet, slightly worse for the wear.

Following the movements of Fergus’ fingers, a nimbus of purple light flares to life around the witcher and the dwarf Barakor who’d come barelling off the trail into the vilage to aid these strangers. Just in time too. The drowner surveying them scrambles forward in a mad sprint, only to freeze in place at the last second as the purple light courses through its body, burning out the tips of its fingers, its mouth, and its black pond eyes.

The last of the drowners leaning into the crackling electricity flashing from Talashia’s outstretched palm at last grips the ground with all fours, leveraging itself to lunge at the sorceress! Instead its claws and teeth bite into nothing as one of her mirror images dissolves into vapors.

ilFOBHy.png

GM:
Initiative

Players, go in any order you like
Barakor
Elora
Fergus
Kynee
Talashia

Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #2 dead
Drowner #3 dead
Drowner #5 dead
Drowner #6 HP 18 17 11 7 (witch-bolted)
Drowner #7 HP 18 (restrained - Yrden)

GM: Dice Rolls
Drowner #7 DC 11 Con save vs. radiant Yrden _: 1D20+0 = [3]+0 = 3 fails, and is restrained
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] roll 2d6 damage on Drowner #7

Drowner #6 _: 1D20 = [9] = 9 attacks one of Talashia’s mirror images
Drowner #6 vs. Talashia’s mirror image (AC 13) _: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19 hits!

Shayuri

First Post
Finally, finally, the damage being done to the drowner exceeds the unnatural force that animates it. The bones of its ribs blacken and become brittle under that assault, and finally they give way entirely. The drowner drops, in two halves held together only by a sliver of flesh.

The torrent of electricity ceases emanating from her hand, and she glances at the spot in midair that the drowner had spent its final moments trying to maul.

"Nevermind that sword," the sorceress sighed. "I've got it."

(Lightning Hands! [roll0])

Last edited:

Aramalian

Explorer
Barakor flashes a tight grimace of a smile at the witcher beside him and grunts, "Barakor Bloodbarrow at your service, witcher." The approaching drowner puts Fergus between itself and the dwarf, which seems like a bad idea to Barakor, but what does he know? He shuffles his feet, finds a spot by the witcher's left side, and slams his hammer into putrescent flesh once more.

OOC: Attack Roll on Drowner #5: 13
Weapon Damage: 11
Paladin Spell Slots remaining: 1 (3/LR total)

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: So [MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION] your attack I'm assuming is on Drowner #7 nearby Barakor and Fergus (since #5 is dead). Because #7 is restrained, you'd have advantage on your attack roll. However '13' hits anyhow. But if you wanted to "crit fish" you do have that option of rolling another d20 for advantage on attack.

Normally I'd just interpret such hiccups as DM, but I wanted everyone to be clear & remembering details like "oh yeah, restrained grants advantage" are the kinds of things that are easy to lose track of when learning 5e.

And also remember that in the Witcher setting many monsters have resistance to damage from non-magical non-silver weapons.

Aramalian

Explorer
GM: So [MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION] your attack I'm assuming is on Drowner #7 nearby Barakor and Fergus (since #5 is dead). Because #7 is restrained, you'd have advantage on your attack roll. However '13' hits anyhow. But if you wanted to "crit fish" you do have that option of rolling another d20 for advantage on attack.

Normally I'd just interpret such hiccups as DM, but I wanted everyone to be clear & remembering details like "oh yeah, restrained grants advantage" are the kinds of things that are easy to lose track of when learning 5e.

And also remember that in the Witcher setting many monsters have resistance to damage from non-magical non-silver weapons.
OOC: I'm an idiot - I labeled the roll correctly (as being against #7) on the dice roller site, but forgot to change it here. And I did roll with advantage LOL - 13 was my GOOD total. I posted the damage total I rolled; I don't mind applying the resistance before posting... I just didn't want to cause confusion and have resistance applied by both of us :)

Sent via EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Yep yep! You're good, I just saw that you'd done it all right on Orokos :) No need for you guys to calculate resistance, I'll do that, just wanted to make sure no one was surprised by "hey, wait a minute, I did 11 damage to that drowner, it should be dead!"

Let's see...

Initiative

➔Players, go in any order you like
✓Barakor
Elora
Fergus
Kynee
✓Talashia

Drowners

Monster Stats
AC 12

Drowner #2 dead
Drowner #3 dead
Drowner #5 dead
Drowner #6 dead
Drowner #7 HP 18 13 (restrained - Yrden)

It's your turns [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] !

Last edited:

Remove ads