D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

This is a lie. Get it LIE. And I've called people out on this several times. Either produce a quote in context that says - D&D 5e cannot contain a mechanic X even if I would be able to remove it. I have said if I can't remove it for my games then it is problematic. That is miles different.

On re-reading your posts, you are right. My apologies.

Your talking about games that WOTC dreams sales wise of returning to one day. 4e's greatest claim to fame was creating a cottage industry of 3e clones.

The games that WotC dream to returning to sales wise with D&D aren't 3.0. They are 1e and the Red Box. Both written for pawn stance - and pretty much the opposite of what you are saying they should do. But in all three cases D&D caught the zeitgeist - I believe that the OGL was an extremely good thing for the sales of D&D because it provided a mountain of free advertising and word of mouth among the geek crowd.

The earlier editions could be played either way. 4e could be played one way.

You say that as if it is true. It isn't. You can only play 4e one way. I find the 4e powers structure far more immersionist than spam-play. I'll go into why below.

I keep repeating and you keep not listening. That is the common theme I see across those who don't understand dissociative mechanics.

No. You keep repeating. We keep rebutting - as here - and you keep ignoring that you do not have a single unrefuted point on the table or that when your points are countered, you should defend them.

If as a player I say - I swing my sword and then I roll to see if my sword hits then that is very correlative. I could also say that I attack the enemy oer the course of one minute seeking for a key opening and stab when the chance arises. In either case my player is thinking exactly what my character is thinking.

And this is why, to me, your supposed immersion fails. You are not thinking the way either I do or anyone else I have spoken to does except at the most superficial level possible - at this level of zoom, the wizard would be saying "I cast an evocation to kill him".

When I have a sword in my hand and am in the middle of combat I'm not thinking about what I want to do. I'm thinking about how. The what is really incredibly obvious. I'm thinking about where everyone is, and how I can exploit that. I'm looking for openings which may or may not be there. Which is precisely the way it works in 4e - and not at all the way it works in AD&D. With a sword in my hand I'm looking for opportunities, I'm seeing them, I'm exploiting them, and I don't have time to worry about what isn't there. With AEDU I'm looking forn opportunities, I'm seeing them, I'm exploiting them. With action-spam I'm not looking for opportunities, I'm choosing between options that are always there. I therefore find this disassociative because it means that limited and fleeting opportunities don't exist.

And as for powers being limited use and this not being a problem in character, even in chess one of the differences between Grand Masters and beginners is that good players literally do not see the bad moves on the board. They subconsciously notice and discard them. Warriors, likewise. They practice chunking and especially chunking in motor learning (see also). 4e martial powers are excellently chunked and without limited use powers I'm not looking for fleeting and semi-fleeting opportunities.

Limited use player controlled tactical powers: An aid to tactical play, an aid to narrative play, and an aid to immersion. (This, incidently, is where 13th Age goes wrong - the riders are chosen after the dice is rolled).

This, of course, doesn't mean that AEDU is the only way. Merely that limited availability powers are essential for fighters to be immersive and associated at a tactical level. (Note: Limited availability isn't the same as limited use. You could, for instance, borrow the Crusader mechanic where only some of the standard chunks/katas/combinations/powers your character uses are available at any time but which ones are refreshes every few rounds - and fall back on the basic attack if nothing presents itself).

So yeah, I get what you mean by dissassociation. And that only some editions of D&D allow you to match what's going on in a warrior's head in combat. Those the two I know about are 3.5: Book of Nine Swords, and 4e.

On the other hand - if as a player I say - right now at this moment is when I am going to find an opening in the enemies defenses so I can make my special thrusting attack - then that is dissociative.

And completely not the way I do it. I see what I can do. I respond. I do it. That is wholly and completely the way I think both playing 4e and when I have a sword in my hand. That you find it dissassociative is, to me, merely an indication that you are not as immersed as you think.

If I have a finite number of manuevers that are finite for game balance reasons and in reality are finite in the fictional world then I have issue.

Why? In character I don't know those limitations. I only see the options that are there. The ones laid out by the power cards.

So for me I need a game that at least offers a mode of play that is without plot coupons.

Actually succeeding at immersion and chunking what you can do works. Which means that every class in 4e is associated if you avoid one or two powers (Come And Get It springs to mind).

I find level advancement and xp as something we handle outside the game. Characters do not think about it at all.

I believe that's a contradiction to what you said earlier where you mentioned your spell levels have names. Characters think about spell levels. Therefore they think about levels.

I haven't played those games so can't comment.

Try some of them. They do what you claim to do from D&D a lot better.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Isn't this, generally, the answer to anything that gives people trouble in RPGs? Don't use the stuff that gives you trouble? And isn't that response often met by people claiming the Oberoni fallacy (as it it's possible to design a game where there is no element that will give groups and their play styles trouble)?

Yes and no. The Oberoni fallacy only really applies to embedded rules, if it is to have any usefulness. People can always find a monster or feat or something they don't care for. I think what trips people up in 4E on this particular question is illustrated by a comparison with 1E psionics:
  • If you don't like psionics in 1E, don't use them. They are a tiny minority of available stuff, and are called out in a separate section mostly, and then the DM probably won't use particular monsters either.
  • If you don't like metagaming powers in 4E, don't use them. They are a tiny minority of available stuff, but aren't explicitly called in a separate section (or any other way), and then the DM will need to survey monster powers for an occasional one that might not make sense.
Which is why a bunch of us that like 4E have been saying for some time, "presentation problem." 4E would immediately be more palatable to more people if it simply explicitly called out, by keyword, organization, etc. which effects are geared towars a more narrative style. Then it would be trivial to ignore them, as there are plenty of other options.

This is always why I have been saying that modules in Next should be clearly labeled as to their purpose and likely effect.

Balesir

Adventurer
Well I meant that I derive the most pleasure from games with a strong simulationist element. I did not intend to imply that there are not narrativist and/or gamist elements to my gaming. Just that things to go against simulationist preferences tend to bother me. Thus I call myself a simulationist which I intended to mean as nothing more than tends that way.
I'm not sure that you are using "Simulationist" in the GNS sense (as you said you were), here. The GNS agendas are things that are focussed or concentrated upon in game play - the things which, at any specific instant of actual play, are at the forefront of the player's mind when considering what they want the play to generate. As such, I don't think that "things that go against simulationist preferences" really makes much sense except as "things that distract me into addressing other agendas for play". This means that, if you are at the present instant addressing a gamist or narrativist agenda, the simulationist one is a bust, since you are, by definition, distracted from it.

I think what you are describing here is something different; more to do with whether your suspension of disbelief is being disrupted - which I'll come back to, because other posts have things to say about that, too.

I haven't looked at those games so forgive me if I'm off on this. But a game being abstract or not abstract has nothing to do with a game being simulationist or not. So 1e,2e, and 3e D&D were all able to be played in a simulationist style. Of course you could play them in other styles too. To me that is a good quality in a mainstream roleplaying game. The ability to be versatile playstyle wise. Because I theorize that there are approx the same number of people who favor one of the GNS styles.
You can play any game in "simulationist style", I think. You just have to focus on "dreaming the imagined reality" rather than on overcoming obstacles through player cleverness or luck, or on creating dramatic conflicts to "force" a dramatic story to emerge.

Speaking purely for myself, I find that the D&D elements of experience points (driving me to think about tackling and overcoming challenges rather than just "experiencing the world") and treasure tend to distract me from the Simulationist exploration of the game world/situation/character/etc. For some this will be less of a problem, but I still think that a game without these elements suits Sim play better than D&D.

I liked D&D all the way until 4e. 4e is the only edition that I actively disliked. I found that game eliminated the playstyle I liked from the game. It made assumptions about what is and isn't fun that I think were false for some people and true for others. But by forcing a single style, they drove off a lot of people with other styles.
I think every edition of D&D has done this - some less consciously than others. It has been claimed that older editions were "broader" because they "allowed" all GNS preferences, for example. To some degree this might be true, but the lack of any clear and unambiguous rules about a range of game elements in older editions I certainly found compromised the pursuit of a gamist agenda significantly. In retrospect, I think one major reason I gave up D&D for other RPGs for so long was that it simultaneously pushed me towards a Gamist agenda by the experience and treasure systems/assumptions, and made tackling challenges through pure skill and luck impossible by having so many areas of the rules subject to DM whim/beliefs about "reality".

The form of constraint on magic can be pretty much anything. Magic is after all, outside the players' direct experience. A player cannot look at the magical framework and say (with a straight face) "That's unrealistic! Magic doesn't work THAT way."
I think I reached a watershed when I could look at D&D and other RPG frameworks for combat, climbing and such like and say (with a straight face) "That's unrealistic! Combat/climbing/whatever doesn't work THAT way."

Interestingly, I think this is a serious weakness with process-Sim (and hence of process-Sim reliance, which I broke free of around the time I hit this watershed). It works fine as long as the folk involved buy into the idea that the process being simulated actually does (or at least can) work the way it is portrayed. Once they see the process as implausible, they can no longer cope with the system that uses that process. There are two ways around this:

1) Come up with an alternative process that all present do find plausible.

2) Model outcomes only, abandoning the explicit modelling of processes, and let each person present come up with their own assumptions concerning the process that led to the outcome.

Telling a player that a Fighter may only swing a sword 3 times a day regardless of success, rest, etc. will be treated differently than telling the same player that a Magic-User can only cast 3 spells a day. It's the same constraint, but the Fighter version will get a lot more complaint.
If you make the situation that extreme, sure. But it can be a lot more subtle, I think.

HârnMaster has the concept of "Tactical Advantages". These are things you can "win" in combat as a result of a particularly successful defence or attack to gain a "free action"; they help represent the shifting initiative of a swordfight and allow fighters - especially skilled ones - to strike several times during a (roughly 10 second) combat round. The base rules arbitrarily restrict the number of TAs that can be earned to one per character-turn. This is not an ideal solution is several ways, but it is generally agreed that simply allowing unlimited TAs is also problematic. A solution I like is to say that TAs may be unlimited, but any specific aspect of a weapon (the edge, the point, and so on) may be used only once in attack per complete round. Some folk love this rule; it restricts the potential effectiveness of an extremely skilled or lucky fighter and also gives outcomes that are seen in actual armed combat with melee weapons - that blows are attempted with any aspect of a weapon that bears, not exclusively with the most "effective" aspect. But some folk hate the rule, because they see the choice of weapon aspect as a character choice, and the limitation to "only once per aspect per round" as not modelling the process - some even prefer a system where the choice of aspect is actually limited randomly every time a strike is attempted.

In short, we seldom really understand even "mundane" processes and, even when we do, concocting systems that model not only outcomes but also processes and are still simple and have low handling time is typically too hard to actually be achieved.

Different players are willing to accept different levels of game constraint and I don't think this axis lines up with any other (simulationism, immersiveness, personality types, whatever).
I think you may well be right, here.

I do think, though, that the ability to mentally model the processes "inside" a system that generates plausible outcomes is a learnable skill, and a very valuable one.

So I have some questions about the labels:
I think your questions had more to do with the function and purpose of "Simulationist and process-Sim mechanics" than with the labels, but whatever. I had a range of nuances running through my mind with each statement, but the only one I think really gets to the nub of the issue is this one:
6) is it controversial to suggest that the quantity and quality of "Immersion" (or "in-character roleplaying") is increased when everyone has the same/similar understanding of the shared fiction (as helped by the rules/mechanics)?
In my opinion, yes - because I don't think this is (necessarily) true at all.

There are certain points - let's call them "facts" - about the shared fiction that the players must all agree on, I think that is clear. But there is a level where that becomes unnecessary - as indeed it must if play is to be possible at all, since it would be impossible for every player to have the exact same mental model of precisely what happens in the fiction in all places and at all times (we don't even have such an awareness of the "real" world as that!)

The question, it seems to me, is one of degree. Of ascertaining at what 'level' everyone needs to agree. To take a simple example: a combatant strikes another with a sword. Does he do so via a Conanesque swing of the blade timed such that his adversary's shield is not placed to be able to defend? Or does he strike with his shield so as to bind the adversary's weapon and shield while simultaneously cutting up into the opponent's armpit as he does so? Does it really matter if I see it happening one way (the way I would find believable - the second way) and another player sees it happening the other way? The facts we share are that (i) the swordsman struck, and (ii) his opponent is now disabled on the ground.

As long as we both have the same outcome pictured in our heads, does it matter that we each envisioned the route to that outcome in our own way - a way that we each, separately, found believable in the fiction?

Isn't this, generally, the answer to anything that gives people trouble in RPGs? Don't use the stuff that gives you trouble? And isn't that response often met by people claiming the Oberoni fallacy (as it it's possible to design a game where there is no element that will give groups and their play styles trouble)?
I think this may be different if the "trouble" relates only to those game elements that the player uses him- or herself. If you are troubled by using certain abilities, then you can avoid this simply by not using them; no rules changes (houserules) are necessary. If, on the other hand, other players using those abilities causes the same problems, then houseruling would be required to eliminate the issue. There is an additional issue, then, however, in that you would need not only houserules, but also other players that are prepared to be limited in the way prescribed by such houserules.

Last edited:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'll bite. I make the same reservations on answers that you made on the questions, so I don't think this really reduces to concise answers without losing meaning. :)

1) is it controversial to suggest that an important purpose of "Simulationist" mechanics is to help keep everyone on the same page within the fiction? (ie., when I use mechanic X, my PC is swinging my sword and every player knows it)

That may be the intention in some cases. I think the primary purpose is usually to model a world as "directly" as possible. The distinction becomes important when you look beyond process simulation to other types.

2) is it controversial to suggest that "Process Sim" mechanics also help keep everyone on the same page (as above)?

In a fine grain or narrow area, yes, they often do. Wider, no. They can rapidly become counter-productive at keeping everyone on the same page, though the line will vary by a person's experience and preferences. (Example, engineers are notoriously hard to please in some science fiction roleplaying by process sim that others can use without blinking.)

3) is it controversial to suggest that "Process Sim" mechanics also help keep players in actor stance? (ie., the action is resolved by default with the same linear cause-and-effect that the player would experience through the POV of the PC)

Similar to the above answer, with the additional bit that reliance on direct cause and effect is also very dependent upon the person. I don't think it at all controversial to suggest that some people find process sim not only useful but necessary to stay in actor stance, at least in certain areas of a game. That such is universal is not only controversial but flat out false. :D

4) is it controversial to suggest that with non-"Simulationist" and non-"Process Sim" mechanics, players are more frequently realigning their understanding of the shared fiction as it is shaped throughout the course of game play.

This one is tricky. My short answer is that I don't think frequency has anything to do with it. Rather, I think that such realignment happens with everyone in one form or another. It is how and why it happens that varies by group.

5) is it controversial to suggest that an abstract mechanic (like hit points) can be pragmatically simulationist (lower case 's') if/whenever all players are on the same page in the way they associate the mechanic to the game world?

It's not controversial at all if the abstract mechanic is directed at "result simulation". That's why result simulation was developed as a technique--to abstract process away in favor of getting the expected result in the model. (That's not the only use of abstraction, but it is a common one in simulation.) Other than that, I would find it controversial to make such a suggestion (or maybe an indication of confusion on the nature of models and abstractions).

6) is it controversial to suggest that the quantity and quality of "Immersion" (or "in-character roleplaying") is increased when everyone has the same/similar understanding of the shared fiction (as helped by the rules/mechanics)?

To the extent and degree that immersion is a desired state, it can be helped by the above. Keep in mind, however, that there are lots of ways that rules can create a shared understanding. Example, if everyone is fine with each player having narrative rights on particular parts of the fiction, then it is not a immersion-breaking for the player to exercise those rights. Yet, another person not fine with this technique would probably find it constantly jarring to immersion, even at the same table where it was used to good effect.

Overall, you also most account for the simple fact that for some people immersion is the primary goal, while for others it is secondary or even tertiary. It has been generally true that people who set immersion as a primary goal have been attracted to more process simulation than others, at least on the surface level.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yes and no. The Oberoni fallacy only really applies to embedded rules, if it is to have any usefulness. People can always find a monster or feat or something they don't care for.

What counts as embedded rules, though? Magic item creation? Teleport and fly spells? Save or die spells? High level spells? Monsters with high ACs that are really hard for anyone but an optimized fighter to hit? Scry/buff/teleport attacks? Monsters with really high grappling bonuses and improved grab? Wands of cure light wounds?

Underman

First Post
Overall, you also most account for the simple fact that for some people immersion is the primary goal, while for others it is secondary or even tertiary. It has been generally true that people who set immersion as a primary goal have been attracted to more process simulation than others, at least on the surface level.
Yes to this point for sure. Still thinking about the rest of your points.

I have a vague post in mind about how immersion (the kind I always knew) worked best with good worldbuilding. Good compelling fluff builds the world in-game. "Simulationist" mechanics then help the players roleplay the PCs in ways that are consistent with fluff world building and keep it cohesive. Something like that... I don't know if world-building/exploration is my primary goal and immersion comes second, or vice versa.

Other than a few quibbles, I really like where 5E is heading now. I strongly disliked 4e warlocks, and I love the playtest warlock. There's tons of world-building right there, and it feels like the mechanics mesh/associate quite well with the fluff. It's as if the playtest was vetted by an immersionist- or exploration-oriented designer who understands my preferences and not a narrativist-focused designer who thinks they understand my preferences but gets it wrong. I just happen to be on the right side of the fence this time round.

Last edited:

<snip>

I think I reached a watershed when I could look at D&D and other RPG frameworks for combat, climbing and such like and say (with a straight face) "That's unrealistic! Combat/climbing/whatever doesn't work THAT way."

Interestingly, I think this is a serious weakness with process-Sim (and hence of process-Sim reliance, which I broke free of around the time I hit this watershed). It works fine as long as the folk involved buy into the idea that the process being simulated actually does (or at least can) work the way it is portrayed. Once they see the process as implausible, they can no longer cope with the system that uses that process. There are two ways around this:

1) Come up with an alternative process that all present do find plausible.

2) Model outcomes only, abandoning the explicit modelling of processes, and let each person present come up with their own assumptions concerning the process that led to the outcome.

<snip>

The whole post is extremely good but this bit right here, hopefully, will be illuminating to folks. I have tried to convey this multiple times now. My guess is that there will be a strong measure of uniformity on the above evolution of gaming style with most of the 4e advocates on this thread.

DnD Process Sim falls apart, badly, under intense scrutiny. Expectations of Process Sim are premised upon scrutiny. Therefore, you have three choices:

- Move away from DnD and find a better Process Sim system.
- Lower your expectations and/or pretend that DnD Process Sim does the job just fine by ignoring its problems.
- In-fill the holes in the Process Sim model with Outcome-Based results and allow the DM, or each player (or the group collectively) to Post-Hoc narrate "how we got here" or "what happened".

I've put "Simulationist" and "Process Sim" in quotations marks on purpose in case we have different usage of those labels.

@Crazy Jerome has done a thorough job of answering your questions (and I'm in agreement with all of his answers) and @Balesir has done an excellent job with 6. Therefore my efforts would be superfluous. However, I think I can (hopefully) lend a hand in trying to clarify "Simulation" and "Process Simulation".

Simulation: The discipline of imitating a macro-system (typically real-world) over time. This is done by way of developing a model of the system which will represent the key physical interactions and behaviors (* parameters) of the system you are imitating. In order for the model to bear out fidelity to the system you are attempting to imitate, you must first constrain each of the parameters. The more unconstrained the parameter (eg higher margin-of-error, high upper and lower bounds, more abstracted), the more latent entropy you load into the model when you run the simulation. The more latent entropy you load into the model, the greater the chance of realized entropy to to manifest in any one run. The more realized entropy manifesting in a model run, the greater the chance that the model run will not properly imitate the system, over time, that you are simulating.

Process-Simulation: The discipline of imitating a micro-system (typically real-world) right now. These micro-phenomena are your * parameters in the Simulation of a macro-system. The more unconstrained (by way of being abstracted or being unphysical) these parameters are, the worse the Simulation will perform in its effort to model the macro-system over time.

I hope that helps.

I also hope that you can maybe understand mine (and others) issues with DnD from both a Simulation and Process-Simulation perspective.

1 - Within DnD's "implied setting", there are numerous "unphysical" mundane interactions that defy fundamental physical laws. These are not small things and are "in your face" as you attempt to play overarching "Simulation" and as you try to resolve "Process Sim."

2 - Embedded in DnD's mechanics, there are an enormous number of abstractions with hugely unconstrained upper and lower bounds.

These are used to micro-"paramaterize" the DnD model which is then used to Simulate the macro-world of "High Fantasy World Married to Well-Understood Physical Laws." The amount of latent entropy loaded into the model run due to 1 and 2 is quite large. As you perform "model runs" for the Simulation in your head, the upper and lower bounds are extremely wide. Within the margin-of-error of multiple model runs you will find "Well Modeled High Fantasy World Married to Well-Understood Physical Laws." However, the margin-of-error is so large that you could not hope to fairly say "this Simulation reliably reproduces/represents the macro-system we are attempting to imitate."

This is if you are trying to Simulate "High Fantasy World Maried to Well-Understood Physical Laws." If you are trying to Emulate (not simulate) "Heroic Action Adventure Per Cinema" then you can accept Outcome-Based-Simulation to parameterize the overarching macro-system which you are Emulating. In this effort you are trading precision of model (Emulation rather than Simulation) and accepting Gamist conceits and Narrativist conventions to enhance your ability to capture "Genre Emulation." When your "playstyle aim" is such, you can forgive "embedded abstractions" and "unphysical elements" and just focus on "being John McClaine (or whomever)" and creating a fun, tactical, strategic, genre-relevant story/game.

If you wish, I can contrive a post whereby I define:

Emulation:

Outcome-Based Simulation:

However, I hope the above paragraph is sufficient for you to extrapolate.

Underman

First Post
DnD Process Sim falls apart, badly, under intense scrutiny. Expectations of Process Sim are premised upon scrutiny. Therefore, you have three choices:

- Move away from DnD and find a better Process Sim system.
Let's be pragmatic and not arm chair academics and rule this out for most people, k?

- Lower your expectations and/or pretend that DnD Process Sim does the job just fine by ignoring its problems.
You know, still a little too condescending for my taste. Would anybody here like me to write that "I could play 4E by lowering my expectations and/or pretending that DnD Results Sim does the job just fine by ignoring its problems"? Anybody?

- In-fill the holes in the Process Sim model with Outcome-Based results and allow the DM, or each player (or the group collectively) to Post-Hoc narrate "how we got here" or "what happened".
If the "problem" is that Process Sim falls apart "badly" upon scrutiny, then do you apply equal scrutiny to the post-hoc/ad-hoc narration made by players and DM?

How does anything the player narrate make sense under the same scrutiny? Or do you just lower your expectations? If yes, aren't just ignoring a different problem, but a problem that is more palatable to you?

Underman

First Post
However, I hope the above paragraph is sufficient for you to extrapolate.
Thank you for the effort. I will review it over time along with CJ's comments. My conclusion so far is, unfortunately, that using these terms is a minefield and I best leave it alone. I normally would take it at face value and try to find value in it. However, a handful of you guys seem rather hostile towards a certain playstyle (namely, using D&D for sim/immersion purposes) and it feels a whole lot like you're using this armchair academia like a club to beat people on the head. Because of that (real or imagined) attitude, I don't know that I can derive a whole lot of value out of it - I would be using semantics against those who are far more proficient with those semantic weapons.

Remove ads