• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E With 4E coming out, best time to open game shop?

Abstraction

First Post
Me and my good buddy are finally going to make the dream come true and open a game shop (of course we both will still have to work elsewhere for actual money :( ). We were inspired to go forward because of 4E coming out, seemed like a good time to get into business.

Our plan is to not buy any 3.x D&D as it doesn't seem a wise investment, and jump right into 4E. We will of course have board games, card games, minis, dice and all the other stuff. We were thinking of opening doors about a month before core books hit. What do you think? Sooner, later?

Mallus

Legend
Seriously? Never. Unless you mean 'game shop' in the virtual web-based sense. I don't see how brick-and-mortar game shops can survive against online retailers.

Have you written a business plan? Can your area support a gaming retailer (or another) in the first place? Heck, I live in a moderately big (not to mention homicide-happy) city and the only game shops in town are primarily comic shops. Of which, there are currently two.

(I don't mean to sound overwhelmingly harsh, but people lose a lot of money starting businesses based on their interests/loves, instead of on what the local market needs/can support)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I would say that would be a good move. You won't be stuck with a lot of 3.5 stuff you can't move. You might want to get a few current things that are virtually systemless, but that would be about it.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I don't see why the release of 4e would make this any better time to open a shop than any other time. Sure, somebody who opened a shop in July, bought a bunch of 3.5e inventory and then heard the 4e announcement at GenCon may be unhappy, but other than that, it isn't about timing, it is about the market.

You need to be able to move inventory when there isn't a new edition coming out

Abstraction

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I don't see why the release of 4e would make this any better time to open a shop than any other time. Sure, somebody who opened a shop in July, bought a bunch of 3.5e inventory and then heard the 4e announcement at GenCon may be unhappy, but other than that, it isn't about timing, it is about the market.

You need to be able to move inventory when there isn't a new edition coming out
I have the impression that a lot of people who bought only the core for 3.X will buy only the core for 4.0, and I would like them to buy from me. It might be a temporary spike in sales, but a temporary spike in June is better than opening a store 2 months AFTER the release.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mallus said:
Seriously? Never. Unless you mean 'game shop' in the virtual web-based sense. I don't see how brick-and-mortar game shops can survive against online retailers.

Most frequently, by offering things other than the base products themselves. If it is a place you can buy CCGs, RPGs, minis, and associated accessories in a way the buyer can browse before buying, and the place also has an area where games and tournaments can be held, it has a chance. The browsing, playing, and impulse-buying are things the online retailer cannot provide, so they are key in competing.

(I don't mean to sound overwhelmingly harsh, but people lose a lot of money starting businesses based on their interests/loves, instead of on what the local market needs/can support)

True, but on the other hand, one of the key ways to be successful is to love what you do so you have enthusiasm. Lack of enthusiasm will kill any business, no matter your market.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I would call you a fool. Have you spoken to a lot of game store owners lately? 4E isn't making a big dent because stores make their money on cards and mini's, but..the books get people in so that they can blow big and regular on the things that they actually make money on.

If I were you, I'd get a dream of flipping houses instead. Why micturate away your savings and emotions on a very, very risky investment that does not result in ever making back your expenses (nowadays)?

jh

Last edited:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Abstraction said:
Me and my good buddy are finally going to make the dream come true and open a game shop (of course we both will still have to work elsewhere for actual money :( ). We were inspired to go forward because of 4E coming out, seemed like a good time to get into business.

Our plan is to not buy any 3.x D&D as it doesn't seem a wise investment, and jump right into 4E. We will of course have board games, card games, minis, dice and all the other stuff. We were thinking of opening doors about a month before core books hit. What do you think? Sooner, later?

How long do you intend to stay in business ?

4 e will just be a short boost in sales, so do not base your business plan on just this. Heck ! I live in a HUGE city with a LOT of gamers.... and ....

The game shops are EMPTY. Everybody is holding its breath. And when there is actually something for sale ... It ain't a RPG. it's a mini. Or a board game.

Mallus

Legend
Umbran said:
Most frequently, by offering things other than the base products themselves.
Sure, which is why I mentioned the comic shops in Philly that also carry game materials. But I do think it's telling that in a city that doesn't lack for gamers there are exactly zero dedicated game stores.

The browsing, playing, and impulse-buying are things the online retailer cannot provide, so they are key in competing.
Huh? I do plenty of browsing and impulse buying on Amazon :) Frankly, the customer feedback I can read online is far more helpful than the extremely limited play experience I can get in a gaming store. RPG's take time to evaluate. I'd rather read a summary of group's 6 month campaign with a new system than spend an hour down at the local Dork Shack in the hopes someone's demoing it.

Lack of enthusiasm will kill any business, no matter your market.
As will lack of customer base. The key is to do some research.

Cadfan

First Post
Abstraction-

I agree with not stocking 3e materials. But, I wouldn't expect 4e to be a big enough splash to justify delaying opening your shop.

IF your area has enough room for a(nother) gaming store, then you might as well open now. I would counsel caution, though.

Consider seriously what you intend to accomplish. Do you intend for this store to be your full time job? Or do you intend for the store to break even, maybe make a couple of bucks, and to be something you do as a second job?

Consider seriously what competition is in your area. What do they mostly sell? Is there some niche they're neglecting?

Consider seriously who your target market will be. A store which appeals primarily to miniature wargamers will not necessarily get the kids in the door to buy collectibles, for example.

If you expect to sell to the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd (and there's nothing wrong with courting that crowed), consider seriously whether you can afford to invest the money in making your store family friendly. Consider whether you can invest enough of your personal time to make the store family friendly. A family friendly store needs to not make parents nervous when they leave their kid there. It needs trustworthy looking adults, a clean atmosphere, nice lighting, and so on.

Consider whether you can afford the space for tables. You can't sell extras like food and drink if you don't have tables for people to play.

Consider whether you can invest the time and money necessary to sell your product. Something like an official game night for kids and families can be a great way to move boardgames, for example. Can you dedicate a regular weekend once or twice a month to this? Can you afford to use your own inventory to demo games, knowing that any game you open to demo will be unsellable?

Can you invest the time necessary to make sure that coming to your store, or purchasing games through you, is more pleasant than doing it online?

Do you know enough about business to run the place? Have you considered courses in small business ownership, and retail?

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to put some of the realities out there.

My area has three gaming stores in a half hour's drive from most of the bedroom communities.

One is a pretty professional looking store that sells primarily to the collectible card gaming / collectible miniature gaming community. Its bright, well lit, has good, clean carpet, good clean lighting, and is in a respectable plaza. It runs regular tournaments for kids, and has a small crowd in it most nights and weekends. Its also a full time job for its owner, and even with this success, I doubt he's rolling in cash. This store does not sell miniatures, and moves very few books or boardgames.

A second store focuses heavily on boardgames and gaming books, with only a side business in collectible card games, and barely any collectible miniatures. Its bright and clean, and has a "game day" every other month, which is like a little miniature store wide convention. Its employees are on hand constantly, doubled up, so that if you want to learn a new game, someone is available to play it with you. Its in a decent but not amazing plaza. What makes this store tick? Mostly the fact that its employees are pseudo volunteers, none of whom works there full time. I believe the owner is the same.

Finally, there's a store that caters to miniature wargamers. Its the only store where you can find a full wall of Games Workshop or Privateer Press stuff. It barely has books or board games at all, doesn't carry collectible card games, and mostly neglects the collectible miniature games. It isn't particularly clean, and only after being open a year did they upgrade from carpet samples to an actual carpet. Its in a lousy area, and honestly, I wouldn't want to leave kids there. But this store works because wargamers don't mind these things, and because its owners and employees all have other jobs and don't particularly care how much money they make. They operate the place on a "break even and we're happy" philosophy.

I figured I'd give you this information as a sort of comparison. Of three stores, only one has an owner who works full time. Only one pays his employees "real" wages. One is run like a hobby and makes no meaningful profit, and one exists in a sort of neutral zone between those extremes.

Decide what your goals are, and maybe opening a store is for you. But think about it seriously. There used to be five gaming stores in my area. Now there are three.

Remove ads