D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Quickleaf

Legend
[section]Without missing a beat, Margarita crosses her legs and flushes out her dress with a disarmingly warm smile. It was that same smile that Talashia remembered being so hard to decipher. "I have a soft spot for all deranged and outcast people, what can I say?" While Margarita's words might seem offensive, she hardly dwells on them as such, enjoying the chance for a little verbal sparring to remind her of her days at Aretuza.

"I know well enough to read the room, Talashia, my dear. Your protectiveness of your ward," she inclines her tea cup toward Odvara, "is admirable. Perhaps there's a way I can allay your suspicions and we could help each other at the same time? You intend to reach Dol Blathanna, yes? I was reviewing one of my tomes this morning..." Margarita said, pausing to sip her tea, not bothering to explain how she has traveled across the Blue Mountains on her own, much the less with heavy books. "There is a spell which I believe will create a temporary passage of sorts through the enchantment Francesca Findabair has placed around her lands. It was known to the old Druids, and records of it in the Elder Tongue call it Dewch o hyd i'r llwybr (Find the Hidden Path). There is an old druid circle in these parts that I haven't yet ventured to. Only a hierophant would possess such magic, or perhaps an ancient stone monument might bear sufficient engravings that I could deduce enough to transcribe the spell."

"That seems preferable to me than embarking on a 'hag hunt.'" Her pursed lips clearly indicate that she views the legend of Old Nan with about as much credibility as Talashia, more likely an excuse to persecute hedge witches.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"Preferable to break into Dol Blathanna's wards with old magic, and then ask them a boon?" Talashia rubbed her chin. "We have diplomatic acumen like that to thank for the high and exalted regard the Lodges are held in the world, I expect."

She closed her eyes and bit her tongue then, forcing her ire down.

"That was uncalled for, Margarita, I apologize. Even so, given the circumstances I'm more inclined to humor the elves in this matter than try to bully my way through to them. We have to trust them with Odvara's care. We should show them they can trust us as well."

Azurewraith

Explorer
Tamaran remains silent, not wanting to involve himself in the matters of magic but he cant help think you you don't break into someone's house,then ask them for help.

Fenris

Adventurer
Without missing a beat, Margarita crosses her legs and flushes out her dress with a disarmingly warm smile. It was that same smile that Talashia remembered being so hard to decipher. "I have a soft spot for all deranged and outcast people, what can I say?" While Margarita's words might seem offensive, she hardly dwells on them as such, enjoying the chance for a little verbal sparring to remind her of her days at Aretuza.

Fergus grunted. "I doubt the soft spot is on the back of your hand Margarita , the way your use it to offer back handed compliments. In any case, Talishia is quite correct in that it seems a rather heavy handed approach. However, I am open to the idea. Rather than placing all our eggs in one basket" says Fergus pausing to finish the egg he was eating "And as it seems that you have yet to have found the circle, or runes to ensure that your proposal would even work we need to keep options open. So I would say to you, go and find the circle, see if you can translate the ruins, and if so, then we can consider if we wish to use it once it a a true and viable course. In the meantime, we will continue to look for Old Nan. Which Elora at least can attest to, will not be a 'hag hunt'".So saying Fergus picks up a piece of bread and resumes eating.

Quickleaf

Legend
[section]Setting her tea down, Margarita gazes intently at the edge of Fergus' neck where a hint of the strange tattoos covering his body just barely shows. No matter how cruel the witch hunts of Novigrad were to her, Margarita is far from accustomed to the squalor of village life at the edge of the Empire. "Very well," she says decisively, lips pursed in displeasure. As she rises in a self-controlled huff, the blond-haired sorceress pauses, hand on the back of Elora's chair. "You could do worse than to begin your investigation," she says coyly emphasizing the word to show that she means 'hag hunt', "with the innkeeper's husband. The poor fellow is cursed by old magic. But of course you knew that, witcher." Margarita smiles to herself, walking past Fergus at the head of the table on her way back up to her room.[/section]

Fenris

Adventurer
"Not my job Margarita. But thanks for showing your true colors by stating that without helping the poor man. It shows the measure by which we can trust you and how you are driven solely by self-interest which of course calls further into question your reasons for being here" calls back Fergus just as non-nonchalant.

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia chuckles and reaches out to pat Fergus' forearm placatingly.

"Pace yourself," she advises. "You'll want to save some outrage for later, I expect."

Fenris

Adventurer
Talashia chuckles and reaches out to pat Fergus' forearm placatingly.

"Pace yourself," she advises. "You'll want to save some outrage for later, I expect."

"Fortunately Tali, witchers never run out of it." quips back Fergus with a grin to Talashia. "But thanks."

Fergus finishes off another piece of stuffed bread before pulling out the obsidian pendant Elora gave him last night. He examines it for any signs he can decipher.

Quickleaf

Legend
As Fergus turns the obsidian pendant over in his callused fingers, there are signs of faint etching along each of the metal beads. Runes of some kind, but they bear no similarity to the Skellige runes of his homeland. There may be significance to the obsidian, a secret meaning, but you'd have to ask a witch, or pellar, or alchemist. Witchers dealt in the tangible. Something about the metal beads, though, doesn't feel quite right. As he traces his thumbnail over the beads, Fergus realizes the beads have been dipped in a veneer of copper metal. (passive Investigation 13) In actuality, once he flakes off some of the copper gilding, they are dimeritium underneath.

Dimeritium, a rare precious mineral anathema to all things magical. The amount present in the necklace could easily be worth a thousand gold coins. A sorceress wearing such a necklace would be unable to cast spells, and would also be protected from the influence of outside magic.

Remove ads